Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Was lovely earlier.

IMG_20211018_071110859_HDR.jpg

But red sky in the morning and all that...

Yesterday there were traffic jams in Kenizngen, a town I have to commute through. This despite the bypass and Autobahn running past the town.

Drivers reacted the way they always do and went along the supposedly traffic free route through the fields, which is very narrow, full of pedestrians, and has several blind bends. I still can't understand the sense of entitlement that allows people to drive along a road that is clearly signed as traffic free, endangering other people in the process, just to avoid five minutes in a traffic jam.

However, I could see them all pouring out of the side roads and I've learned that in this situation it's a lot safer to ride down the main road because the traffic snarls itself up so much that it's travelling at my natural speed anyway.

At the other end of the town I went back onto the cycle way and happily passed all the stationary cars as I continued on my merry way...

Last edited:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Blimey... near sweated one out on this mornings commute. Was a light drizzle in the air but luckily the heavy showers came through before I left for work. Hopefully I can time it just right to dodge any showers which are predicted for this afternoon.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
That was a wet one. Steady rain at the start, but pitch black along the canal - visibility wasn't great. Rain worsened to torrential as I neared the city. The bike looks quite clean considering. Shoes and clothing soaked. No drying facilities any more, so clothes hung on shelves, with two usb fans running off a power bank to try and dry them. My shoes are on an electric radiator in the store room.

Must find out what happened to the drying cabinet we used to have.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Nearly 16°C when I left for work this morning - at 6am! Even the slight drizzle was warm.

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
I didn’t fancy a 65-minute ride in torrential rain this morning so opted to take the car. And had a 65-minute drive instead. The SatNav did it’s best to avoid the traffic, but I never expected miracles. One thing the SatNav did do was take me to the wrong end of the very long road I needed to get to, but hey ho, that’s why I normally ride and plot the route myself. Hope we have better weather tomorrow, today I didn’t fancy getting soaked yet to the skin then spending all day outside in it before riding home during the forecast rain later.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
This morning: Half overcast and sweaty, half wet and sweaty.

Reported a pothole (direct to Herts Highways) on Monday evening and when I rode home yesterday they'd already fixed it. The've apparently fixed a huge buddlia bush blocking a cycleway also but I haven't been that way to inspect the works. Also this morning there wasn't a huge puddle on the Bedmond road so I wonder if they've also dug out the drains?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
It pissed down with rain all night. I woke up at 5.30 to the rain. Luckily by the time I left for work at 7.30 it was just a very light drizzle and a few minutes on it had stopped completely. Off with the softshell as once again it was a very warm ride in.

Top Bottom