Switching power suppliers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
http://www.ovoenergy.com/coreterms2014/

1.15. The “Termination Fee” is £30 for each fuel (gas/electricity) you receive from us as part of the Supply.

B*llocks :sad:

So we're on the Better Energy plan - fixed rates for 12 months. All online and 15% renewable energy. They give you a cpl of weeks cooling off period when you switch, incase you change your mind.
Is that only payable if you want to switch during the 12 months? If so that's OK by me. Mr Summerdays looks into these things though we sign up in my name so that I have letters with an address on for those occasions when you need to provide something in your name at your address.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
I thought it was only payable if I terminate within 12 months but may be wrong.

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
Made the switch just now. Was on standard BG duel fuel tariff. Moved to Scottish Power and saved £295 over the next year. I also just requested about £85 credit from my BG account. Monthly DD has gone from £114 to £75ish I think. No early cancellation fees with Scottish Power either. Oh, and the switch qualified for £21 cashback too!

Happy with that.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
[QUOTE 3542601, member: 9609"]seriously, you would not put an hours effort into saving £50, you're clearly a very wealthy lady.

[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't be bothered to change for that amount either and we are far from wealthy.

I switched to OVO last summer - so far so good (and you get 3% interest on the credit in your account).

Also, I would advise anyone to never, never, NEVER-EVER-EVER, touch Scottish Power with a barge-pole.

In my experience, their incompetence knows no bound.

Sandra6

Veteran
I'm not convinced you actually save in the long run. I switched last year to Scottish power and they did indeed reduce my monthly payments by £30 but a few months ago they put them up by £50!
Coupled with the fact they messed up my sons account to the tune of £500 I've decided to switch even though I doubt I'll save anything.
I've gone with sainsburys, who are actually British gas if you read the small print. They were cheapest and I'll get nectar points.

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
I've got an alert setup on uswitch to email me when it's time to move on again which I thought was pretty handy. It's so easy to switch, was done in 10 minutes max

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I've switched to Sainos as the best potential saving of £285. I have a 2 week cooling off period, which could be rather apt if EDF cut the supply:smile:

theclaud

Openly Marxist
[QUOTE 3542685, member: 9609"]wealthy and rich are very subjective terms, what might be a lot of money to one person is not to another - although I am sort of retired, I do work from time to time and get 8 - £10 an hour, so from my point of view £50 is about 10 hours work (tax and ni), being able to save £50 for less than an hours effort whilst at home is an astonishingly good deal to me and I guess it is to the vast majority of people outwith the south east. Out of curiosity @User13710 & @ianrauk what price would you put on 1 hour of your time £100 - £500 - £1,000 ? mines £10[/QUOTE]

Having time for elaborate consumer money-management activity is generally indicative of relative wealth (hence middle-class nobbers like @rich p starting idle threads on the subject*). People who are really skint are on metered power. It is probably possible for individuals to beat the system, but given that the tariff structure constitutes an intentional confusopoly designed to maximise profits for energy companies, this probably requires the brain of a @McWobble or a @marinyork combined with the personal priorities of a @screenman or an OTH - an unusual combination. I have, on occasion, sat down with a calculator, a heap of past bills, and a whole interwebfull of tariffs. I don't consider myself especially dense [quiet in the cheap seats!] but I found it almost impossible to determine which, if any, might significantly reduce my bills without penalizing me in another way. I content myself with the satisfaction that npower will have to wait until I can be arsed to open the second red reminder, rather than enjoying an overestimated advance direct debits sitting very nicely in their account thankyou.

*For the sensitive, this is a gratuitous dig at rich and should not be mistaken for a conviction that anyone who switches energy supplier is a nobber.

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Having time for elaborate consumer money-management activity is generally indicative of relative wealth (hence middle-class nobbers like @rich p starting idle threads on the subject*). People who are really skint are on metered power. It is probably possible for individuals to beat the system, but given that the tariff structure constitutes an intentional confusopoly designed to maximise profits for energy companies, this probably requires the brain of a @McWobble or a @marinyork combined with the personal priorities of a @screenman or an OTH - an unusual combination. I have, on occasion, sat down with a calculator, a heap of past bills, and a whole interwebfull of tariffs. I don't consider myself especially dense [quiet in the cheap seats!] but I found it almost impossible to determine which, if any, might significantly reduce my bills without penalizing me in another way. I content myself with the satisfaction that npower will have to wait until I can be arsed to open the second red reminder, rather than enjoying an overestimated advance direct debits sitting very nicely in their account thankyou.

