Tablet recomendations

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I wouldn't buy second hand as such but due to possible battery degradation. But if you check out the argos ebay shop you can find "reconditioned" tablets. As i understand it grade A reconditioned means not much more than someone opened the box and then returned it for no particular reason.
I have a 7 inch lenovo for cycle touring. I think it fine apart from the fact that it takes a long time to boot up. No Idea what the hell it is doing.
My samsung 10.1 inch has just totally died for no good reason at all. Will probably replace with a lenovo.
I don't think it is worth paying much for these things, see above re my dead samsung.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
+1 for Kindle Fire. My daughter has the one with larger memory and screen definition. Paid to opt out of ads.

If you have a big budget Mini iPad.

gbb

Legendary Member
I've got a Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4 which my missus has just nicked off me - 'because this b***** Kindle Fire is a useless piece of s***! '
I had to go out yesterday and replace it. I bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10.1.
It seems to be just as good as the 'S' and the bigger screen is useful. It was £159 from Argos.
We'e brought our grandson a Kindle Fire and already had to have it replaced within three weeks....charging problems and spontaneous turning itself off. Now the same charging problems blight the replacement.

Me, I had the Galaxy tab 2 10.1...brilliant machine, no problems until I dropped it.
Now have a Galaxy A6, 10 inch tab, seems to perform just as well for a lot lot less money, the only noticeable difference was the home and back buttons were floating on screen with the Tab 2 which meant they were always at the bottom of the screen, whatever attitude you held it in. The A6 buttons are fixed so you sometimes have to look at the top, sides or bottom to find the buttons. Modestly noticeable, not a deal breaker but not as convenient. Good machine otherwise for a basic tab.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
[QUOTE 5078539, member: 45"]Kindles are very easy to set up so that they run Android.[/QUOTE]
Still not as good as a Galaxy Tab S though.;)

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
I wouldn't buy second hand as such but due to possible battery degradation. But if you check out the argos ebay shop you can find "reconditioned" tablets. As i understand it grade A reconditioned means not much more than someone opened the box and then returned it for no particular reason.
I have a 7 inch lenovo for cycle touring. I think it fine apart from the fact that it takes a long time to boot up. No Idea what the hell it is doing.
My samsung 10.1 inch has just totally died for no good reason at all. Will probably replace with a lenovo.
I don't think it is worth paying much for these things, see above re my dead samsung.

I had a samsung as well and it just died for no reason. Another one who wouldn't spend a lot of money on one.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
[QUOTE 5078677, member: 45"]Once it's running android there's no discernable difference from my experience.[/QUOTE]
Good for you.:okay:

D

Deleted member 1258

Another Lenovo user here, Tab 4 8" screen, I've had it a few months and it's been good.

Another Lenovo user here, Tab 4 8" screen, I've had it a few months and it's been good.
does your take a long time to boot as well?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
For those of you who have a tablet computer that suddenly dies for no apparent reason ... If you think the battery may have packed up, it is worth searching YouTube for possible solutions. My 5 year old Galaxy Tab is still going strong but I assume that eventually the battery will die so I have found a video showing how to replace it. It looks a relatively straightforward job to open the tablet once you see where the hidden screws are (inside the charge port/signal connector - sneaky!). Replacement batteries can be found on eBay for a pretty reasonable price.

If the tablet is dead and you don't want to pay someone else to fix it, why not spend £10 or so to have a go yourself? The screen of the laptop that I am typing this on died a couple of years ago but I managed to fix it after watching a YouTube video showing me how to get inside. It turned out to be a burned out soldered joint on the backlight. I resoldered it and it has worked perfectly since then.

As for slow booting ... I very rarely shut my tablet down so I rarely have to boot it. It can sleep for a couple of weeks on one charge so I just put it to sleep when I have finished with it. It comes back out of sleep in a couple of seconds. I put it on charge every morning to top up while I am having breakfast.

Jason

I'm looking at you from a Samsung Asus ZenPad 10, having been an iPad fan for many a year. Go check them out. Very pleased with performance and battery life. Cost me £150, but have dropped in price.

Last edited:
Top Bottom