Tank and military memorabilia collecting (don’t mention the war)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
You'll just have to content yourself with one of these for now:
View attachment 602654
That's the kiddie right there! I have that kit but have kept it unopened in a cupboard.
Motorbike_02.JPG

It doesn't take that long to build...

Milzy

Guru
View attachment 603195

It doesn't take that long to build...
Can you ride one of those on a normal car license?

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Saw this at an engine show a while ago. It's a Cossack Neval i.e a replica. I wouldn't mind owning it though.

View attachment 603433

View attachment 603434

View attachment 603435
It is a Ural, Cossack and Neval were trading names. The story goes that the Germans gave the Russians some R75's and they back engineered them. Many made in WW2. Did what they said on the box. They were rubbish early on. I had an 05 plate from new and pretty much lived on, out of it. Went everywhere. Stupidly sold it, regret to this day! You can still buy new but they are ruined with disc brakes and fuel injection.

Drago

Legendary Member
A chap I know who shall remain nameless recently sought my advice about his Luger.

Yes, Luger.

He's in his 80's and was in the Malayan Scouts, and then an officer in the Gurkhas.

Anyway, his concern that after so long the elderly ammunition might let him down if he encountered a "hobbledyhoy" in his house in the dark.

I had a fit of the vapours and marched him to a local cop shop to hand it in. He told them he'd finally got around to clearing out his dads old stuff and found it there.

He now keeps his khukuri next to the bed. He has it all planned, "...don't hurt me, I'm an old man!", and the moment their guard is down he intends to give them the good news. I almost feel sorry for any teenage sheetbag who might break in thinking him an easy touch, only to be faced with a guerrilla warfare, counter insurgency and jungle warefare expert.

A couple of teens snapped the aerial off his car a couple of years ago, and one ended up on his arriss with his nose smeared all over the place and the other with a dislocated shoulder. We all cheered when he heard the news on that one.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
It is a Ural, Cossack and Neval were trading names. The story goes that the Germans gave the Russians some R75's and they back engineered them. Many made in WW2. Did what they said on the box. They were rubbish early on. I had an 05 plate from new and pretty much lived on, out of it. Went everywhere. Stupidly sold it, regret to this day! You can still buy new but they are ruined with disc brakes and fuel injection.

Back in the 80s someone in the UK was importing them brand new, and supoosedly they rebuilt them before selling. It seems the Russian (albeit German derived) engineering was basically OK. it they were very shoddily assembled.

I seem to recall the you could even get a two-wheel-drive version where the sidecar wheel was driven as well as the bike rear wheel. These were only available in the "left hand drive" versions with the sidecar on the wrong side. The one in the picture seems to have a drive shaft to the sidecar. Quite appealing really

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
They are splendid machines indeed. Mine arrived in a giant crate and I enjoyed setting it up. Right hand sidecar is 1 or 2 wheel drive while leftie is 1 wheel only. That will climb trees though! On one occasion I had tubes connected to the exhausts and was up to my knees in mud and it just ploughed through it. Dumbest thing I ever did was sell it.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
They are splendid machines indeed. Mine arrived in a giant crate and I enjoyed setting it up. Right hand sidecar is 1 or 2 wheel drive while leftie is 1 wheel only. That will climb trees though! On one occasion I had tubes connected to the exhausts and was up to my knees in mud and it just ploughed through it. Dumbest thing I ever did was sell it.

I could be rather tempted, albeit need to await the long term plan and have off-street parking. That said there was a lovely Ariel square four with Watsonian Dan Dare style sidecar on fleabay the other day. Again not practical left on the street. The practicality point being more about working on the thing, perhaps for an extended period, than worrying about the bike coming to harm

Top Bottom