Swapping to 25mm tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
"Surface dressing involves spraying a stretch of road with bitumen and covering it with granite chippings, which are rolled into place and further embedded as cars drive over the area. Once set, excess chippings are swept away."
I think you'll find that many contractors have done away with that sweeping step and excess chippings are left to drift around the road surface and form moraines, scraping off other chippings as they get ground around. So within a few months, you've got a road that's now both a dangerous skid hazard for cyclists and even more uneven than when they dressed it. :thumbsdown:

Why have they changed the process and made it worse? Maybe it lets contractors get more resurfacing work, although some of their chip supper dog's dinners are still there two years on.

GuyBoden

Guru
I think you'll find that many contractors have done away with that sweeping step and excess chippings are left to drift around the road surface and form moraines, scraping off other chippings as they get ground around. So within a few months, you've got a road that's now both a dangerous skid hazard for cyclists and even more uneven than when they dressed it. :thumbsdown:

Why have they changed the process and made it worse? Maybe it lets contractors get more resurfacing work, although some of their chip supper dog's dinners are still there two years on.

There has been numerous petitions against this practice, one even had over 10,000 signers.

I had to stop and clear a chipping from my bike's rear brake again on today's ride, due to a recently surfaced road with chippings.
http://road.cc/content/news/127430-petition-against-surface-dressing-gets-10000-signatures

Reactions: mjr
Top Bottom