Tales from today's utility ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
@classic33 we need pictures!
I'm out on Thursday from 04:00 until 22:00(approx) whatever the weather. Fancy doing the early shift?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Had a bit of a nightmare yesterday. Just my usual shortest route into town and back, with a small deviation to a suburban butcher's shop, but at a significant number of road crossings, motorists appeared exactly as I passed the point of no return. You know what I mean? The point where you've looked as best you can, but visibility is restricted because the junction layout is substandard, so you go and be prepared to stomp on the brakes or the pedals or do an emergency turn to avoid a vehicle that could be approaching but can't be seen - stopping completely wouldn't help either, as it removes stomping on the pedals as a way to avoid a collision.

At the one 4-way give-way on the route, I crossed the line at the exact same moment as a motorist to my right and we both emergency-stopped. At one junction, a motorist started indicating to right-hook me so I stopped, but he stopped too and gave way, so missing a gap in the oncoming carriageway lane so I restarted. At two junctions, motorists had stopped blocking them (queuing back for their next congested junction) and wouldn't reverse back like most people do, so I had to wait. I'm sure other stuff happened but I didn't have the bike camera running (still waiting to copy off the Netherlands footage) and I don't remember it. To boot, I forgot three items of shopping on my way round so we had to change dinner plans anyway :sad:

So, plenty of adrenaline but I guess I picked the right option each time as there was no collision - not my usual relaxing carefree ride, though. :rolleyes: Oh well - better luck next time, I hope! :smile:

classic33

Leg End Member
Shorter than planned, started at 5:30am instead of 4am, still finished at 10pm though.

Piece on the back took the height to just over the five foot mark. But still one lorry driver said he never saw the only vehicle on the road, headed in the same direction as himself. Car driver head downhill pulled almost level with me, stopping the truck. At the bend in Mill Lane. @steve50, only managed Mill Lane four times, last year it was nine. I cheated as well, I didn't turn left at the top onto Whitegate. Choosing to follow the road to the right then come back on myself. I'm getting old!! And there's next time.

@Pat "5mph", no pictures by me on this one. However there were one or two video cameras turned in my direction. Mileage unknown.

I passed or was passed by the same female in blue Mercedes convertible, at least seven times throughout the day. Chased by a drunk, on foot, as I headed home on the last run. Torn between catching me and not spilling any of the contents of his can.

I count it as today as I've been on the go since since 10am Wednesday.

Feel I can put the low point of the day up now, police only only interested in the damage to vehicle, not the person on it at the time. Two in their 20's tried to turn me over, physically, by jumping on on the back. Scratches were just that at the time, scratches. But I can't explain the amount bruising. From the rear of the knee, almost to the tips of my toes. The leg is still swollen and new bruises are showing themselves.
PICT0104.JPG PICT0105.JPG PICT0107.JPG PICT0108.JPG

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
Out with the daughter for the first time this summer. Followed the canal down to the shops to buy a small tin of Danish oil. On the way we stopped at the local nature reserve which had an open day so we could all admire the bluebells.
Go past them all the time and never give them a second glance. Odd really.

classic33

Leg End Member
Once you start trying to work out if they're authentic Blighty or Spanish interlopers, you can't help looking at every clump you pass.
I meant me(going past them all the time, without a second glance), and you went off to a local nature reserve to see them.

Katherine

Guru
Shorter than planned, started at 5:30am instead of 4am, still finished at 10pm though.

Piece on the back took the height to just over the five foot mark. But still one lorry driver said he never saw the only vehicle on the road, headed in the same direction as himself. Car driver head downhill pulled almost level with me, stopping the truck. At the bend in Mill Lane. @steve50, only managed Mill Lane four times, last year it was nine. I cheated as well, I didn't turn left at the top onto Whitegate. Choosing to follow the road to the right then come back on myself. I'm getting old!! And there's next time.

@Pat "5mph", no pictures by me on this one. However there were one or two video cameras turned in my direction. Mileage unknown.

I passed or was passed by the same female in blue Mercedes convertible, at least seven times throughout the day. Chased by a drunk, on foot, as I headed home on the last run. Torn between catching me and not spilling any of the contents of his can.

I count it as today as I've been on the go since since 10am Wednesday.

Feel I can put the low point of the day up now, police only only interested in the damage to vehicle, not the person on it at the time. Two in their 20's tried to turn me over, physically, by jumping on on the back. Scratches were just that at the time, scratches. But I can't explain the amount bruising. From the rear of the knee, almost to the tips of my toes. The leg is still swollen and new bruises are showing themselves.
View attachment 127831 View attachment 127832 View attachment 127834 View attachment 127835
Crazy!!

Top Bottom