Tales from today's utility ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EthelF

Rain God
Today I took my son, aged 6, to a birthday party, and then went on to do some shopping before picking him up again.
It was pants.Largely.
The father of a school friend of his said that he rode with his son on the road, so I thought I'd give it a try - previously we have ridden on very quiet residential streets but apart from that MiniEthel stuck to pavements. We have some wonderful cycle routes through our local parks, but the roads in between are not terribly cycle friendly. So today's experience was a mixed bag. No aggression, people actually according MiniEthel a heck of a lot more space and time than I am used to getting on my rides without him. But this was balanced against the knowledge and evidence that he has, unsurprisingly, the road sense of a six-year-old. He'll be back on the tandem coupling for such rides for the foreseeable future.
As I said, it wasn't all bad, I was pleasantly surpised that even in London the vast majority of drivers are very considerate in the face of a small boy on a bike. But I could still do without the abject terror that somebody out there might not be.
London may be making progress in terms of accessible and inclusive cycling. But we still have a long way to go before utility cycling is available to all.

seraphina

7 miles yesterday to and from the library. Smaller child in the trailer, generally looking like he was only there under sufferance. Still, it was a lovely day for it.

Smithbat

Getting there, one ride at a time.
Different route today which has posed the following question.

Why put a cycle path/pedestrian through the middle of the estate when you have forgotten to drop the kerbs at each end? If I bounce up a kerb on my bike I will snap those bits on the front!

Other than that I had a lovely jaunt today, a bit headwindy but apart from that all good.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Regular market day run, bit earlier than recently. Uneventful except for getting the toolkit out to slacken my chain at the first stop because the excess tension was making me feel like someone had stolen half my leg muscles :rolleyes:

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
20km into and around town on my Koga World Traveller. Nice to be able to get all the shopping in the panniers. I have been on the Koga roadbike for the past few days and you get on it and feel like a speed freak. It was good to just relax. Boiling hot again in Denmark

classic33

Leg End Member
Some people find the sight of anyone on a bike weird, and certainly cannot grasp the notion of the bicycle as transport.

I got some looks when I wheeled my bike into the Vauxhall garage yesterday to book the service.
You should try rolling up for a SVA test, as it was then, at a VOSA test facility.

D

Deleted member 1258

You should try rolling up for a SVA test, as it was then, at a VOSA test facility.

When I dropped my car in for service a couple of months ago I rolled up at the garage and took the bike out the back before handing in the keys and pedalling off, to strange looks from the mechanics. But when I pedalled back in later in the day to pick it up and was talking to the mechanic you should have seen the amazed look on his face when I told him I'd been out and put in a fifty miler while he was servicing my motor.

Last edited by a moderator:

KneesUp

Guru
I went to Sainsbury's last night for an emergency re-stock of coffee. I took a very slightly longer route as I wanted to know if you could get into the woods off a particular road (you can). I got the usual cacophony of blackbird alarm calls, plus one new one. I followed the noise and now know what a tawny owl alarm call sounds like. We looked at each other for a few minutes, just me and the owl, before I cycled off. Within 5 minutes I was in the supermarket, a million miles away.

Top Bottom