Tales from today's utility ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Odd one today: into market, but first to a meeting on a construction site. On the way there, I stopped to ask the workman guarding a cycle track diversion (it's closed for resurfacing, resulting in a 3 minute detour) if he had had much trouble - so far so good, basically.

Me turning off the cycle track into the building site surprised the gatekeeper but he accepted me as attending the meeting without question. I signed in and put "Dutch bike" as my registration number. Cycle parking was primitive - a fence to lock to - but the gatekeeper assured me that he kept an eye on the bikes. A couple of other bikes were there, but I think all the others in the meeting arrived by car, which I guess explains the gatekeeper's surprise.

After the meeting, I rode into the town centre from the opposite direction to usual, past one of my former homes. Quite an easy ride, but the last section of track is getting lumpy and the still-missing 300m connection to the town centre 20mph zone remains rather disappointing, but riding on the four-lane A road was uneventful today.

After market, I took my usual route home through a park, through some terraced streets and then a couple of cycle tracks alongside A roads. It was raining harder but also a very easy dull ride home. I did stop to thank one UKMail driver who had found a safe place to stop near a dodgy junction while he delivered a package, rather than blocking the cycle track like Yodel and UPS do - Yodel's especially annoying as they sponsor some cycling events.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Start-of-the-day run to take some garden waste to the tip and be there soon after it opens. Then I'm almost at town by the long way round so I continued in and bought a few things for this Sunday's Sandringham Samaritans charity ride (anyone want to come? It's usually a laugh. 8 or 15 mile lumpy routes I think, plus many of us do another 14 from King's Lynn to/from the start, plus maybe another couple of miles detour to a country pub) and the next few days of food.
fenwaste.jpg

I don't often take the long way round at that time of day - I was surprised how quiet the first few miles of single-track were (one car in 2 miles, I think) and how busy it was the next two miles of country road that is NCR 1 and 11 (I lost count about twelve in the first mile). Good visibility on most of it and only one motorist overtook like a prat... but there's always one, isn't there?

Did a good deed by telling a motorist who pulled out in front of me that his right-hand brake light had failed, once I caught him at the next junction (which I would have been able to bypass if he wasn't queuing back and blocking the cycle track junction :rolleyes:).

OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
As the OP I'm pleased to see this thread rumbling on.

My utility ride today was to the chemist to pick up a prescription, a visit to a corner shop for a few groceries, across town to the Vauxhall garage to book my car in for a service, and then to my local bike shop.

Task there was to collect the proceeds from the sale of my Cannondale MTB.

The shop got £500 for it, pretty good for a 2014 £850 bike, albeit one in excellent condition.

I'm told it's gone to a good home, a lad bought it on the recommendation of his mate who has one from the same shop.

Smithbat

Getting there, one ride at a time.
My utility ride yesterday was to get mudguards fitted to my bike. I am continuing to love riding her and she surprises me with what I can do on her. Some people still seem to find the sight of a larger lady on the bike weird as I do get some double takes.

Today's ride was a quick trip to the bank at lunchtime, only a mile each way but it blows the office cobwebs out. I am very much liking having the pannier rack with a bag either side, it is much easier and less restricting than having a rucksack on my back. I have now discovered that they have built in waterproof covers that are hi vis yellow so there should be no excuse for not seeing me!

Homeward tonight will be via the gym for a nice gentle swim and sauna in anticpation of my 10k walk tomorrow.

Smithbat

Some people find the sight of anyone on a bike weird, and certainly cannot grasp the notion of the bicycle as transport.

I got some looks when I wheeled my bike into the Vauxhall garage yesterday to book the service.
As I do more of these utility rides, I am discovering the lack of cycle racks or places to lock my bike up safely. When I went to the Building Society the other day, I had to take it in with me as there was no where at all.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
As I do more of these utility rides, I am discovering the lack of cycle racks or places to lock my bike up safely. When I went to the Building Society the other day, I had to take it in with me as there was no where at all.
I can usually find a lamp post or road sign post (as long as it's tall enough and got a reasonable sized sign on top!

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
I am very much liking having the pannier rack with a bag either side, it is much easier and less restricting than having a rucksack on my back. I have now discovered that they have built in waterproof covers that are hi vis yellow so there should be no excuse for not seeing me!

Panniers are great. I would hate to ride with a rucksack. There's also some evidence that riding with panniers makes the bike look wider and hence encourages drivers to give you more space when overtaking. If you ever ride with only one, as I do, it's worth putting it on the right hand side nearest the traffic.

Smithbat

Panniers are great. I would hate to ride with a rucksack. There's also some evidence that riding with panniers makes the bike look wider and hence encourages drivers to give you more space when overtaking. If you ever ride with only one, as I do, it's worth putting it on the right hand side nearest the traffic.
I did have one but I felt lopsided so I bought another to make me balanced.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Whatever works for you. I don't notice the difference unless I have something very heavy on one side - but even then after a few yards I seem to adjust.
I can carry a packed heavy pannier containing lots of paper (which is heavy in any quantity), and as long as I'm riding I don't notice it, whereas when I get off and push the bike it's suddenly apparent.

seraphina

Not quite a utility ride but in the spirit of one - we did the A10 cycleway ride en famille. Smaller child (see post passim) climbed into trailer with his monkey and promptly fell asleep; Larger serenaded me the whole way to Melbourn on the back seat. A lovely ride and lovely weather for it!

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
Yesterday was a Machine Mart VAT free day! My daughter had been looking for a ride so, after a quick look at the Map app, a route along the canals to the far side of Wolverhampton was planned and jotted down rally pace notes style. I also figured I would be unable to buy large and expensive power tools if we went on the bikes!

I would be lying if I said the whole ride was one of scenic beauty, in fact the last bit was dingo ugly. We did see baby ducks, geese and moorhens!

The ducklings were doing this weird jumping thing in the canal. I can only think the were catching some sort of buzzer/chromonid that was hatching off.

Top Bottom