*For the sensitive, this is a gratuitous dig at rich and should not be mistaken for a conviction that anyone who switches energy supplier is a nobber.
Class post TC! :wub:

Wobblers

Euthermic
[QUOTE 3542685, member: 9609"]wealthy and rich are very subjective terms, what might be a lot of money to one person is not to another - although I am sort of retired, I do work from time to time and get 8 - £10 an hour, so from my point of view £50 is about 10 hours work (tax and ni), being able to save £50 for less than an hours effort whilst at home is an astonishingly good deal to me and I guess it is to the vast majority of people outwith the south east. Out of curiosity @User13710 & @ianrauk what price would you put on 1 hour of your time £100 - £500 - £1,000 ? mines £10[/QUOTE]

It's not just the time of that one hour, it's the inevitability that those useless incompetent sods will manage to arse it up (and isn't it funny that their errors are always in their favour?). Which means that you'll end up spending many more frustrating hours on the phone trying to get your money back off them. Not to mention the small print, such as the termination charges that Sittingduck's just found out about. The risk that such charges will more than wipe out any small savings is very real. For the sake of a few pounds, is it really worth it?

Shaun

Founder
We've just switched from npower (who we've used for 15 years) to First Utility because of npowers incompetence. Our gas meter was replaced in early Nov 2013 and we were told the details would be updated within 6 weeks (but it could take up to 12 weeks). I waited and in the meantime couldn't subit readings for either gas or electric since the npower website required both at the same time. After three months I called to ask when the meter details would be updated and was advised they would sort it within a week. Six weeks later it hadn't been updated so I called again and was advised, again, they'd get it sorted. Several months passed and I still couldn't submit readings. A notice arrived in the post saying our payments were going from £67 per month to £287 based on estimated readings, so I called, waited 45 mins, explained I'd called previously and had been assured the details would be updated and still nothing had happened - "Can I please speak to a manager so we can get this sorted?". Manager makes the same promise and I leave it for another couple of months. Another call, another promise they'll sort it (after I'd rather heatedly explained this had all been promised before). By early November 2014, a year later, it still hadn't been updated so I made another call and refused to let them off with another promise of sorting it and insisted on speaking to someone who could make it happen. This person refuses to promise me anything saying that it wasn't their responsibility, but if I wanted to make an official complaint I could do and npower would have 56 days to respond (before the ombusman would entertain getting involved) - WHAT!!!? I make the complaint official and after 40 days call for a progress report. I'm told that they're working on it. I let the guy at the other end know that my patience it at its very end and when he tries to promise me he'll sort it I tell him I'm not interested as everyone else has said the same and no one cares. Three days later he calls me back to tell me it's all sorted. Wow. Would you Adam and Eve it. Over a year to sort, but at least now it's sorted (and we can move to another supplier!!!). I request a final bill and call First Utility (on the recommendation of my parents who moved easily and are now paying less - as well as a bit of Internet research of my own to confirm this).

Soooo ... we get the move to First Utility arranged for Dec 24th and, after further calls to npower to sort a final bill (which takes 3 goes to get right!!), we get settled-up and moved away. Yippee!! Well, sort of. The first time I login to First U to submit readings I can't put the gas meter digits in. Then I notice the serial number. Then I check the old (pre-Nov 2013) gas serial number and guess what? Yup - it's the old meter. I call First Utility, explain what's gone on, she checks the national database and confirms the meter details have not been updated, but very calmly and simply explains that she can do it, no problem, and it'll take a couple of weeks - don't worry - and "Yes!" she will sort it; in the meantime they'll put me on the old account system so I can submit readings. :okay: True to her word she sorted it all out without any fuss or bother and called me back a couple of weeks later to let me know it had all been sorted. I logged in to check, and sure enough it was all updated with the new meter serial number and I've been submitting regular meter reads since (and their system allows you to submit gas or electric or both - result!).

We've not been with First Utility long enough to know whether they're greatly better than npower or any other supplier, but so far they've proved they're a hell of a lot less incompetent. :okay:

Wobblers

Euthermic
[QUOTE 3544027, member: 9609"]If I had taken that attitude I would probably be paying about £350 more per year for gas and electric, about £500 a year more for insurance, I would be getting no interest on my meagre savings and paying an extra £200 a year for phone an internet.

I'm more than happy for the very wealthy members of CC to fnd such saving so piddly that they can in effect subsidies me -

And the camouflaged jacket I picked up at the charity shop the other day for £2 would have cost me very nearly a £100[/QUOTE]

Read what @ianrauk, @User13710 and myself have said. It's not worth the hassle for small amounts. When you get to 3 figure savings, then yes. But not for small amounts. Why am I having to repeat myself?

Top Bottom