Tales from today's utility ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OK, today's utility ride is in direct support of my tin box.
The other day, the wondrous piece of silicon that is the main ECU detected the death of the two rear ABS sensors. In efficient German fashion, it decided the car was now completely unroadworthy (as opposed to the reality of being reduced to being a 'normal' cheaper vehicle), and shut the car down almost completely.
It did not put the engine into limp mode, but the transmission instead. This left me with a fourteen mile drive in 1st gear...
The quote for the work was £604, £220 of which was the two sensors. WTF? Found a reasonable quality pair on the bay of E for £36, and I'll be delivering them today, by bike.
The weather looks crap, it's not a bike I'm that happy with in slippy conditions, etc, etc. But if I used my bus pass, there's still 2 miles to walk, so I'd get just as wet.
Bike it is, then!
It was quite wet. No wind problems.
8.7mph ave. 30.99 miles. 2481ft elev gain.
Not particularly enjoyable, but it needed to be done.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Cycled to the dentist this morning, near the slightly amusing park.
upload_2018-12-14_23-56-32.png

Took the scenic route back, hoping to see some wildlife on the frozen lakes.
upload_2018-12-15_0-0-8.png

upload_2018-12-15_0-0-32.png

No wildlife!

Only did 11 miles, but 'working from home' doesn't leave much spare time!

The Bystander

Über Member
Yesterday's ride to the supermarket left me feeling unsettled as I had more than my fair share of close, aggressive driving and abuse. I'd had enough and reacted quite badly to one driver who was intent on passing by forcing me over so they could overtake into oncoming traffic. I probably endangered my life and possibly others by my reaction.

I'm trying to focus on the vast majority of drivers who were courteous or, at least, neutral and safely shared the road.

I'd also chosen my clothes based on the cataclysmic weather reports - OK, it was cold but I was dressed for arctic conditions so it wasn't just my temper that overheated :heat:

Randombiker9

Most close calls that aren't close passes seem to be with FORDS that a cars (Sorry if any of you guys own a Ford) that RD in it probarbly stands for . F****** Obnoxious Ridicolus Drivers.

I did have a camera on my bike but i stupidly didn't tighten it enough as after going over a pedestrian crossing the camera fell down so it ended up poiting down and not straight. So the close call yesterday i had after having a job interview i didn't catch because of that just the bits before and after. Driver failed to give way but i always manage to slow down or stop in time to let it past.

The Bystander

Über Member
Not a utility ride but after my negative report on Friday's ride I thought I'd quickly report on today's recreational ride.

Went out feeling like a coiled spring but in the 2+ hours I was out I experienced nothing but wide passes, patient drivers and courtesy all round. I noted just the one close(ish) pass but it was a learner so any ire would be owed to the supervisor rather than the driver and, although it could have been a wider pass, it was perfectly safe.

Deep breath, and relax. Perhaps I won't need to attend anger management classes after all.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Last week, I bought some new wheels of a friend, changed them over, including my cassette, and rode home, leaving my old wheels and tyres there.
Today, I arranged to pop over and collect them (and give him the £50 I owed him for them) I did a 30 mile loop, then lashed the wheels onto the rack and pedalled the last 7 or 8 miles home..

_20181217_145337.JPG

I could do a mean wheelie with this setup! :becool:

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
BD1E73E8-8B49-4BB3-9980-ABA0F57E4843.jpeg

Picked up my new wheel from Evans at the Trafford Centre. Definitely did not want to get stuck with all the lemmings racing to get “ bargains “ in their cars so I rode down the busway, NCN55 and the Bridgewater Way to Evans.
Got a few “ looks” as I cable tied the rear wheel to my rucksack and headed home :laugh: Got daughter to take photo before I dismounted

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Strange one today. London was quieter than usual, both plain roads and the cycleways, but after going straight on across the Stand at the north end of Waterloo Bridge, I went through the cycle-only bit of Wellington Street and on the next bit, two cars coming from a side road on the right just drove straight out over the give way line, forcing me into avoiding action. Never mind us cyclists or the law, folks! You just keep driving where you like no matter that you're going nowhere fast in the maze of tiny one-way-except-cycles streets near Covent Garden... :rolleyes:

Rest of the ride totally chilled. It's almost like some law demands that be balanced out by totally jaw dropping insane motoring. I hope they rammed a bollard outside a police station.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I wanted to see how long the free parking is in Morrisons car park (Parking Eye monitored) as I'm looking after the grandkids, on Wednesday for the duration of my daughters hospital appointment.and intend meeting there for a coffee afterwards.
On the way back along the river side path, I met an old compadre of mine, Roger, who retired last summer from owning my local LBS, The Bike Shed.

We had a chinwag for a while, then rode a few miles together before splitting of to our respective homes.
A pleasant 13 miles, with only about 2 on roads, the rest on cycle and shared user paths.

Last edited:
Top Bottom