Tablet recomendations

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
NickNick

NickNick

For those of you who have a tablet computer that suddenly dies for no apparent reason ... If you think the battery may have packed up, it is worth searching YouTube for possible solutions. My 5 year old Galaxy Tab is still going strong but I assume that eventually the battery will die so I have found a video showing how to replace it. It looks a relatively straightforward job to open the tablet once you see where the hidden screws are (inside the charge port/signal connector - sneaky!). Replacement batteries can be found on eBay for a pretty reasonable price.

If the tablet is dead and you don't want to pay someone else to fix it, why not spend £10 or so to have a go yourself? The screen of the laptop that I am typing this on died a couple of years ago but I managed to fix it after watching a YouTube video showing me how to get inside. It turned out to be a burned out soldered joint on the backlight. I resoldered it and it has worked perfectly since then.

As for slow booting ... I very rarely shut my tablet down so I rarely have to boot it. It can sleep for a couple of weeks on one charge so I just put it to sleep when I have finished with it. It comes back out of sleep in a couple of seconds. I put it on charge every morning to top up while I am having breakfast.

Youtube tutorials are amazing when it comes to doing those sorts of repairs, I've replaced iphone & xperia batteries and phone screens, saved a lot of money!

Glasgow44

Veteran
Hi there

I'm thinking of buying an ipad or a tablet but I'm not sure what the difference is between them. I would be using it to connect to the internet for general browsing, Facebook, youtube and films. What is the best one to buy?

Thanks in advance for your help.

J

vickster

Legendary Member
Budget?
Apple vs Android...take it from there. They should all do what you want.
Spend as much as you can, get the newest model you can, get a 'retina' screen (Android might call it something else) and as much memory as possible.

If watching films, go for a larger screen, the mini ones probably won't cut it

Buy from John Lewis who price match the likes of Currys and give an extended warranty for free :okay:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Hi there

I'm thinking of buying an ipad or a tablet but I'm not sure what the difference is between them. I would be using it to connect to the internet for general browsing, Facebook, youtube and films. What is the best one to buy?

Thanks in advance for your help.

J
The difference is essentially the operating system and a fair bit of money. I love my iPad mini, the screen and colours are excellent but cheaper Android is catching up fast. With iOS every tablet/phone gets updated constantly but this doesn’t always happen with Android. I’d take a look at what is on offer and see if Apple is worth the price hike.
If you want to watch films you really need a big screen.

vickster

Legendary Member
Bit like bikes...you might well need several to cover different bases of use :okay:

I confess I use a paper book when reading in the bath...less costly or indeed shocking when dropped into the bubbles :shy:

[QUOTE="vickster, post: 5156671, membe
Spend as much as you can, get the newest model you can, get a 'retina' screen (Android might call it something else) and as much memory as possible.

I:okay:[/QUOTE]

Sorry vic, don't agree. I'd buy a unit of appropriate performance/spec for what the buyer wants to do with it. I consider these things disposable. My 10 inch samsung recently died when it should have had lots of life left in it. John lewis guarantee would have made no difference. If it had had a higher spec, which i didn't need, it would just be a better class of landfill.

Top Bottom