Talk to me about Gravel Wheels...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chap sur le velo

Über Member
I have purchased a Ribble Ti, drop handlebars with 700 wheels for use as my Winter/Town bike.

Want a second set of wheels for use off road when weather improves. All new to me so I aim to buy the wheels that will last me, hopefully S/H via eBay or similar.
As usual looking shows a myriad of possibilities, but I'd like to buy once, so may change the tyres etc later.

I envision a tubeless set up with 'some' "studs" on the tyres, but not to gnarly as its 10km each way to the nearest offroad. Think gravel more than mud and it will continue to be my town bike and I wont always have time to switch tyres.
How wide to go with rim width and tyres?

I seem to detect a preference for 650b wheels over 700? Why?

Is Carbon generally the way to go for low weight and longevity? If I look up specs what is a reasonable weight to expect?

Clincher or other?

I will likely need to add Sram discs and cassette - is the former difficult? ( I have changed cassettes before)

Anythng else I should consider?

Thanks for reading and look forward to the replies even if its only pointing me elsewhere.

Last edited:

Peter Salt

Bittersweet
I've been using 700c/33mm Continental Cross Kings on my CX bike and find them proper quick whenever I find a piece of tarmac. Off-road grip is brilliant so far - tested on muddy, cobbled, and muddy-cobbled climbs, hardpack, softpack, you name it - seem like great all-rounders. Would definitely recommend based on my experience.

Jameshow

Veteran
650b allow a wider tyre as chain/ seat stays get wider as they approach the hub.

Carbon is lighter but generally less robust than alloy.

Find the hub specs you require and work out from there

OP
OP
Chap sur le velo

Chap sur le velo

Über Member
650b allow a wider tyre as chain/ seat stays get wider as they approach the hub.

Carbon is lighter but generally less robust than alloy.

Find the hub specs you require and work out from there

Ribble specs say
"Ample clearance to fit 47mm tyres with 650b wheels and 45mm with 700c wheels (40mm with mudguards) ensures that the wheelset can be tailored to suit any given terrain/conditions or that a more rounded setup may be used to perform across a range of surfaces."

Currently fitted with Mudguards but I can take them off for the summer.
Would it look very odd to use the the current mudguards with 650b wheels and 45mm wide tyres?
Again thinking this through - I already have 700 wheels so getting 650b allows me more options in future years?
(I don't even know what the b stands for?)

The more I think about this I turn 65 this year and have no desire to 'test the limits' AKA 'fall off' . Just want to explore more areas so maybe 40 or 42mm 650's offer a good introduction?

Presumably the cassette on the 650 would be different ratio's to the 700? (Although that and the tyres can easily be changed).

Thanks for all replies. (Sooo many questions)

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I should forget about studs unless you're going to encounter mud. Something semi smooth should be fine.
The recommendation by @Peter Salt should be good if you want to get up a bit speed on the tarmac. Go up to 40c if you want more comfort but slower on the road.

wonderloaf

Veteran
How about Vel (Sigma Sports in house brand):
https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Vel/23-GRL-Alloy-Gravel-Disc-650b-Wheelset/TW53
At this price you could probably get the wheels, tyres, discs and cassette within your budget.

I ride gravel paths on 32mm smooth gatorskins.

I do have some 38mm knobbly tyres on another set of wheels but I only use those for muddy rides. They're overkill for gravel.

I'd not go tubeless either. That's better for really low pressures I believe.

I don't think you need another wheelset.

figbat

Slippery scientist
What tyres are currently on it? A gravel tyre should cover all your needs unless you really wanted a dedicated road tyre and a non-road tyre. You can pick up tyres with a largely smooth centre and some tread or knobbles on the edges. I run 43mm Rock'n'Road tyres over all terrain - roads, gravel, dry-pack and mud - whilst they are not aimed at mud use, they survived (as did I).

However if you need an excuse for a new wheelset I would probably go 650b and as large tyres as I could fit in the frame/fork. I would set them up tubeless. I'd probably avoid carbon on cost/benefit grounds - I'd rather have a wheel I can trust if the going gets rough and spend the extra on decent tyres.

Wooger

Don't go for 650Bs, there are many advantages to having all your wheels and tyres interchangeable, and unless you think 2mm of extra clearance is going to make any difference to your life, it's worse.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
MMM not sure. Carbon 650b seem to start from £350 on eBay. Bearing in mind I dont want to feel the need to upgrade later.

Say max of £450 for wheels tyres and discs and cassette?

The few mtb enduro racers I know tell me that Carbon rims are a lot stronger all round anything that breaks a carbon rim will fold an aluminium rim. Carbon are a LOT stiffer and not all riders like that as it transfers to the rider.
An ex Downhill pro my BIL knows won't run anything else other carbon now he as to pay for his own.

Now common sense says this is incorrect but I' go with those with knowledge over what I reckon.

Don't go for 650Bs, there are many advantages to having all your wheels and tyres interchangeable, and unless you think 2mm of extra clearance is going to make any difference to your life, it's worse.

Totally agree, really handy having a road orientated setup as well as one for the mucky stuff. About to swap over myself, to 700c Easton SL's with 28c GP5000's and start hitting the black stuff.

Top Bottom