Swapping to 25mm tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Well if I don't like the Kendas, I guess I can always change them. What 25 mm tyres do you run?
I don't spend a lot on tyres but I do try to pick ones that are good for the money. I have liked Michelin Lithions and Vittoria Rubino Slicks. There are newer versions of both types available now.

I don't agree with using calculators to tell me what tyre pressures to use - I prefer to experiment and find out what suits me, my bike and my local roads. I always go for lower figures than the calculators come up with. I wouldn't use 100 psi on 25Cs (Eddy, above). I'd probably try 80/90 (front/rear). Maybe I'd use 85-90/95-100 (front/rear) on 23Cs.

OP
OP
Welsh wheels

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
I don't spend a lot on tyres but I do try to pick ones that are good for the money. I have liked Michelin Lithions and Vittoria Rubino Slicks. There are newer versions of both types available now.

I don't agree with using calculators to tell me what tyre pressures to use - I prefer to experiment and find out what suits me, my bike and my local roads. I always go for lower figures than the calculators come up with. I wouldn't use 100 psi on 25Cs (Eddy, above). I'd probably try 80/90 (front/rear). Maybe I'd use 85-90/95-100 (front/rear) on 23Cs.
Thanks

U

User6179

Interesting that so far no-one has said anything negative about 25mm tyres. Maybe I should have swapped before.

Only negative I found is if you snap a spoke, with 23s you can usually just loosen the brakes and cycle home, with 25s you might need to tighten/loosen a few spokes to stop the tyre rub.

GuyBoden

Guru
Check that your bike has clearance for bigger tyres, my 28mm tyres only have 2-3mm clearance and are a nightmare when I ride over newly surfaced loose chippings roads. My wheels lockup.

"Surface dressing involves spraying a stretch of road with bitumen and covering it with granite chippings, which are rolled into place and further embedded as cars drive over the area. Once set, excess chippings are swept away."

http://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/cheap-chippings-cause-road-chaos-for-cyclists-27095
Headley_Common_Rd_gravel_close.jpg

U

User169

Haha, that might be a bit slow for my liking

Didn't notice ant drop in speed, but did notice a big increase in comfort.. I've now gone up to up to 35mm.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Check that your bike has clearance for bigger tyres, my 28mm tyres only have 2-3mm clearance and are a nightmare when I ride over newly surfaced loose chippings roads. My wheels lockup.

"Surface dressing involves spraying a stretch of road with bitumen and covering it with granite chippings, which are rolled into place and further embedded as cars drive over the area. Once set, excess chippings are swept away."

http://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/cheap-chippings-cause-road-chaos-for-cyclists-27095
View attachment 357250
https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/kick-in-the-asphalt-1

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Good point!

Some of my bikes have more clearance than others, and it is different front and rear too. I'm fairly sure that 28s would be ok in place of some of the tyres but some would be very tight and definitely within locking-up distance of the frame/fork.

PlanB

I have 3 bikes running 23, 25 & 28mm slick tyres.

The 23's at 120 psi are a rough ride ... but my fastest bike.
The Vittoria Rubino's at 25mm are sweet, just perfect really.
No plans to move to 28's on all bikes, but a trio of 25mm is a strong possibility?

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
[QUOTE 4845095, member: 45"]That's depends on the tread pattern.

:okay:[/QUOTE]
Just be sure to put the tyres on with the tread pattern facing in the correct direction, otherwise the Velominati will send their standover men to kneecap you, and it's a bit tricky to pedal without knees.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
It all depends on the tyre, and the real dimensions. On my bikes - Lithion 2 23mm @100psi = 24.87mm wide, Mavic Yksion Comp 25mm @100psi = 24.93mm. Both wheels Aksiums, Lithion 2 wheel circumference 2112mm, Mavic Yksion wheel 2131mm, so the 25mm tyre is fractionally fatter than the 23mm one. Can I detect any real difference? Not really.

Top Bottom