Taking the flexitarian road?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Newfhouse is correct. But there is also an environmental penalty for doing away with meat production entirely as nothing is better for soil health by a huge margin than livestock crapping and weeing all over it.

There is a sensible middle geound which balances out these to rather opposing necessities. Sadly, gigantic herds of the like reared for McDonalds in south america, aren't it. Fortunately I think McDonalds is tasteless fulth snd don't partake, so my conscience is part salved.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
But if course that's not addressing the issue of farmers being held to ransom by supermarkets

I find the need to label habits interesting. I eat what I fancy, which is probably why I'm overweight, but that choice is often swayed by additional information that I come across, which can entice me to try something totally different, or simply an alternative. Over recent years, I've noticed that I'm much more 'nuts and berries' than meat, and even the type of meat is generally more fish or chicken.

I also find the term 'processed food' interesting, as most food, even that that looks natural, has quite likely undergone some form of process, and everything is a chemical.

My general rule of thumb is the avoidance of food with additives applied after growth, as most things have some form of additive or modification, even if they're 'natural'. Have a look at a natural banana or coconut for example, and even organic farming is still an industrial process.

Having said that, I try to start with things that look like I think they would have looked in nature.

Not wanting to divert the thread, but I was amused at the attitude of staff and customers in a vegan Cafe, in a rural setting, who were admiring the view, with no apparent acceptance that the rolling greenery wasn't natural, but the consequence of an industrial process designed to raise animals for slaughter.

Last edited:

All uphill

Still rolling along
My recently discovered top tip for reducing animal products in cooking is the use of coconut yoghurt substitute. A tablespoon in any casserole adds a lovely subtle smoothness and hint of coconut.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Newfhouse is correct. But there is also an environmental penalty for doing away with meat production entirely as nothing is better for soil health by a huge margin than livestock crapping and weeing all over it.

There is a sensible middle geound which balances out these to rather opposing necessities. Sadly, gigantic herds of the like reared for McDonalds in south america, aren't it. Fortunately I think McDonalds is tasteless fulth snd don't partake, so my conscience is part salved.

McDonalds in the UK only uses British and Irish beef so you could have a Big Mac and still rest easy in your bed afterwards.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
what the fark is flexitarian anyway? its just a made up word to sound media friendly.

Not every meal I eat has meat in it, I eat nuts grain pulses eggs etc that give me protein from not meat sources.

That just make me an omnivore like every other human being (some of which restrict themselves to veganism and vegetarianism).

Are people who have museli or toast and marmite for breakfast flexitarians?

:wacko::wacko::wacko:

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Did not realise the word existed but I realised I am becoming one. More plant based than meat. Still love my steaks and fry-ups. Not into raging ethics or philosophy but for health and environmental reasons. Discovering lentils some time back helped with the re-direct.

The price of plant based processed food however is cause for concern. Sainsbury recorded a 65% increase in plant based food in 2019. So there is demand. Who can afford these prices? Just to be clear this is not your fresh veggies but processed food that is popularly called "plant based".

Anyone else heading down this road?

All food we eat is plant based, ultimately isn't it

Cows n sheep n chickens etc in their proper environment are plant based too.

Well chickens eat bugs as well.

And pigs are opportunistic omnivores, which is why they're the traditional peasant animal converting all sorts of waste into edible meat.

Sadly feeding food waste isnt not allowed at the moment.

'Plant based' is just the new marketing term for vegan.

All respect to anyone who doesn't wish to eat meat or consume dairy.

It's a personal ethical choice, possibly healthier, if only cos you tend to eat more veg but it's not necessarily better for the environment.

I'm going to say it cos it's true...

But some of my best friends are vegan.

I'm not however, but I do eat a lot of vegan food cooked by other people.

I cook it for them.

But we all recognise that coconuts, almonds, avocados etc are not necessarily 'better for the environment' not when in this country anyhow.

things like lentils, chickpeas etc even though we don't grow them in the UK are probs still ok

They tend to be slow shipped.

