Tales from today's utility ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Were there any signs saying you couldn't lock your bike there? I'd be interested in the legality of this, I don't think I would have been able to hold my tongue as well as you did.
No signs I could see.

TBH I have no interest in taking this further as it was such a non-event it is hardly worth the effort of typing up my little anecdote. It is only the second time I have been to the shop and I am unlikely to be needing to go again. It was just the pointless, petty, jobsworth attitude of the person involved that riled me. He knew it was my bike and had 3 options;
  1. Stick his head in the door and ask me to move my bike.
  2. Wait till I came out of the shop and ask me not to lock my bike there again.
  3. Hang around until my back was turned then stick his 'official' notice to my bike, then get some back-up from another colleague and wait for my return and try to create an argument.
Options 1 or 2 would be the obvious choice IMO, especially as he was waiting for me anyway, but he was desperate to go down route 3. I foiled his confrontational plan by being civil, unlocking my bike and leaving the scene. I don't know if it was a game, but I think I probably won?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Spiky bike today, for fear of ice, but there were only a few frozen puddles so I think I would have gotten away with it. We hit our supposed daytime high of 5c at noon and it topped out at 7c. They're now saying snow is most likely in Cambridgeshire, not Norfolk. XC Weather has halved the amount of snow forecast and, with it landing after rain, I wonder if any snow will be around by tomorrow morning. I expect to use the spiky bike again but still mainly for ice.

But the official forecast of snow seemed to have brought the older shoppers out to stock up this morning in case it's not safe to go out tomorrow. Very busy car parks and cycle parks and shops. What is the cost of the extra congestion caused by the Met Office alarmism, I wonder?

Met Office is now claiming snow here on Thu/Fri night, but "confidence is low" - I'll say!

simon.r

Person
First job today was to pick up a couple of 2.4m long floorboards:

EE08B17C-FE4F-4BFD-9D72-229942E88234.jpeg

simon.r

Person
@beany_bot, picking up planks like a boss. Did you have to walk them back?

If that’s a question for me, the answer’s no. I’m only about a mile and a half from Wickes and the ride home was uneventful.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Just a quick utility ride down to Halfords to grab a couple of cans of GT85 (with my 10% cyclinguk discount)

Only 7 miles but nice to get out, and avoid the twunk in an Audi, signalling right, but just about to left Hook me as he pulled left into a parking space. Luckily, my Spidy senses were on alert...

Last edited:

PeteXXX

17 miles, over to t'other side of town and back, to pick up a couple of bits that I'd bought from Mountain Warehouse.
Would have liked to have added a few more miles, but had to get ready for work... Boooo

PeteXXX

Just under 18 miles to borrow a pair of Quick Link pliers from a mate.

It piddled down.... Twice..

Reactions: mjr
Top Bottom