Tablet recomendations

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NickNick

I'm thinking of getting a tablet for xmas for my other half but I'm completely out of the loop when it comes to tablets and there's a lot of choice!

She'd be using it for normal internet use and some video streaming and I'm looking to spend <£100 and would rather get a second hand one with a good reputation than a new one that might not as reliable.

I'm currently thinking of going down the Lenovo route as I had good experience with their laptops from my days as an auditor, but that was a good few years back now so not sure how relevant that experience is.

Any recommendations would be much appreciated!

midlife

Guru
I'm typing this on a Lenovo tablet, has survived much better than previous ASUS and Acer jobbies.

Our Apple iPad is better but was a lot more expensive!

Davos87

Guru
My son bought a kindle fire.... not the HDone, for his little boy so he can watch CBeebies videos etc on long car journeys. Think he paid about £39 for it at the time and for that price I’m amazed at its versatility and the quality of the screen, the images it produces and have been very impressed by its robustness.
As already mentioned think the HD on on sale at the moment on amazon for £50 is an absolute snip.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
I have the HD 10.1 . Fantastic picture, and the sound is excellent as well. Great if you have music unlimited. It's also excellent for books as well.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Of course you can buy a Kindle Fire for a song but you’ll have to put up with endless Amazon promotions and adverts on it.
The very best is the iPad but if you do t want to spend that money just buy one with the best spec for the money. I’ve also got a couple of cheapie Lenovo tablets for the kids but they’re awful slow and the screen is rather dull.

Last edited:

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Of course you can buy a Kindle Fire for a song but you’ll have to put up with endless Amazon promotions and adverts on it.
The very best is the iPad but if you do t want to spend that money just buy one with the best spec for the money. I’ve also got a couple cheapie Lenovo tablets for the kids but they’re awful slow and the screen is rather dull.

I think you can unsubscribe from the special offers that people see on a kindle tablet. I think it costs about £10.00. Mr WD did it when he bought me a kindle paperwhite ereader.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
I've got a Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4 which my missus has just nicked off me - 'because this b***** Kindle Fire is a useless piece of s***! '
I had to go out yesterday and replace it. I bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10.1.
It seems to be just as good as the 'S' and the bigger screen is useful. It was £159 from Argos.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I think you can unsubscribe from the special offers that people see on a kindle tablet. I think it costs about £10.00. Mr WD did it when he bought me a kindle paperwhite ereader.
I don’t recall getting ads on my paperwhite. Don’t know about now but I think you were given the option to buy a version without or fewer ads for a price difference. However some might have objections to Amazon spying on you which they will inevitably do.

pplpilot

Guru
Samsung tab 10.1 here. Really good bit of kit, I had ipad unto this point but couldn't justify the extra cash for what was just internet and watching netflix/prime/iplayer in bed. I'm a massive Apple fan but I doubt id go back to apple ipad after this.

We've both lenovo tablets 10 inch and my lad won a kindle fire 10 inch in a code hac. Both good and and mentioned by others, its not too hard to put google store on there and pay a tenner to remove most of the ads. If you want a 10 inch, the lenovo is probably better value but both are recommended.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
I've got one of the last Google Nexus 7's and it really is an excellent tablet - if you are wanting to buy second hand there should be plenty around in your price range.
The Kindle Fires have a good name, especially the HD ones, but they are set up to get you spending on Amazon although with a bit of knowledge you can get around most of this.

Top Bottom