Taken out on commute home.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Not to trivialise anything, but if my big ring left a tooth-mark scar on my calf I'd tell people I was attacked by a shark and managed to beat it off SHUT UP.

OP
OP
U

User33236

Not to trivialise anything, but if my big ring left a tooth-mark scar on my calf I'd tell people I was attacked by a shark and managed to beat it off SHUT UP.
Funnily enough I've been saying the the same.

OP
OP
U

User33236

Bike now with Evans Cycles for assessment. They are not making the kind of noises I want to hear :-(

Conversation went along the lines of:-

Me: bike is booked in today for an insurance estimate as requested by my solicitor.
Shop: We cant do it todat. It will be Monday.
Me: Ok I'm disappointed as it was booked for today. Can you at least give me some indication if it will be a writeoff?
Shop: (after a very quick glance) so long as the rest of the frame is straight we'd likely replace forks, re-true front wheel, straighten hanger and RHS shifter.
Me: rear wheel has damage to the rim, derailleur scratched and gouged as is shifter and saddle.
Shop: That's only cosmetic damage.
Me: Its cosmetic damage that wasnt their before the accident therefore it should not be there afterwards. Would you be happy if you got your car back after a crash and they left the bumper scratched?
Shop: Cars are different.
Me: I insist you check EVERYTHING and quote for replacement on those items that have suffered ANY damage, including cosmetic.
Shop: We'll get back to you with a quote.

REALLY not looking forward to what they have to say!

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
U

User33236

Take it to an LBS staffed by human beings that weren't selling laptops in Currys last week.
Main reason I went there was they have been extremely helpful in the past and its where the bike was bought. Think I'll be spending my money elsewhere in future!

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Bike now with Evans Cycles for assessment. They are not making the kind of noises I want to hear :-(

Conversation went along the lines of:-

Me: bike is booked in today for an insurance estimate as requested by my solicitor.
Shop: We cant do it todat. It will be Monday.
Me: Ok I'm disappointed as it was booked for today. Can you at least give me some indication if it will be a writeoff?
Shop: (after a very quick glance) so long as the rest of the frame is straight we'd likely replace forks, re-true front wheel, straighten hanger and RHS shifter.
Me: rear wheel has damage to the rim, derailleur scratched and gouged as is shifter and saddle.
Shop: That's only cosmetic damage.
Me: Its cosmetic damage that wasnt their before the accident therefore it should not be there afterwards. Would you be happy if you got your car back after a crash and they left the bumper scratched?
Shop: Cars are different.
Me: I insist you check EVERYTHING and quote for replacement on those items that have suffered ANY damage, including cosmetic.
Shop: We'll get back to you with a quote.

REALLY not looking forward to what they have to say!

Happily, the insurance company will know what you do - you are entitled to be put back into the position you were the second before the accident.

That Evans don't grasp this reflects poorly on them.

As has been said, a competent bike shop should be able to provide an assessment which reflects physical damage, and cosmetic damage which is clearly fresh and must have been caused by the accident.

The 'new for old' question is harder to answer.

Given the insurance company's keenness to settle, have you thought about asking for a reasonable sum on top of the injury offer?

I don't know the new price of your damaged bike, but say it's £1,000, the insurance company might slap an extra £750 on the injury offer and call it quits.

OP
OP
U

User33236

The 'new for old' question is harder to answer.

Given the insurance company's keenness to settle, have you thought about asking for a reasonable sum on top of the injury offer?

I don't know the new price of your damaged bike, but say it's £1,000, the insurance company might slap an extra £750 on the injury offer and call it quits.
The bike in question has done just under 4,000Km from new and I spend many hundreds upspeccing many parts in the past 6 months. Some items are 6 weeks old. I'm therefore pushing, somewhat hopefully, for new.

LD wish to wait of a report from a bike shop before they advise me what to do. I will then instruct them as I see best for me. All I want now is to be out their on a bike that is as good and blemish free as mine was before the crash.

Having studied the orginal video on a large screen I am seriously uncomfortable and riding by CAADX ever again.

Did you have the choice of what bike shop to take it to? If so, I think after Evans attitude, I would have used the fact that you booked in, yet they couldn't do it that day, to walk out and try a different one.

OP
OP
U

User33236

Did you have the choice of what bike shop to take it to? If so, I think after Evans attitude, I would have used the fact that you booked in, yet they couldn't do it that day, to walk out and try a different one.
It was suggested that I would be best taking it somewhere than deals in that brand therefore Evans was the logical choice.

When I stressed the point it had been booked in over two weeks ago for exactly what I was asking I was told that they would deal with it this adternoon. If the report that comes back is poor I will be going elsewhere and formally complain to Evans head office.

OP
OP
U

User33236

Just spoke with Evans as they hadn't called. A bloke with actual common sense said he'd look at the bike and call back. He had as a rough calculation, a figure of £1200+ for repair. That depends on the cost of a crash replacement frame from Cannondale.

Replacement parts list he gave me is as follows:-
CAADX frame & forks
Kinesis Crosslight wheelset
Fizik Ardea Versus saddle
105 5700 right hand shifter
Lizard Skins DSP 3.2 bar tape
Rear hanger
105 5700 rear derailleur
Mavic Crossroc SL pedals

Plus of course all the labour cost to strip and rebuild the bike.

Not much of the original bike left therefore cant be an economical repair surely, so highly likely I'll be bike shopping after all. I've sent all rhe details so far to LD and also asked they propose a figure to LV to settle for the bike and clothing. Will just need to wait and see what they say.

Last edited by a moderator:

classic33

Leg End Member
And make sure you record in your diary time spent running round getting quotes and stuff, and Bill them for that was well.
Assuming the phonecall was made from a mobile, the network operator can confirm call time, duration & cost. Even a PAYG number.

Top Bottom