Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Seems to me that avoiding CV19 means avoiding any no directional off road cycle route in or close to an urban area. In any case om most you cannot get 2m away from someone going the other way.
So true, I was at times squeezing past groups so I’m giving up the shared routes until normality returns and everyone gives up on their right to exercise 😆😆

Beautiful morning. First journey into the office since I went into precautionary isolation, now we are in lockdown, I luckily still have work, but I only need to be in once every other week for the time being. I was intensely looking forward to the journey. Peaceful roads, hardly any numpties in sight. Still, one moron in hurry couldn't wait 3 seconds for the oncoming car to pass in a sea of empty roads. They just had to squeeze in the gap, leaving me a few cm to spare.

Funny how everything changes, except idiots behind the wheel. Everyone should know what 2 meters looks like these days, and it's fair to say that 1.5m for a safe overtake isn't that far off. 🤦‍♂️

Last edited:

Randombiker9

In my area of Reading, it seems like most people are following the rules. What’s it like in other areas of Berkshire

when I’ve gone out as for my one form of excersize. (As allowed per restrictions). I only see a few seperate people running, walking, cycling, walking there dogs (and only 2 people max at a time or a family like parents and children. Yes there’s a few veichles out but there most likely key workers. But there do seem to be a few more idiots drivers out but that’s most likely everywhere

I don’t bother using the cycle paths as you can’t social distance yourself on them When I’m going out for my one form of excersize
And it’s good it’s still allowed compareed other countries that have banned outdoor excersize

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
The tale today is of a double puncture front and back :sad:. Front sealed up quick without needing to put air in, the rear just spewed sealant everywhere due to the large gaping slash ! Oh well stuck a tube in to get me home and will try a tyre worm and some new sealant at home. If not I shall need to purchase a new tyre. :ohmy:

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Ruffled a chap on an electric assist bike this morning after I passed him only for him to blitz pass me and jump a red light ( he did indicate though 😆) Maybe he was more upset I was riding my usual single speed commuter tank 😆😆😆
Ride home was a lot quieter for some reason even though the weather was perfect and it was topped off by seeing this freshly born Shetland pony along the East Lancs

72FEA30F-2C7E-4F21-AC58-C455FC0AB69C.jpeg

Very mild on the ride home this morning. Thinking about it now I am actually surprised to still be enjoying the same identical cycle commute after 10 years!!!
Is that a bit weird? It's not like it is a picturesque or rural commute, just 10 miles of mostly urban grind in each direction....
If it works for you, it does!
^_^

Tom B

Guru
Just re-entering civilisation on one commute this week when an earphoned jogger decided to step off the pavement and cross the road without bothering to look about 2m in front of me. Shouted, slammed on and dodged but still clipped her with my shoulder knocking her to the floor.

Stopped to check she was fine and was somewhat surprised to be berated with you should have rung your bell and the no insurance nonsense came out. A driver who also stopped told her it was a good job i hit her not his car and told her he had dash cam which seemed to shut her up.

I doubt it'll be needed but having the Cycle UK Insurance gives great piece of mind and satisfaction at being able to turn around and tell her I do have insurance and ask what insurance she carried for her jogging. Worth every penny of the £6 a month and I usually really look forward to end enjoy the magazine too.

Last edited:

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Bit of a change in conditions this morning - back into thermal gloves, trousers and three layers up top for the ride in. Strong north easterly provided a decent push down the seafront leg of the trip and it looks to have eased up a bit for the return trip up the seafront.

Tom B

Guru
The puncture fairy had been out last night, found myself with two others fixing a puncture at the side of the road. One thorn one bit of glass one unknown.

Given the early hour the bloke with the unknown was a bit concerned he'd missed the source of the puncture and he was from about 40miles away so gave him my spare, spare tube and bottle of gas.

He insisted on taking my PayPal details but it really wasn't necessary.

-16C this morning and I broke a chain, when does spring start?

The chain broke in the most unusual way, I was soft pedaling on a slight down hill. I shifted a gear in the rear and the chain came apart. Any snaps I have had in the past have come under very hard effort (usually climbing a hill). The chain wrapped around my cassette as I coasted to a stop. No other damage done. Had to call the wife for a rescue.

Top Bottom