Swapping to 25mm tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
My new bike will have 25 mm tyres, what differences can I expect from the 23mm tyres on my current bike? I assuming they will be more comfortable and perhaps more puncture resistant but maybe there will be a decrease in speed?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
They should be a little more comfortable (use slightly lower pressures than you do your 23s), about the same for punctures, and no slower. I like 25s. In fact, I am even thinking of trying to see if I can squeeze 28s on next time I replace my tyres.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
My new bike will have 25 mm tyres, what differences can I expect from the 23mm tyres on my current bike? I assuming they will be more comfortable and perhaps more puncture resistant but maybe there will be a decrease in speed?
No not really, but it depends more on the tyre brand and construction than the size.
For example going from a 23c pro race to a 25c marathon plus, you will go slower! But a 23 marathon plus to a 25c pro race you will go faster!

OP
OP
Welsh wheels

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
They should be a little more comfortable (use slightly lower pressures than you do your 23s), about the same for punctures, and no slower. I like 25s. In fact, I am even thinking of trying to see if I can squeeze 28s on next time I replace my tyres.
That sounds good. I'll have to remember to run them at lower pressures!

OP
OP
Welsh wheels

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
No not really, but it depends more on the tyre brand and construction than the size.
For example going from a 23c pro race to a 25c marathon plus, you will go slower! But a 23 marathon plus to a 25c pro race you will go faster!
My new bike is coming with Kenda Kriteriums, so not the fastest tyres around!

OP
OP
Welsh wheels

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
Ah, I hadn't factored in that they are different types ... I was talking about bigger tyres of the same type. A good quality narrowish tyre could beat a cheap and nasty wider tyre in every respect!
Well if I don't like the Kendas, I guess I can always change them. What 25 mm tyres do you run?

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I have been using Durano Plus 25s recently and like them. Probably too heavy for racing but for anything else they roll nicely and so far have proved to be tough enough for our crap roads.

lots of racers using 25c tyres these days so I don't think you will notice any loss of performance and will get a noticeable improvement in comfort.

Top Bottom