Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

paul04

Über Member
A white road bike without mudguards on wet roads= wet backside and a very dirty bike, so today I wore waterproof trousers, so I could keep dry from the water spray off the tyres.
Finished work early, so called in Halfords to have a look at there hybrid bikes, seen a couple I like, so I will just wait for the sales at christmas, and use the new bike for the commute to work in the new year.
one day left in work :smile:

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Rode in on the fast bike this morning, no guards. The BBC had said there wouldn't be any rain. :angry: It did, so I thought I would stick an extra 15 miles onto my normal commute out in the dark Cheshire Lanes in the heavy rain on the way home. :evil:Coz I can.

Simontm

Veteran
Last trip of 2014. Leisure rides till next year and absolutely fine and dandy. Even got some PBs some how....now where to ride on Thursday?

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Bit of a crappy one this morning. Couldn't get going properly and then had another sodding puncture ten minutes in. The gusty headwind didn't help either so hoping for a better one on the way home!

Exile

Back on the bike for the first time in almost a week and the Weather God certainly didn't give me an easy time of it. Fine, drizzly rain and a constant headwind, just what you want for a morning ride. Hoping that the wind against me on the away in will mean wind with me on the way home, but past experience has taught me otherwise.

Found yet a other road closure on my route. Looked like I could've got through, but followed the diversion for the benefit of the police van behind me, who'd been behind me for a few minutes and had made no attempt to pass. The cynic in me fears they were waiting for me to ignore the large Road Closed sign before giving me a tug.

Matt1705

Über Member
6 miles into my 20 mile commute and I suddenly remember I've left my works keys at home .

Thankfully my boss is more laid back than most so didn't matter much that I was a little bit late.

Borrowing the work's van over Christmas so that was my last commute this year.

Origamist

Legendary Member
8C this morning - tropical!

Three near misses in the space of 30 mins:

Driver of a parked Hilux swings his door open in front of me as I’m just about to pass in Knutsford – I’m a little over 4ft away from the side of his car and he misses me with a foot to spare. I think he says “sorry”.

Overtaking stationary traffic on Brooklands Road when a driver decides he’s tired of waiting and "manoeuvre-dicates" right into a junction as I’m alongside. Luckily, I’m only doing about 10mph and turn into the junction with him. He then sees me and looks shocked. I shake my head and carry on.

At another junction a driver decides to ignore a give way as I’m turning right – I slam on the brakes and either the driver is oblivious to my presence or studiously ignores me...

Hopefully that’s my quota of bad driving for December...

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
8C?
Ha.. 10C down here in the smoke.. had torrential rain all last night. Roads were very wet this morning. Made for a very mucky bike.
Also had a near miss this morning, stupid London bus driver on the A21. Oh yes he could see me overtaking as I could see him looking in his mirror at me. But he thought he would just pull out anyway. Had to accelerate hard to clear his side/near end. Tosspot. He got the finger and some sweary words for his efforts.

Calmer is Karma. I think the traffic is more 'dangerous' this week than in other, recent weeks - I have sighed heavily about five or six times already, and it's only Wednesday!. Could it be all the hesitant, direction finding, present seeking, text reading and general absent-mindedness lost in thought over what to drink with the turkey crown etc that is making mischief for the pleasant cyclist?
Slow down a bit, anticipate the worst and avoid it. Be happy, because you can do what others cannot. Smile and look for the next event - not one that has passed, and love that feeling that the bike permits us.
Origamist: get a folder.
ianrauk: get a wipe.
Combine the two and have the cleanest bike - ever! :santa::snowball:

Bit late but had my first off yesterday evening. Don't panic, the bike is fine, just scuffed off the 105 logo from my 'brifter' and sheared off the rear mudgaurd but was able to fix it at home with cable ties.

Thermal jersey and baselayer have ripped, but I should be able to sew on a badass skull and crossbones patch I acquired some time ago. I'll have one hell of a bruise on my thigh and lower arm has some nasty road rash. Im a bit stiff and sore today, and my arm stings like a female dog, but I'll live.

According to strava I went down at 25mph, must have been over quick but happened in slow motion and had a lot of time to think about how dangerous this was. Luckily the car behind was far enough away to stop safely and stick his hazards on until I got out of the gutter. He stopped with me until he was sure I was ok, top bloke. The road surface on that bend is dead smooth and I think there must be an oil spill. Lesson learnt, and I won't be travelling anywhere near that fast on this section of road again.

Be careful out there people.

Ride in this morning slow and arduous due to thigh bruising, but I'd rather suffer through that than the traffic!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
sorry to hear that @confusedcyclist , the problem with this type of year when the roads are wet and greasy from overnight rain and/or mist is that spilt diesel which usually dries up becomes very slippery when wet again. Even the smallest patch can send you down.

Stephen C

Über Member
Warm and windy this morning, but had the added excitement of watching a Boeing 777 circle low overhead for about 30 minutes before watching it touch down at Cambridge airport from halfway up the nearby "hill", great sight!

Tropical weather for my commute this morning too. I was positively warm under the collar when I arrived at work.

I had my first mechanical failure in a year this morning (chain bounced off). Typically as I was climbing 'the Flints' over to Bo'ness.

I raised my hand and looked franticly behind, hoping the support vehicle was not too far behind but they must of missed the junction. So I had to flip and fix myself.

Top Bottom