Switching power suppliers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
[QUOTE 3544038, member: 9609"]I'm more than happy for the very wealthy members of CC to find such savings so piddly that they can in effect subsidies me - and 350 is three figures![/QUOTE]

And as I said, I am far from wealthy and (I hope she doesn't mind me saying), TMN is far from wealthy too. As what @McWobble has pointed out. For £50 and all the hassle that goes with it. I have far better things to do with my time.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
[QUOTE 3544386, member: 9609"]see post #42

and as for the hassle, never had any problems that were not quickly and simply resolved.[/QUOTE]

Sorry but don't want to show my income on the forum.. but will reiterate. Although we live comfortably, we are far from wealthy, we do watch the pennies as most people do these days. British Gas who we are with as a dual fuel supplier have also been reliable if any bother with the bills or when it comes to maintenance when ever we have needed it, usually resolved quickly. And for the energy we use I would say fair cost as well for the tariff we are on. So I say again, for the sake of less then 14pence a day. It's just not worth the hassle.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
And would like to add. My British Gas bills are paid through my British Airways credit card which gives me points towards free and reduced costs flights of which I have saved more then £50 already this year.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
[QUOTE 3544532, member: 9609"]Honestly, I am entirely happy for you, I really don't mind if those who can afford to do so continue to pay whatever they want, none of my business, carry on, fill your boots, enjoy flying around the world with your british airways credit card. seriously I'm happy for you.
The thread is about switching power supplies to save some money. I was surprised at a comment saying that saving £50 is not worth the hassle, I suggested that for many including me £50 is a lot of money and certainly worth an hours effort. - ( in any case the savings are far greater than £50 and the effort is far shorter than an hour) And now I am bombarded with comments from folk down south telling me i am wrong as it is a piddly sum not worth bothering about.

I think it just goes to show the disparity of wealth within this country,[/QUOTE]

Who is saying you are wrong wanting to save money and that's it's a piddly sum? No one?
I wholeheartedly agree with you that £50 to many is a lot of money to some people, no one has an issue with that.

We all live within our means. You do well saving money by switching utility companies, repairing jeans to get more life out of them, buying coats in charity shops and I guess a whole host of other money saving exercises. We save money in other ways. Is that such a big deal for you?

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
I'm certainly not on the breadline but I'm definitely not averse to spending a bit of time to save money, especially from energy companies (along with insurance companies, banks, large chain retailers, holiday companies etc)

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
[QUOTE 3544564, member: 9609"]It's others that seem to have a problem with me saving a few quid, and I noted your sarky comments about me suggesting that £7 was expensive for 100ml of oil - not part of the super rich my arse.[/QUOTE]

Ha...super rich? Buying a £7.00 bottle of oil makes one part of the super rich? Just call me Abramovic then.

Seeing as you have bought up a north/south wealth divide.
My job means that if I wish I could live were I like, even in the wilds of up north like yourself.
I would be on the same wages, sell my pretty mundane end of terrace house and buy similar up north for less money and my my wages would go a lot further would they not rather then were I live now, in one of the most expensive parts of the UK in the South East. It's all part of life's choices and how we live our lives.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
I regularly switch insurance, fuel etc.
This is partly for savings, but also partly so the b**tards don't get away with creeping price increases in the hope that no-one will notice and inertia will keep people with their existing suppliers.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
My M-in-L refuses to change suppliers because she likes the nice man who comes to read the meter. I've told her the same guy will probably do it regardless of who she buys from but to no avail.

On a slightly more serious note, those who aren't utility tarts effectively subsidise those that are so for those on here that say they aren't into swapping I say "thank you"

vickster

Legendary Member
Seeing as you have bought up a north/south wealth divide.
My job means that if I wish I could live were I like, even in the wilds of up north like yourself.
I would be on the same wages, sell my pretty mundane end of terrace house and buy similar up north for less money and my my wages would go a lot further would they not rather then were I live now, in one of the most expensive parts of the UK in the South East. It's all part of life's choices and how we live our lives.
I don't recall seeing poverty recently in Knutsworth and Alderley Edge...but there clearly is in East London among other places

I'm just astonished someone chooses to live in Orpington :biggrin:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I don't recall seeing poverty recently in Knutsworth and Alderley Edge...but there clearly is in East London among other places

I'm just astonished someone chooses to live in Orpington :biggrin:

What makes you think I chose to live in Orpington?.... look what it says under my avatar.
I lived in Knutsford for a little while.

vickster

Legendary Member
You did say that it's part of life's choices and how we live our lives...so given you could live elsewhere, there must be some level of choice regarding Orpington (I never lived there, went to school there, travelled from Chislehurst for most of that time :blush:)

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
You did say that it's part of life's choices and how we live our lives...so given you could live elsewhere, there must be some level of choice regarding Orpington (I never lived there, went to school there, travelled from Chislehurst for most of that time :blush:)

Well put it this way... It was cheaper buying a house there then where I wanted to live at the time (Wimbledon).. and it still is. And at the end of the day.. it's where Mrs Ian's family live and was her choice - I went with it and that was my choice.

vickster

Legendary Member
Fair enough. Wimbledon is certainly ridiculously price wise! (one reason why I live in Sutton which is only 15 minutes away, moved from Beckenham to be closer to my then job in Epsom)

Top Bottom