Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
didnt see the time ;)

solo at 24mph avg is serious f***ing power, unless you had a big tailwind for the whole ride.

I think he is on a moped or an electric bike with the limiter removed :tongue:

GrasB

Veteran
out of interest what do you weigh? Is that your FTP too?
80.7g
No, see reference above. Last time I did an all out 1h effort it was 356.9w.

What's FTP (other than File Transfer Protocol) ?
FTP = Functional Power Threshold. The Maximum power you can sustain for a period. When people talk about their FTP they're usually talking about their 1h threshold.

FTP is not to be confused with Critical Power (CP) which is the maximum power you can average over a period. While at very long & very short durations these can be considered the same your 10min FTP & CP could well be significantly different as a 800w power kick for 30s could be leveraged from in-muscle ATP reserves which wouldn't be utilised in a steady paced 10 min run.

Bloody wind.
Bloody wind.
Bloody wind.
Bloody wind.

Had enough of the bloody wind.:angry:

jarlrmai

Veteran
80.7g
No, see reference above. Last time I did an all out 1h effort it was 356.9w.

FTP = Functional Power Threshold. The Maximum power you can sustain for a period. When people talk about their FTP they're usually talking about their 1h threshold.

FTP is not to be confused with Critical Power (CP) which is the maximum power you can average over a period. While at very long & very short durations these can be considered the same your 10min FTP & CP could well be significantly different as a 800w power kick for 30s could be leveraged from in-muscle ATP reserves which wouldn't be utilised in a steady paced 10 min run.

So I guess you commute to the NCC?

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Another flat tyre! Noticed it when I got home. Found the culprit, one of the studs had gone through the tyre, so removed it, superglued the hole where the stud was and put a patch on the inside of the tyre, hopefully that will fix it.

GrasB

Veteran
So I guess you commute to the NCC?
You could consider where I work to be the North City Campus... but it's known as the West Site around these parts :tongue:

Seriously though, what part of my post are you referring to? 360w is about 4.4W/kg, that's mid-pack Cat 2 standards, based on data collected in the US. The thing is I'm heavy for a cyclist so have lot of power for relatively low PWR (Power to Weight Ratio). The indications are if I can get the training right I should be levelling off north of 5W/kg (>400W). That's a long way off & based on lot of hard, painful work. I'm shooting for several VERY tough targets to try & get a very special achievement under my belt. I am willing to accept I'll never get there & know if I don't get there in a few years it's something that will never happen. But if it was easy it wouldn't be worth the time & effort.

Wouldn't that be FPT?
Yeah but it's Functional Threshold Power... :blush: Functional Power Threshold is something very different & unrelated to cycling

Top Bottom