Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dhd.evans

Veteran
Today marks the 2 year anniversary that I arose to cycle to work in the hospital and ended up arriving in the back of an ambulance. Thanks to inexplicably selfish decisions made by the driver of the car I connected with I get to live with constant pain and facial disfigurement that the NHS has had to pick up and attempt to resolve. Bon anniversaire, you bottom-feeding scumhole.

Ciar

Veteran
Nice ride as it's Friday, that's where it stops! windy mcwindface was back again. :wacko:

clf

Hot this morning, face soaked in sweat as soon as I stopped at lights. What do people do to keep it out of your eyes?

13 rider

Guru
For the past two weeks my hybrids gear have been missing a beat every now and then , pedal does not engage for a split second then back to normal kept thinking that needs looking at . This morning 1 mile from home entering Bradgate park and lost all drive cassette just spinning and not engaging . Walked back up the hill then rolled home . Swapped everything out of the panniers into a rucksack and set off on my roadie still made work on time but just short of a few extra miles . Home tonight took the gear wheel off and cassette has loads of movement on it . Going to Lbs tomorrow to pick up repaired wheel for the roadie ( new rim ) looks like I will be handing in another then

Nyooome-nore

A buff or a cycle cap.
My lid has a sweat band as part of the padding, alternatively a light cycling cap would help too.

My tale from a few days ago, had a very zen/tuned in moment cycling home with the bike. I decided to play in the higher gears and push out a lower cadence and found myself in the fastest combo pushing along at a steady 25mph, and I felt the road through the pedals as I pedalled along; it was a really cool moment and I have not felt anything like that before.

This morning the bike was fighting me all the way in though, so win some loose some, might need to double check the toe-in on the new brake blocks.

Ciar

Veteran
Youngest daughter in our bed at 2 and 3 makes for a tired old me, but i got on the bike and rode and thankfully windy mcwindface was nowhere to be found, now to stay awake for the rest of the day :crazy:

Last edited:

Sixmile

Veteran
We went for a few mile pootle yesterday afternoon with the kids and unbeknown to me at the time, disaster had struck. My basis of boasting was now gone, I could no longer say it, I could no longer display that smug face, I could no longer scoff at those who'd taken a more economical option, yes that's right, I got a puncture with one on my marathon supreme tyres. They had almost reached the year but fell short by a matter of weeks. Fortunately I had went out to move my bike last night and noticed it so fixed the puncture before bed. Puncture fixed and I decided on the short commute this morning, 7 miles in simply fantastic conditions.

Last edited:

Nyooome-nore

For the past two weeks my hybrids gear have been missing a beat every now and then , pedal does not engage for a split second then back to normal kept thinking that needs looking at . This morning 1 mile from home entering Bradgate park and lost all drive cassette just spinning and not engaging . Walked back up the hill then rolled home . Swapped everything out of the panniers into a rucksack and set off on my roadie still made work on time but just short of a few extra miles . Home tonight took the gear wheel off and cassette has loads of movement on it . Going to Lbs tomorrow to pick up repaired wheel for the roadie ( new rim ) looks like I will be handing in another then

Had the exact same thing happen to me just over a week ago, went to push away from a roundabout and... nothing! Luckily there was a Decathlon on my route so walked in, dripping wet and slightly ticked, walked out with a free, new back wheel and rode the rest of the way home.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
CA6BF1F9-ABCA-4B2D-9481-1ED4D37FD18A.jpeg

First nocturnal commute home with bare legs, bare arms and fingerless gloves!!!
A pleasant 16c to 17c
But it did start raining a bit at 01:00 as I put the bike away..

Top Bottom