Taken out on commute home.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
U

User33236

If you are happy with the offer, go for it especially if the injuries are healing and you want to move on. FWIW I was offered a grand...didn't even cover the lost salary from having to take a week off after the surgery. They were politely told no.

That was a year ago, no further offers since as the medical reporting is ongoing!

I'm not mercenary either but I expect to be recompensed for my financial losses and the rubbish year I've had. I'll have to accept that my leg will never look the same :sad:

I have had no financial loss to date (other than 80p on a box of Aspirin on doctors advice to help prevent DVT on the long haul flight three days after the incident) as I am being paid in full by my employer for the one day off I had. It did impact my holiday a small amount but only in that I was less able to position myself for the photographs I wanted to take due to the crowds. It did teach me one thing though: patience. Lol.

do you actually know now that your injuries will be healed in 4 - 6 weeks? Don't be too hasty. It also won't hurt to hold off on their offer for this reason.

At my current progression I anticipate being able to get back to doing some riding in the next week. It will likely impact my hill training for the Wales Velothon but I do expect to be on the start line.

As posted before, this will give you an idea of the level of compensation for the injury suffered

http://www.bottonline.co.uk/guides/how-much-compensation-claim-for-bicycle-accident

Then you need to add out of pocket expenses and repairs to the bike (or a new bike if beyond repair)

The figure quoted by LD is only personnal injury as in the right ball park based on the table. The bike et al is yet to be inspected, this is happening on Saturday, and thus costs havent been calculated yet.

vickster

Legendary Member
Ah don't accept any offer until the bike has been dealt with unless it's very clear that the settlement is an interim payment

Good to hear the offer for the injury is sensible. I actually don't think they took mine into account at all with that first offer!

Taking photos in China is a nightmare anyhow, just too many people! However, you, like, I probably had the benefit of being at least six inches taller than everyone else! Helped with the claustrophobia in the crowds too :biggrin:

OP
OP
U

User33236

Ah don't accept any offer until the bike has been dealt with unless it's very clear that the settlement is an interim payment

Good to hear the offer for the injury is sensible. I actually don't think they took mine into account at all with that first offer!

Taking photos in China is a nightmare anyhow, just too many people! However, you, like, I probably had the benefit of being at least six inches taller than everyone else! Helped with the claustrophobia in the crowds too :biggrin:
The email from LD states:-

'The insurer have also put forward a pre-medical offer in the amount of xxxxx. This offer is for your injuries only and your bicycle and damaged items will be dealt with separately.' Any acceptance by me with be on that basis. I have 14 days to make up my mind.

Being six inches taller than everyone else in China is no longer a plus due to the blight that is the selfie stick. 'Official advice' (or at least what the reps tell you to do) is grow wide elbows and push your way through the crowds. Thankfully there were two large blokes on the trip who, in the busiest places, were more than happy to flank either side of me and help push folk ourt of the way. :-)

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
If you think it's sensible, take it, despite what others might say. Up to you ultimately.

Wise words.

Seems to me you are on the fast track to settlement, which is where you want to be.

The risk with too much negotiating is the insurance company withdraw their offer and let the claim take its much longer course via medical reports and drawn out correspondence between the various parties.

Seems unlikely you will get substantially more that way, and it will put you to a lot more bother to get it.

uclown2002

Guru
Just had email from LD. The other party have accepted liability and made an offer for personal injury. LD go on to advise that they advise clients to accept if the injuries are healed / expected to be healed within four to six weeks. It would also mean I do bot need to attend the medical appointment. The offer is extremely reasonable.

Certainly food for thought.
I had a similar experience. Prior to an offer LD advised me on a 'ballpark figure' I could expect, and the offer came in about £300 above. so I accepted.

vickster

Legendary Member
Interesting - LD have never given me any sort of indication, there was just a range specified on the initial form. It was a weird injury though, with crap consequences and complications. A broken leg would have fitted more neatly into the standard boxes!

Still waiting for one of the expert reports to be amended, so who knows when it might settle!

OP
OP
U

User33236

Started the job of photographing damaged items for LD.

Some nice cracks in the outer shell of the helmet. Only one made it all he way through to the inside. Easy damage to photograph so getting it replaced should be a doddle.

NOTE: This is NOT a helmet pro or con post please dont turn it into a debate :-) I am simply showing the damge my helmet incurred in the accident.

View media item 7933View media item 7932View media item 7931

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
U

User33236

Interesting - LD have never given me any sort of indication, there was just a range specified on the initial form. It was a weird injury though, with crap consequences and complications. A broken leg would have fitted more neatly into the standard boxes!

Still waiting for one of the expert reports to be amended, so who knows when it might settle!
My next door neighbour's son received complex injuries in an accident whilst riding a scooter. It took three years to complete the claim although he did receive interim payments during that period.

vickster

Legendary Member
My next door neighbour's son received complex injuries in an accident whilst riding a scooter. It took three years to complete the claim although he did receive interim payments during that period.
Yeah, I believe you can. To be fair, I've not requested payment, it'll be a nice windfall when I do finally get the salary etc paid back!

OP
OP
U

User33236

Front fork dropouts missing the 'lawyers lips". What are the chances of the forks being replaced or is the frame a write-off?
image.jpg

Top Bottom