Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dhd.evans

Veteran
Ok weird you wouldn't think a police car or other emergency veichels would close pass you. Which Police department was this? (out of interest). (I've never seen or been overtaken by emergency veichles without there sirens on.

Police Scotland (Tayside division) - it was a blip on their part, but unfortunately caught on camera which meant there's evidence of the silly manoeuvre.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Lucky me. It was peeing down with rain when I got up this morning. Stopped for when I left home. Started to rain, but not heavy about half a mile from work. Walked through the door and the heavens decided to really let go with rain.
Brightening up quite nicely now though.

si_c

Guru
Damp and warm this morning, and hit most of the lights on green, which was a bonus. Just one pillock in a foreign registered HGV who decided to pass me with about 2ft to spare, only to start pulling in further to the left before he'd cleared me. If it was a UK registered vehicle I'd have been tempted to contact them.

John_S

Über Member
I had an interesting ride in this morning due to a bike change.

My bike is currently at a LBS having a new bottom bracket fitted and so I had to use my alternative which is a Raleigh Apex MTB which I bought in about 1993 I think. I've not used it for absolutely ages and so the change was quite fun to be honest. However now that I have an actual road bike I can definitely feel that this is not the most appropriate tool for the job when it comes to road riding. When I was younger and I bought this bike it was of course my only bike (it replaced my previous Raleigh Mustang MTB (which I think had friction shifters to give you an idea of the era (and I've seen that Raleigh have recently resurrected the Mustang name with a new bike)) which was sold. I used to use it from everything from off road (although nothing too extreme because I live in East Anglia) to road riding of 100 miles plus and at that point I'd never ridden a road bike and so I didn't know anything else so I guess I though nothing of it slogging away on fat tyres on the tarmac.

I've not used this bike for absolutely ages and everything seemed to be in working order apart from the front derailleur. It's a triple chainset and I was stuck in the middle chainring which if you're going to be stuck in one is probably the best one to get stuck in I guess.

The only annoying thing about this morning was that it was chucking it down with rain and unlike my regular bike this one does not have mudgaurds and so I got a soaking wet a**e and back.

Still at least I had the Girvin Flexstem smoothing out any bumps from the road. As you can probably tell I had a fair bit of fondness and nostalgia using this bike today.

However if it carries on raining on my commutes I'll be glad to get my other bike back from the LBS.

Hope that everyone has a good commute home today and then a good weekend.

John

Dan B

Disengaged member
Happily cycling along Lea Bridge Road this morning when a builders merchant crane drives straight out of a side road into my path, at a speed I would have described as "making progress". Very glad my "fixie" has the legally required front and rear brakes (praise the lord for koolstop dual compound) or I'd have been spread thinly across his radiator.

"You nearly farking killed me", says I in the heat of the moment. "I said sorry, what else do you want me to do", replies driver, I felt somewhat less than apologetically

Report + video sent to roadsafe but didn't get a registration number because the vehicle was sideways on. Company name & phone number painted on its side, though. We'll see if they do anything with it

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Happily cycling along Lea Bridge Road this morning when a builders merchant crane drives straight out of a side road into my path, at a speed I would have described as "making progress". Very glad my "fixie" has the legally required front and rear brakes (praise the lord for koolstop dual compound) or I'd have been spread thinly across his radiator.

"You nearly farking killed me", says I in the heat of the moment. "I said sorry, what else do you want me to do", replies driver, I felt somewhat less than apologetically

Report + video sent to roadsafe but didn't get a registration number because the vehicle was sideways on. Company name & phone number painted on its side, though. We'll see if they do anything with it

What else do you want him to do?

Get off the road, get some driving lessons before he goes out again and ask for help with stopping at the sodding white line, perhaps ?

Dan B

Disengaged member
What else do you want him to do?

Get off the road, get some driving lessons before he goes out again and ask for help with stopping at the sodding white line, perhaps ?
In the heat of the moment the only constructive advice I could offer was "look where you're going" but those are all good suggestions too.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Only got rained on twice today - on the way in and on the way home.

The morning shower was of the intensity that shows up red on Netweather.tv radar and required all of my cycling gear spending 4 hours in the JML Dri Buddy we have at work before they were dry. By the end of the shift my shoes had still not dried despite having been in the dryer the whole time, but at least they were a very warm, wet pair!

At least the rain isn't cold at this time of year.

Thorn Sherpa

Über Member
Slightly raining on the commute to work tonight but not bad at all, 1st time using the panniers today and what a difference it makes! Safe to say the rucksack is getting hung up, probably keep my spare tubes in it

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Public transport for me as i have veen temporarily re-located to another branch at work. They want me to work permanently at two different locations so it's a pain to haul my full uniform back and forth at the end. Might need to get the pannier rack refitted. Not very happy about it.

Otherwise it's was a beautiful 1 mile hike to the station in the cool sunshine. On the train now heading into LST but im not enjoying it a single bit.

Sixmile

Veteran
High winds this morning but I decided to do my shorter commute (parking the car just under half way) after leaving the kids off at school. The wind was strong but generally sideways at worst. Pulled into Tescos to find that that store don't stock Bagels and if that wasn't bad enough, further down the road a black van beeps, swerves around me and pulls into a left junction right in front of me in an attempt to force me to a stop. I gave a wave and sailed on down to work, I hope he enjoys his day.

si_c

Guru
Bit slower in this morning, ever so slight cross headwind, but the gusts were quite strong from the side so I kept the pace down a bit.

Quite nice run in otherwise.

Top Bottom