Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Although I rang the police to report a pedestrian on the motorway I couldn't help but think I deserved it a bit, single occupancy 4x4 (although not a gaz-guzzling model) contributing to choking the city. :sad: Although stoning the cars is a bit extreme..

Bring on the Metrobus.
Why should you feel guilty about using your car? I never feel guilty when I use mine, that's what I bought it for.

Randombiker9

Riding behind a very silly motorist this morning - who decided to stop dead - just past a junction, just to light a cigarette.

Then she decides to zoom off, just as I overtake her.
That reminds me once when I cycled to local shops that on the way back a car driver was being fine and then suddenly stopped in the bus stop near a junction. Had to suddenly break that day.
(At least she switched her hazard lights on though a bit too late though)

Seem to have had man flu all this week, felt snotty on the way home but I spied a fat e-bike ( the bike was fat not the rider) ahead and decided to get myself some free speed by cadging a draft. Seems the guy did not like being drafted as he hit the throttle and took it to 26mph into a headwind/crosswind. I backed of several feet as his tyres and brakes would stop a dam sight faster than mine. I was still getting a benefit but on looking at my power meter reading I was having to chuck out 300-400 watts , 30 seconds or so later I was done and let him speed off into the distance. On looking back at my data I must be ill, my normal Max HR is 182, I was in the 190's peaking at 195. Pootle tomorrow I think. Struck me the guy must have had something like a 1,000 watt motor to haul that lump at that speed.

Poor week for me. Attempted the ride today but the bike started creaking a bit silly....wondering if it's the seat post having done some investigations tonight in the rain....just not feeling it at the moment.

John_S

Über Member
The weather was alright today but I was not impressed on my ride to work when on a slight uphill on a nice wide road with plenty of space when a white van man who had be stationary decided to swerve into my path as I got near them.

The traffic in front of them had not cleared and I could see them looking at me in their mirrors so they'd definitely seen me and just decided to pull a dangerous move presumably because I'd committed the simple offence in their eyes of being a cyclist. I was not impressed.

BurningLegs

Veteran
A tough ride in this morning after a hard session on the turbo last night, legs feeling heavy and laboured. Lovely to be out in the fresh air for a dry commute though, but I got some abuse from a van driver who shouted "get off the road" at me through his passenger window as he passed. :rolleyes:

dhd.evans

Veteran
Was that with no sirens on as if they have sirens on your spossed to pull over like other veichels.

No sirens i'm afraid, just a run of the mill blind-corner overtake.

And now, it's gone national (warning Red Top Tabloid alert)

Ninja Edit: In case anyone is wondering I was contacted about the video by both papers; i've not been chasing publicity for this but have been obliging in providing comment on said actions of the police van driver.

Spartak