Taken out on commute home.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User33236

Whilst on my homeward commute I had just started climbing the last but one hill when a elderly lady who had been sitting at a junction to my left, drove into the side of me. This resulted in me being ejected from the bike and ending up lying in the middle of the road.

Thankfully 5 cars stopped to assist me, and my ailing bike, to the side of the road and hang around to give witness statements to the police (who had been called by one of them along with an ambulance). Whilst waiting one of the witnesses, a nurse from the local hospital, kept me chatting and gave me a basic assessment. Her concerns were that she had seen me get thrown off the bike amd rotate round whilst in the air resulting in me landing flat on my back, hitting the back of my head on the road.

Ambulance and police turn up, the latter taking statements whilst I was being checked over. Turns out whilst I was being checked over a woman came from a nearby house and invited the officer in to view the CCTV coverage she had picked up. As a result the woman is now facing careless driving charges. Ambulance crew strongly suggested I allow them to take me to the local hospital for further checks.

Thankfully my injuries are limited to bruising to my right shoulder, five deep punture wounds to my left leg from the chainring. Its also likely that I have some deep tissue damgage to my leg also. After getting cleaned up and back home my concern now turns to my bike. This was picked up by my neighbour so I havent seen it yet :-/

On the plus side I have all witness contact details, details of the officer who attended, full details of the driver, car and insurance as well as contact details from the woman who has promised to send me a copy of her CCTV recording.

Written down I record of what I can recall. Ho doubt I can add to add when I retrieve my bike and review what my cameras picked up. Jacket and helmet are knackered, half a dozen hairline cracks across rhe back of the latter, and left show has a broken fastener.

No doubt I have forgotten something but my head isnt too clever right now lol.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Sounds nasty, glad you didn't get more damage. Hope you aren't too sore in the morning.

Sounds like everyone has come to help as well, so hopefully it will all get sorted.

GWS :hugs:

OP
OP
U

User33236

I have absolutely no doubt I will ache all over tomorrow if the way I feel now is anything to go by.

I was amazed that everyone stopped and not only helped me out but hung back till the police got there. I'm sure it will help when dealing with the claim.

avsd

Guru
Very back luck but nice to hear about way people stepped in to help you.

Get well soon. Lots of ice and some pain killers.

OP
OP
U

User33236

The surprising part of the whole exerience was the driver herself asking if anyone had a phone to call the police as she understood thst was normal if someone was injured.

She then let herself down by saying to me a few moments later 'you have acratched my car'. Yeah like I'm really bothered!

jnrmczip

Glad all is ok hopefully the bike state can be fixed or replaced

Top Bottom