Tales from today's utility ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

The Bystander

Über Member
On the way home from the supermarket I found a car parked across the dropped kerb on the cycle route. Due to the position of the car, barriers and high kerbs I had to dismount to get my bike round the car. Irritating, but not the end of the world.

It was a lot more irritating for the elderly gentleman on a mobility scooter who had got across the road but couldn't continue.

I propped my bike up and went to help and, with a bit of effort and some deft manoeuvring we got him over the kerb, around the car and on his way.

In the meantime my bike had fallen over. On the plus side the eggs were in the pannier on the other side. Another positive was that the car's windscreen was already adorned with a fixed penalty notice. It wasn't 'till I got home that I discovered the carton of custard that had exploded when the bike fell over. Still looking for positives I'm happy to report that the bag of flour in the same pannier escaped uncontaminated - pretty much everything else had a liberal coating of custard though.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
[...] Another positive was that the car's windscreen was already adorned with a fixed penalty notice. It wasn't 'till I got home that I discovered the carton of custard that had exploded when the bike fell over. Still looking for positives I'm happy to report that the bag of flour in the same pannier escaped uncontaminated - pretty much everything else had a liberal coating of custard though.
Well done you for helping someone but weren't you tempted to return to the car and use the ruined custard to write LOOK WHAT YOU DID TO MY SHOPPING - DON'T PARK ACROSS JUNCTIONS on it?

simon.r

Person
New (to me) Bicicapace* cargo bike on its first run this morning. Still a bit of a work in progress (waiting for smaller chainring to arrive, need to sort out luggage and a few minor bits and bobs), but impressive so far.

Much as I love my Pashley Pronto (see earlier in thread) it does have its limitations. I’m expecting this to be better for longer, hillier rides.

*I’d love to know how to pronounce ‘Bicicapace’:smile: Any chance of a phonetic spelling @Pat "5mph" ?!

1B39B6A2-8B9A-4D62-BA62-40CE9F83ED30.jpeg
02224459-774E-425F-B392-5E54155A0DE1.jpeg

Edit - I’ve just asked an Italian working at my Mother in Law’s care home - beetch-ee-ca-patchee apparently:ohmy:

Last edited:

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
It may not be to everyone's taste but I parked up in a supermarket car park perfectly correctly. I came out to find that the bronze coloured MPV had parked itself about 6 inches from my door . I duly got in from the passenger door and shuffled across to the driver side.
To my eternal shame /credit I scratched the hell out of the door Panel on the close parked twat.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
upload_2019-1-14_13-3-19.png

Went into town earlier to do a few errands including a call at the bus station (Transport Interchange :rolleyes:) to use the transport authority ticket/pass shop. I locked my bike up to a sturdy post in view of the shop window, but made sure it was out of the way as I obviously don't want to cause an obstruction. I then joined the very, very slow moving queue of 4 people (and one of them was me). While I was queuing I had my eye on the bike and could see a bus station employee kept walking past looking at my bike, then looking at me, stood there in my cycling shoes and Nightvision jacket. We made eye contact several times, I don't think he could have had any doubt that the bike was mine.
Anyway, eventually my turn came and I shuffled up to the counter, losing the line of sight to the bike and turning my back to it anyway. Partway through the transaction, while the sales assistant was busy, I took a step back away from the counter to look at my bike. To my amazement, the above notice was now taped to the top tube! I kid you not, the spineless wonder must have been waiting for his moment, the window of opportunity when he could attach the notice without being observed!
As I left the shop he was stood there watching me approach, with a colleague for support. He knew full well it was my bike and couldn't wait to tell me I can't lock my bike there as it is a safety hazard? I said 'fair enough, won't do it again' and he suggested I should have wheeled it into the shop with me. He was starting to get on my nerves and I could tell he just wanted to try and boss someone about. My reply was that it usually causes trouble if I try to take a bike into a shop and he said I could have popped my head in the door and asked, and I can't lock it up there because someone who is blind might fall over it.
Now I new he was just on some kind of power trip! I bit my tongue and simply muttered 'point taken' when what I really wanted to say was 'Are you f'kin stupid? Anyone who is blind or severely short-sighted and is out without a guide or carer is usually pretty adept in the use of the white stick to detect obstructions in front of them, they are less likely to fall over the bike than you or me. Also, if my bike represents such a terrible safety risk why didn't you pop your head in the door and ask me to move it?'

