Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

J1888

Über Member
Snowy on the way in and pretty chilly - had to make the cap kept as much snow out of my eyes as possible, but even then some got in.

Was fearing the worst on the way home but it actually felt less cold, but was much more windy than this morning.

Randombiker9

I wasn’t expecting it to snow today I missed the snow just in time when I got to college on the way back I got caught 5 mins before I was back home but luckily it didn’t settle and my bike has disc brakes.
No problems with Traffic today

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Absolutely bitterly cold for the commute home. I got home just in time to beat the snow storm that's just hit and is settling. Good thing I have a day off tomorrow,. I don't fancy cycling much tomorrow if the roads are all covered in snow, mush and ice.

si_c

Guru
Cold cold cold. And two local authorities saw fit to spray me in the face with their gritter trucks.

Could have been worse as one of the guys I was riding with clipped my back wheel and went down. Bit bruised and sore, but ok I think.

Combination of me braking because something plastic was flying around off the front wheel and I wasn't sure what it was, and him being too close behind. I did shout to warn, but was too quick to brake. Feel a bit bad tbh.

J1888

Über Member
Cold cold cold. And two local authorities saw fit to spray me in the face with their gritter trucks.

Could have been worse as one of the guys I was riding with clipped my back wheel and went down. Bit bruised and sore, but ok I think.

Combination of me braking because something plastic was flying around off the front wheel and I wasn't sure what it was, and him being too close behind. I did shout to warn, but was too quick to brake. Feel a bit bad tbh.

Unfortunate, but if he was too close then he was too close. Riders on my commute do at time ride up the backside of each other even in wet/foul weather, which is just daft.

I told a guy a few months back that he was too close to me, and just got a load of aggro - some people just ain't that smart.

si_c

Guru
Unfortunate, but if he was too close then he was too close. Riders on my commute do at time ride up the backside of each other even in wet/foul weather, which is just daft.

I told a guy a few months back that he was too close to me, and just got a load of aggro - some people just ain't that smart.
I know, I didn't realise he was quite so close and right behind. Still feel bad though. In fairness to him we often ride like that, fairly close up, so should have realised.

KneesUp

Guru
Pleased I didn't bail out today but it was straight there and back on the quickest route, not the extended journey home I was planning. It was a two-hat day, and we don't get too many of them - although oddly more as I get older ...

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Surprisingly pleasant journey home last night, given half term holidays appear to have passed. Although the easterly breeze behind me for most of the journey certainly added to the enjoyment.

This morning snow 25/30mm deep at home with heavy flakes falling. Luckily the time I leave generally gives me freedom to ride where ever on the road I want, which was a big plus this morning. Once on more major roads, snow a plenty, but staying in car tracks helped, boosted by noticeably fewer cars. The big flakes of snow eased off after a three miles or so, gradually becoming smaller and for the last couple of miles, the snow was almost rain; although this has now reverted to snow again.
Weirdly, whilst bodily pleasantly warm, the air felt colder on my face as I approached the metropolis. Will need to check the computer if this was reality or whether concentrating riding on snowy roads earlier in the journey was the distraction. Although I hadn't been cold, when I arrived at work, mine and the bike's appearance suggested cold air temperature: On the bike, pretty much everything below the crossbar was covered in snow, including an attractive accumulation in the rear bottle cage. Helmet had ice on the surface between the vents and gauntlet gloves, worn because of the dire cold weather warnings, were frozen around the gauntlets.
Only two other cyclists seen.
Bike is going to need a damn good clean tonight.

Not too bad down here in London on the commute, dusting of snow, no ice and plenty of grip. I was suprised to see a young girl( 8-11 maybe) walking to school in just a pair of socks, skirt, white blouse and a blazer like it was spring. I would have thought her parents would have at least make her wear a coat and tights. She did not look miserable though.

rivers

How far can I go?
Even though it was a bit chilly, it was a pleasant journey in today. I had the right amount of layers on, and the hand and feet warmers in the gloves and shoes did the trick. There were even loads of families and kids out this morning. Only downside is my bike seems to be making some sort of squeaking noise... I think it's due for a service.

Sixmile

Veteran
A quick look out the window this morning showed me I was good for another cold commute. I don't mind the cold, just as long as it's not cold & wet making it too slippery. I felt really fit, fast and agile even up the hills this morning, then it dawned on me that I'd a pretty decent tailwind. Such a nice change though. Managed to leave even more traffic in my wake once I got to the outskirts of the city as me and my tailwind worked together for an overall super commute!

si_c

Guru
-3°C this morning, so not too bad, plenty of ice in the village but once onto the main road it was more or less clear all the way in. Lots of traffic stuck in queues though. Not really sure why, the roads were gritted.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Booked today off a week ago. And good thing really.
orca-image-1519715824908.jpg_1519715825578.jpeg

Top Bottom