Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rivers

How far can I go?
Managed to just miss the rain on my way in today. If the forecast is right, I will just miss it on my way home. Trialling my new "lighter packing of sh*te" on the way home today. Instead of a backpack full of god knows what (laptop, clothes, and whatever other various sundries are in my backpack), I am opting for a half frame pack for phone, keys, work ID, wallet, and maybe some snacks, a 6 litre seat pack with my clothes and tools/spare tube, and a slimline backpack for my laptop. If it works out, it might become a lightweight bikepacking rig for overnight trips on the bike.

gaijintendo

Veteran
Had my first Fixie chain drop, and it was significantly less dramatic than I had imagined. I had always expected a chain to snap and tangle causing immediate breaking - but it just slipped off onto the spokes. I'm glad i didn't pedal on and chew them out.

I booked the bike on a railingr andand ail the chain back on then booted up in safe mode... but there was an asymmetric wobble feeling - which was a loose left pedal.

Poor thing!

Edit: chain needs replaced, but it's doing the job. Slightly over tensioned the chain, so coming home was a real slog. It makes hills geel steeper and getting away from the lights arduous!
That left pedal came loose again today. I just undid it by hand and pedalled on... So exhausting on the arms weirdly.

rivers

How far can I go?
Trialled the new bike bag configuration last night and this morning on the way to work. I must say, I like it. Backpack weighs almost nothing due to only have a laptop and a sunnies case in it. Small large saddlebag has clothes and tools/tube (in a small saddlebag so I can just pop it on for club runs, days out on the road where I don't need much) and frame bag has keys, phone, and wallet. Happy days. It also looks like it will work for a lightweight bikepacking set-up. Just need to figure out how to carry another water bottle as I can only fit one 500ml bottle with the frame bag.
20190409_164815.jpg
20190409_165312.jpg
20190409_180535.jpg

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I don't believe I had to use the ice bike again today!
-2 when I left at the back of 6am, bird bath frozen solid.
I knew it was coming, but, still, on the 10th of April :sad:
There seemed to be no ice, then again I would not have noticed small patches.
On the way home, the sun was shining, 13C.

LucretiaMyReflection

This morning the crosswinds weren't too bad. Had a quick coffee and custard tart on the way in. Way back - cross/head winds, quite blustery so used it to do a tempo/threshold session. Lovely sunshine and took some fairly quiet back roads along the river.

Nice step up there @rivers - been pondering a framebag myself and would have the same problem with the bottle cage.

Grievesy

Bloomin came off the bike, I should know better chasing segments on Strava :smile: pedaling into the corner and leaned over too much, pedal caught the tarmac and flipped me out. boo. Bike is fine, just some pedal grinding and the bar tape got bust a bit. it's more the gravel rash that still stings..

rugby bloke

Veteran
Bloomin came off the bike, I should know better chasing segments on Strava :smile: pedaling into the corner and leaned over too much, pedal caught the tarmac and flipped me out. boo. Bike is fine, just some pedal grinding and the bar tape got bust a bit. it's more the gravel rash that still stings..
Ouch ... Get well soon. As long as the bike is ok !

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Blimey, it's gone back to being very chilly on the morning commute.
Back into leg warmers and long finger gloves. 2° this morning when I left for work. Well at least it's nice and dry.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Chilly and just about a frost on the commute in this morning , went the slightly longer route for the first time for about 3 weeks .

It's amazing how some hgv drivers give cyclist's loads of room when other's don't but i guess whats new on that front

Alba Zeus

Über Member
Chilly and just about a frost on the commute in this morning , went the slightly longer route for the first time for about 3 weeks .

It's amazing how some hgv drivers give cyclist's loads of room when other's don't but i guess whats new on that front

Had one give me plenty of room with the front of his cab yesterday and pulled in too quickly so the end of his wagon almost hit me.

Top Bottom