Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Knocked off by some bloody BMW driver tonight who pulled out, collided, floored it and ran over my foot, typical SMIDSY. Only wanted to give me their phone number as I was sitting down in the gutter in pain, after pushing he gave me a fake registration number then drove off. Luckily I saw the actual one and a witness stopped and gave me their details.

Most annoying part is that I'm waiting for a new helmetcam so it is old fashioned he said, she said.

Fun lovin' criminal there.. at least you have a witness to back up what happened and good job getting the proper registration.

You can get insurance details for yourself at http://www.askmid.com/

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Finally got around to reporting this pothole - it's just where drivers hungry to get past think it is finally safe to overtake a bike, so you have to take the lane for rather longer than the impatient mob expect.

court road pothole.jpg

I am only just starting to realise the seriousness of this morning. I am talking being left six inches (and that isn't an exaggeration) gap by an overtaking tanker - which then pulled closer as the trailer passed. On a road shared with tram tracks too.

This morning the adrenaline had me cycling after it but the lights were in its favour and it was gone before I red further than something like NV10

I think it's just sunk in.

Right outside my work but just out of CCTV view..dammit..and not clear enough to get a reg plate or even a company (tanker was plain unmarked)

Lonestar

Veteran
Suffered snapped rear axle at Westferry and walked five and a half miles home...Not really a problem,though...Just got home later obviously.The last time this happened was in Tottenham in 1988.I left the bike there for a few days and it was nicked.Not this time,though I walked it back and.It's back safe and sound.

I didn't know what it was at first and first suspected fractured frame with the way the wheel was behaving on the fixie...Then thought the sealed bearing had come loose and with me not being able to get the wheel off as the bolt on the non chain side could not be released with out one of those thin spanner things I think the penny dropped.

It's done 213+ consecutive commutes on it and I may have it repaired for my next commute on Thursday.

Latest news is...i haven't got the available tools and they have been ordered...Dawes Audax 2006 on standby...May pop in a bikeshop on return commute on Thursday.

Last edited:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
NIce rides both ways for me today. Didn't look like it was too good for another rider though. As I passed Attingham Park on the way home there were about 4 cars and an ambulance at the side of the road. I couldn't see who was being attended to but as I rode past a road bike was being wheeled round the side of the ambulance.:sad:

Nothing about it in the local news at the moment so hopefully looked worse than it was.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
A lovely ride home today. Help by a great, all too rare tailwind, good legs after no cycling yesterday and some brilliant SCR.
Loved it. It's what's cyclings all about. So very enjoyable,

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
Puncture on my new DDs this morning. At least they are easy to change the tube on. I've used CO2 to re-inflate it which means at some point it's going to go bang in a big way.

Other than that a quiet commute, fairly slow as had my laptop and other stuff in the bag weighing me down.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Well, I'm not one for ranting and raving at people these days but I ended up threatening another cyclist this morning. For some unknown reason he thought it wise to barge into me, actually hitting me quite hard as we were accelerating from the lights, then swerved in front of me. No reason what so ever and not even an apology. It was deliberate. Now I wasn't going to take that. He got a right old earful of Anglo Saxon for his trouble and the coffee shaking sign but he refused to even look or acknowledge me. Only when I was a good few yards ahead did the coward decide to shout something. I did think about stopping and going back but couldn't be arsed. I have never seen him before so doubt I will again, but you never know. He better keep clear from me. I'll recognise him alright.

Anyway.. apart from that nonsense. It was a good commute. It rained heavily overnight so the roads were a bit wet. I little cold and a niggly little headwind but didn't take long to warm up. This evenings commute will hopefully be as wind assisted as it was last night.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I am only just starting to realise the seriousness of this morning. I am talking being left six inches (and that isn't an exaggeration) gap by an overtaking tanker - which then pulled closer as the trailer passed. On a road shared with tram tracks too.

This morning the adrenaline had me cycling after it but the lights were in its favour and it was gone before I red further than something like NV10

I think it's just sunk in.

Right outside my work but just out of CCTV view..dammit..and not clear enough to get a reg plate or even a company (tanker was plain unmarked)
This is why I have a camera. Glad you weren't injured !

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Well, I'm not one for ranting and raving at people these days but I ended up threatening another cyclist this morning. For some unknown reason he thought it wise to barge into me, actually hitting me quite hard as we were accelerating from the lights, then swerved in front of me. No reason what so ever and not even an apology. It was deliberate. Now I wasn't going to take that. He got a right old earful of Anglo Saxon for his trouble and the coffee shaking sign but he refused to even look or acknowledge me. Only when I was a good few yards ahead did the coward decide to shout something. I did think about stopping and going back but couldn't be arsed. I have never seen him before so doubt I will again, but you never know. He better keep clear from me. I'll recognise him alright.

Anyway.. apart from that nonsense. It was a good commute. It rained heavily overnight so the roads were a bit wet. I little cold and a niggly little headwind but didn't take long to warm up. This evenings commute will hopefully be as wind assisted as it was last night.

Very odd behaviour !

zer07

Normally my commutes are trouble free but over the last few days the standard of driving for a few drivers has been terrible. I've had two cars pulling out in front of me and doing u-turns in the road causing me to brake hard and another two drivers over taking me, then slowing down quickly and turning right (whilst minimising the gap between car and curb). I'm wondering if someone is trying to tell me something.....

Last edited:

13 rider

Guru
Tail wind of 35 km/h this morning all good till I turned north into the wind for the last kilometer of my commute. My cheeks almost an hour later still stinging, it was -17C (-29C with wind chill if you subscribe to that) . If the wind is still blowing this hard at home time I will not be cycling.
Remind me never complain about it being a bit chilly . -17 respect for being out in that

Leaway2

Lycrist
Tail wind of 35 km/h this morning all good till I turned north into the wind for the last kilometer of my commute. My cheeks almost an hour later still stinging, it was -17C (-29C with wind chill if you subscribe to that) . If the wind is still blowing this hard at home time I will not be cycling.
:notworthy:

Top Bottom