Tank and military memorabilia collecting (don’t mention the war)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
Another one from the same place - think it ran on a bungee cord
WhatsApp Image 2021-08-05 at 16.25.52.jpeg

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Had a drive of a T34 once. How anyone spent any time in them locked down and under fire is beyond me. Driving at any speed is terrifying enough when your view is effectively through a letterbox.

As a (former) company car driver we use to get a newsletter from the leasing company with various safety advice. Amongst the usual platitudes on winter driving safety was this real gem about cleaning the ice off the windows properly "don't drive off like a tank commander".

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
Just discovered this on YouTube, the story behind this in Mark Felton's War Stories. I know some of you will be interested, it's a fascinating story.

View: https://youtu.be/1XIkZgCJZCs

Im a regular to Mark Felton's stories. What he digs up is quite amazing. I thought i knew a lot about the ins and outs of WW2, but then i do believe he is a professor and has travelled the world in study...

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Im a regular to Mark Felton's stories. What he digs up is quite amazing. I thought i knew a lot about the ins and outs of WW2, but then i do believe he is a professor and has travelled the world in study...
Yes, Mark Felton is excellent.
As to war memorabilia, I have a couple of (disarmed) hand grenades, which I believe are of middle eastern origin.

Milzy

Guru
Rommel had about 2 dozen of the 88mm guns which he used in direct fire anti tank mode. British troops claimed that this "wasnt fair"
The RAF and US bombers kept 10,930 of these guns pointing up rather than to the East which may have been their major contribution.
It was totally fair. Poor tactics by allied forces.

Milzy

Guru
A pensioner in Germany has been fined and had his collection of a WW2 tank, Flak 88mm AA gun, various weapons and uniforms confiscated and been ordered to pay a £200,000 fine for keeping them in the basement of his house. Sounds like a collectors dream.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-58077039

View attachment 602592
On that arms dealers program they spent 4 years making one perfect it was worth 1.4 million originally but it was been shipped to Australia where it was worth 14 million. Mental.

Top Bottom