As I pushed my bike away (didn't want to start the 'You can't ride that in here' debate) it occurred to me that I had probably just made his day and the pointless, small minded pillock will be feeling all self important now he has dealt with the nasty law breaking cyclist! The note was blank on the reverse so has now been added to my paper pile so it can be used for making shopping lists and stuff. Good of him to add to my pile, it was getting a bit low.....

I also wonder where that sign was originally intended for? We certainly don't have a Rackhams in Ashton.

The Bystander

Über Member
Full marks for tongue biting @I like Skol . Just sad you had to.

classic33

Leg End Member
View attachment 447090

Went into town earlier to do a few errands including a call at the bus station (Transport Interchange :rolleyes:) to use the transport authority ticket/pass shop. I locked my bike up to a sturdy post in view of the shop window, but made sure it was out of the way as I obviously don't want to cause an obstruction. I then joined the very, very slow moving queue of 4 people (and one of them was me). While I was queuing I had my eye on the bike and could see a bus station employee kept walking past looking at my bike, then looking at me, stood there in my cycling shoes and Nightvision jacket. We made eye contact several times, I don't think he could have had any doubt that the bike was mine.
Anyway, eventually my turn came and I shuffled up to the counter, losing the line of sight to the bike and turning my back to it anyway. Partway through the transaction, while the sales assistant was busy, I took a step back away from the counter to look at my bike. To my amazement, the above notice was now taped to the top tube! I kid you not, the spineless wonder must have been waiting for his moment, the window of opportunity when he could attach the notice without being observed!
As I left the shop he was stood there watching me approach, with a colleague for support. He knew full well it was my bike and couldn't wait to tell me I can't lock my bike there as it is a safety hazard? I said 'fair enough, won't do it again' and he suggested I should have wheeled it into the shop with me. He was starting to get on my nerves and I could tell he just wanted to try and boss someone about. My reply was that it usually causes trouble if I try to take a bike into a shop and he said I could have popped my head in the door and asked, and I can't lock it up there because someone who is blind might fall over it.
Now I new he was just on some kind of power trip! I bit my tongue and simply muttered 'point taken' when what I really wanted to say was 'Are you f'kin stupid? Anyone who is blind or severely short-sighted and is out without a guide or carer is usually pretty adept in the use of the white stick to detect obstructions in front of them, they are less likely to fall over the bike than you or me. Also, if my bike represents such a terrible safety risk why didn't you pop your head in the door and ask me to move it?'

As I pushed my bike away (didn't want to start the 'You can't ride that in here' debate) it occurred to me that I had probably just made his day and the pointless, small minded pillock will be feeling all self important now he has dealt with the nasty law breaking cyclist! The note was blank on the reverse so has now been added to my paper pile so it can be used for making shopping lists and stuff. Good of him to add to my pile, it was getting a bit low.....

I also wonder where that sign was originally intended for? We certainly don't have a Rackhams in Ashton.

Was he in any form of staff uniform, should be black with blue lettering. The older uniforms were simply discarded by many.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
riding in Norfolk today. About an hour, just to get some Naans from a particular shop on the fens. About a quarter on cycleways, the rest on C roads. Every car and van that passed me did so wonderfully, except for one Mercedes which made a complete mess of it, catching me just before a blind bend junction, then close-passing me on the exit.

I may have offered him some Gold Blend, if you know what I mean, as I didn't have my camera on.

Anyway, it really is getting pretty good here lately IMO. I credit Operation Close Pass and the local media work that supports it, like "See One, Think Two".

Top Bottom