Although it's questionable that we should be eating food from nations who already struggle to feed their populations.

We can't even grow nuts in this country to any commercial scale.
Largely because of squirrels and deer.

We probs need to eat the squirrels and deer.

I eat as locally and as seasonally as possible
And grass fed meat and dairy and organic where possible.

I probably grow 70% of our diet.

Most meals are home cooked from scratch, but there's quite a few competent adult cooks to share the catering load here.

That processed plant based foods, are better for the environment than processed meat products of industrialised animal agriculture, is probably the case.

If only in terms if animal welfare.
But probs in terms of pollution the packaging is about the same right?

I was a vegetarian for nearly fifteen years.

Since gone back to being a conscious omnivore.

Flexitarian locavore , whatever you like to call it.

It's mainly just being aware of choices, and consequences I guess.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Plant based.... sounds just as bad as meat based - like Maccy's chicken nuggets - might have been a chicken.

I eat veg, not processed veg and also keep processed meat to a minimum. Veggie sausages, sorry, but probably far worse for you than real sausages (not el cheapo ones)

If it's edible I'll eat it, although I draw the line at lots of fishy stuff - if it's a fish fine, but not something with legs etc.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
But if course that's not addressing the issue of farmers being held to ransom by supermarkets

Subvert the super market.

Buy direct.

Mwhahahahaha.

We get to capture the whole of the food pound.

Although I appreciate that's not easy for everyone at the moment, with the way things are set up.

Organisations such as Sustain are trying to help navigate a way forward to a better food system for everyone.

Producer and consumer.

Or 'food citizens' as we like to call more the conscious consumers .

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Plant based.... sounds just as bad as meat based - like Maccy's chicken nuggets - might have been a chicken.

I eat veg, not processed veg and also keep processed meat to a minimum. Veggie sausages, sorry, but probably far worse for you than real sausages (not el cheapo ones)

If it's edible I'll eat it, although I draw the line at lots of fishy stuff - if it's a fish fine, but not something with legs etc.

Some of the more hardcore vegans who help me out now and then hand me the big old slugs to dispatch.

Seems like a bit of passing the buck really ..

Imagining that we can live entirely free of killing any other creatures is a nonsense really.

Unless you want to live like a Jain.

But even they get others to do their 'dirty work' for them.

We just need to accept that were part of the living ,and dying circle of life of life on this planet.

And respect that, do it 'humanely'

OP
OP
A

Arrowfoot

I too only recently became aware of this term and realised it was the direction I was heading. Still have meat occasionally, less than once a week on average.
I rarely buy plant-based processed foodstuffs; haven't found the need to include them in my diet. Instead, as you mentioned, pulses and the like have played a more significant role: green lentils where I once used minced beef (cottage pie, chilli con carne); chickpeas in Mediterranean or Morrocan stews; split lentils/peas or chickpeas as the base for curries; chickpeas as the foundation of burgers/patties (beetroot burgers).
By including enough variety, I haven't found I miss regular meat.
Same here. Lentils, pulses , chickpeas etc are good discoveries and I found they have high protein content.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Same here. Lentils, pulses , chickpeas etc are good discoveries and I found they have high protein content.

You need to combine them with a grain in the same meal to get the full range of amino acids though.

Which most likely happens if you're eating rice or wheat at the same time.

Tbh even dark green leafy veg contains a fair amount of protein.

OP
OP
A

Arrowfoot

We have dabbled in the plant based stuff, and TBH some of it is really good. But with a family of 4 it's not a sustainable expense, so we eat more animal protein as a result.
Tell me about it. Future meat burger is £16 per kg, Beyond Burger is £25 per kg while good tasting ordinary beef burgers are around £4 per kg. Nearly 4 to 5 times more and the cheaper plant based stuff taste wise is not at all in the zone.

I remember after my personal Organic resolution gone bust 20 years ago within a week. I consoled myself that only the rich and wealthy can afford this. Back to my side of the tracks. Also noticed that these speciality stores are in affluent neighbourhoods in those days. .

Top Bottom