Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

si_c

Guru
Driving instructor?

Good deals on Cycliq products at present, and your police force have an online reporting system where you can share private(?) YouTube links. Also, if you know you are being recorded, you might moderate your behaviour, not that I think you were being unruly.

I suggest this as, other than stew, there is nothing really positive you can really get from the experience. And who doesn't like buying gadgets?

I've had a look at the Cycliq stuff, and they seem very bulky to me to be honest, plus I already use a dynamo lights setup. I do use a barfly computer mount, which has a gopro mount underneath...

In all honesty though, 99.999% of drivers are fine, and on the odd occasion I do feel the need to stop and speak to a driver, they usually apologise when I explain that they were too close, and that's it. You can't plan your life around dealing with tossers, you'll go mad.

But then, more gadgets!

chriscross1966

Über Member
Morning Bazzer, glad to hear that not only the driver was unhurt (apart from being a bit shaken) but also glad that their driving didn't end up taking you out at the same time during the accident.

I have to say that there was nothing nearly as eventful as that on my commute today. In fact it was a lovely ride into work and a great morning to be on the bike!

It was a little bit chilly at about -1 with a frost on the fields and gardens wither side of the road but the road was dry and it was lovely and sunny without too much wind so I really enjoyed this mornings ride. I do have a problem with the shifting on my Shimano Alfine IGH at the moment so I'm riding singly speed for now but that just meant it was a nice leisurely ride into work and I just took in my surroundings on a beautiful morning.

Alfine's are very sensitive to getting the setting right and keeping the gear cable moving smoothly.... It seems to pay to get really good cables and I find the outer seems to be more important than the inner... I use Jagwire Road Pro and it seems to work well on my 11-speed Brompton... also the alignment dot thing on the shifter mechanism should be considered a starting point for negotiation rather than the last word in the matter....

John_S

Über Member
Hi chriscross1966,

Thanks very much for your message and advice which is much appreciated!

I've actually just bought myself a new Jagwire gear cable because that's the next thing on my list to try in order to hopefully solve my shifting issue. No I just need to get the time to fit it which is easier said that done between work and all of the family stuff on the weekends but fingers crossed I'll get it sorted soon.

In the meantime having done quite a few rides with the bike as a single speed I'm staring to get used to it now.

Cheers, John

dhd.evans

Veteran
Committed to 3/4 bib shorts yesterday. Today was a downpour but sacked up and did it again. I'm Caucasian but my ankles were definitely Afro-Caribbean on arrival at work.... :smile:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
It was raining when I got up this morning and looked out of the window. I though it was going to be yet another wet cycle commute. Luckily it had stopped by the time I had left home. Bloody right too... bleedin' inconsiderate crappy wet weather. We've had enough y'hear.

si_c

Guru
This mornings commute was yet another gusty cross/headwind, kept getting pulled left/right as vans or lorries went past creating a draft in the opposite direction. At least it was dry, last night the forecast was for rain.

Only -3 today yet I parked the bicycle, I am getting weak.

So it is only -3 but the wind is over 40 kph, we have us a spring blizzard. Our "normal" staying snow is very dry, it will not stick together to make a snow ball. When the temperature warms up to -3 the snow is very wet and makes for a much harder ride.

Leaway2

Lycrist
20180323_172218.jpg

The red car wasn't quite blocking the cycle path so the black car had to pull up close

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Wet ride in again this morning, started as drizzle and progressed to rain as I neared work. Despite being 8 degrees C I felt cold and struggled to get warm even with a buff, hat and base layer.
Nice ride home, got too hot though:laugh:
Looks like wet again for tomorrows commute too:rain::rain:

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Today's commute was the last day of 19 consecutive days of cycling - 13 round trip commutes, 1 trip to collect my car from its MOT, 1 shopping trip & 4 leisure rides.

Weekend off at Brands Hatch (Sat) and Silverstone (Sun) then back to normal on Monday - and it's a short week thanks to Easter:thumbsup:.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
What a surprise, wet again:sad::rain::rain: Headwind to boot, and with nearly 200 miles done this week I really felt it. Maybe I should take a couple of days off..

Sixmile

Veteran
Half term fairly lightens the traffic. Added to that, I left the house much later this morning and sailed in without any issue. Well, apart from struggling to get my gloves on. It was a little nippy so I took out my Polaris lined gloves and the lining was fine for 7 fingers and 1 thumb but for the other finger and thumb, I couldn't get them anywhere near comfortable or straight.

Ciar

Veteran
Nice ride up until a fairy decided to attack me! then i took an age to change inner tube as i run marathon + tyres which have not been off the bike since fitting, which has to be about 2.5k miles, they were a complete git to get back on. only to realise that i had replaced the tube, but not checked the tyre properly and slowly rode in on another flat!

Top Bottom