Switching to Apple?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Doseone

Guru
I'm interested to know the experiences of Apple Macbook users and particularly those who have switched from Microsoft/ Windows.

Was it an easy process, are you happy that you made the switch?

I've used Windows ever since I started using computers but have been getting increasingly frustrated. My experience is that Windows laptops seem to get slow after less than a couple of years of use, things that work one day don't work the next and I particularly dislike Windows Update because you have little control over it. More recently, basic things such as Office and an email client you have to pay for and are pushed very hard for a yearly subscription.

I am aware that Apple products seem overpriced but am wondering whether part of the premium that you pay is for not having the niggles that you get with Windows? Or, are there frustrations with Macbooks too?

I'm really not looking to start an Apple vs Microsoft flame war, but am interested to hear people's experiences, especially if you've used both.

pplpilot

Guru
Home = Apple (since 1998) Work = Windows

I prefer the Apple environment, and it is pretty much maintenance free. Windows 10 for work on a Lenovo P50, never misses a beat.

Both are very good. Really is a personal choice. Mrs pplpilot hates the Apple OS I adore it. Everyone I know that has gone Apple for home/personal has never gone back.

Drago

Legendary Member
Daughter #3 has not long bought a Mac Book thingy. Compared to my humble Dell laptop the WiFi reception range is pith poor, which is a bit of a joke for something costing three times as much.

I have just bought a Macbook. I am finding the switch very annoying as am so used to Windows. Am persevering as I am starting to get used to it. Irritation as that I need all new software. The Macbook really wants you to do things it's way. However, it seems really stable and exceptionally fast so I think there's pros and cons

vickster

Legendary Member
I considered a Macbook when I set up my freelance business. However, I need to have full compatibility with all MS office applications (Word/Excel and especially PPT) and although I understand Apple compatibility has got better I wasn't certain enough it is 100% compatible for anything my clients may send me to spend £1000+ on the laptop. So went for a highish spec HP laptop, slim, light, looks good, fast SSD...probably cost (me) 'the business' about £500 less than an equivalent Apple. I don't use it that much as I contract and get a laptop provided but that may not always be so and I may do ad-hoc tasks/projects

No regrets. To be fair I'm not enough of a techie to be bothered by Windows foibles as long as it works

Still have an iPhone/iPod/iPad :smile:

Last edited:

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Probably not useful in the least, but possibly a bit interesting....a friend has a desktop PC set up to run either Linux, Windows or Apple. He's recently been copying massive volumes of data - 100s of Gb - and doing it on each OS, just out of curiosity. (He's a tad geeky.) Anyway, copying a particular chunk of stuff - same chunk, same hardware - took:

Linux: 3 hrs 20min
Windows: 3 hrs 10min
Windows + a utility called FastCopy: 1 hr 4min
Apple: 22 min

AndyRM

XOXO
Use both daily, the GUI on OSX is superior in every way to Windows.

Cross compatibility used to be a big issue, but really isn't any more (unless you're trying to use the proprietary format from one system on the other - I get this a lot editing video).

If I had to pick one, Apple would win every day of the week, despite the expense.

vickster

Legendary Member
, the GUI on OSX is superior in every way to Windows.

Cross compatibility used to be a big issue, but really isn't any more (unless you're trying to use the proprietary format from one system on the other - I get this a lot editing video).

If I had to pick one, Apple would win every day of the week, despite the expense.
I don't even understand what the bold bits mean...something to do with User Interface on Operating System....nope none the wiser I'm afraid! Nor the second bit

Fenrider

Is't far you ride?
I cannot praise Apple's after-sales service highly enough. Once you're a customer of theirs, they really go out of their way to keep you happy. A couple of years ago they resolved an issue with my MacBook over the phone; it took several hours and they didn't charge a penny. Best customer care I've ever experienced.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I cannot praise Apple's after-sales service highly enough. Once you're a customer of theirs, they really go out of their way to keep you happy. A couple of years ago they resolved an issue with my MacBook over the phone; it took several hours and they didn't charge a penny. Best customer care I've ever experienced.
Have to say HP did the same with me, which I was very impressed by, but it did occur to me that in doing so they were also building up their own database of knowledge about the machine/issues/cures, which would be beneficial to them in supporting other customers. I did wonder if I would have got the same level of support for a domestic rather than a clearly corporate piece of hardware. (As an aside, they never did actually manage to cure the issue; I had to work it out myself, with the help of lots of googling.)

I don't even understand what the bold bits mean...something to do with User Interface on Operating System....nope none the wiser I'm afraid! Nor the second bit
GUI - the user interface (Graphical User Interface). Ie how the user interacts with the computer

OSx is the operating system (Apple equivalent of Windows)

AndyRM

XOXO

GUI = Graphical User Interface - what you're looking at when navigating around the OS (Operating System)

Proprietary format = File used specifically for that system. In video terms that's .mov for Apple and .wmv for Microsoft.

vickster

Legendary Member
GUI = Graphical User Interface - what you're looking at when navigating around the OS (Operating System)

Proprietary format = File used specifically for that system. In video terms that's .mov for Apple and .wmv for Microsoft.
None of that bothers me with Windows to be honest :blush:

Top Bottom