Switching power suppliers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just turn off the one bar fire and put another cardy on.

Broadside

Guru
Thanks for that. I've just seen that by changing to fixed till May 2016 I can save £200+. I suppose it depends, then, what you think may happen to the variable rate till then.

I'm planning on switching this week too, but it does seem mad to go with a fixed deal now when oil prices are tumbling. But as @vickster says, the chance of the home energy suppliers dropping tariffs anytime soon is probably remote.

I'm with British Gas at the moment after moving home recently and Scottish Power are the best deal according to uswitch so I am just going with that, it has to be better than the standard BG tariff we moved in with!

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
We usually change each year too. We are now with Ovo, and we send in our figures monthly though they are trying to get us to upgrade our meter (old dial style), but every time they ring to offer dates they only seem to have one unsuitable date left!

Levo-Lon

Guru
The wife pays the gas electric and checks tariffs ,we have eon after scottish power got a tad greedy.
my mum has just switched tv phone and internet from sky bt to virginn, saving 20 quid a month!!

Its just the hassel changing that stops most of us

stephec

Legendary Member
I switched 6 months ago. Potentially a £300+ saving over the previous lot. I switch regularly, I'm a slut.
I do the same, and with the mortgage as well. :smile:

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Rich

Having recently moved, I have just switched to OVO from SSE, following favourable reviews and good service awards. The switching process takes a while but I don't really have to do anything, OVO take care of it all. Definitely worth switching if you can find a cheaper rate.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
We are one of those households that have never switched. We are with British Gas for both Gas and Electricity. Mrs Ian sorts it all out, so will ask het to look into switching to see if we can save some dosh.

Our last quarterly combined bill was just over £500

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Rich

Having recently moved, I have just switched to OVO from SSE, following favourable reviews and good service awards. The switching process takes a while but I don't really have to do anything, OVO take care of it all. Definitely worth switching if you can find a cheaper rate.
Cheers Ducky, Ovo came second in the possible savings comparison. They have a £30 per fuel, exit charge though which is a deterrent to switching again at a later date.
Are you on a fixed rate and for how long, if so.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Er... now you're asking! I think we are on the Online tarrif and when I read the T's & C's I don't recall seeing any 30 quid exit fee... serves me right for skim reading! I think it's fixed term for 12 months - will have a butcher's at the site or emails and let you know.

I have switched a few years and it was more hassle than it was worth, so not all suppliers are the same, in this respect. I suppose they have had to up their game in the service aspect, competition being as it is these days!

subaqua

What’s the point
we have been with EDF for year. not on the same tariff though, and if you call the nice customer service centre ( Not had a problem for 10 years now) they put us on the best tariff. we look at the overall costs not just the tariff as the discounts for DD and dual fuel need to be taken into account.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
http://www.ovoenergy.com/coreterms2014/

1.15. The “Termination Fee” is £30 for each fuel (gas/electricity) you receive from us as part of the Supply.

B*llocks :sad:

So we're on the Better Energy plan - fixed rates for 12 months. All online and 15% renewable energy. They give you a cpl of weeks cooling off period when you switch, incase you change your mind.

Top Bottom