tax insurance & cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
What is it that people still don't understand about the fact that there is no such thing as road tax?
And yet the discussion goes on..............and on................

You're labouring a point that doesn't need to be made - no one contributing to this thread really thinks it's a "road tax", as the context should make clear, we're just using the colloquial term that everyone understands. Save it for facebook arguments with motorists who think they own the road.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Because showing them up as idiots is good fun

We had one st work who used to rant about the fact that paying "Road Tax" gave him more right than cyclists.... and they should get out of their way because of this contribution to the cost of maintaining the highway

Then I pointed out that I have a large people carrier to take the wheelchair, hoist etc

Because of this I paid MORE road tax than him, and by his argument that gave me more rights than him and he should be getting out of MY way

Apparently not....

A while back a fellow member of a car forum I am on, had a similar rant about cyclists. He even stupidly referred to road tax. Mysteriously rights over him by users who paid higher VED got dropped in his subsequent arguments. ^_^

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I obviously have a better class of facebook friend than some of you - the only mention of the petition on my timeline is accompanied by a comment taking the piss out of it.

Anyway, I had a look at the petition and... what can I say? It's risible.

OP
OP
Johnno260

Johnno260

Veteran
I know taxing cars is basically an emissions tax these days, all I was trying to say to the people having the discussion was if bicycles were taxable then there are other vehicles that deserve to be taxed more.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I know taxing cars is basically an emissions tax these days, all I was trying to say to the people having the discussion was if bicycles were taxable then there are other vehicles that deserve to be taxed more.

You could also point out that if bikes were to be made liable to VED, they would be zero-rated, like those electric cars. In practice, this would mean an awful lot of expensive admin for the government for zero tax revenue. Those clamouring for "road tax" for bikes might be less enthusiastic when they see what they're actually asking for.

As for insurance, that's a red herring - what we really need is a law of strict liability. Ram the idea into motorists' heads that they're loose on the streets with a lethal weapon and damn well make them accountable for it.

OP
OP
Johnno260

Johnno260

Veteran
That's odd, after all this talk today I have an email from BC asking me to activate my account!

I haven't created one.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I'm minded to start a petition to increase VED for all motor vehicles in light of the recent news about record temperatures being caused by CO2 emissions. And increase fuel duty while we're at it.

And apply a hypothecated tax to motor insurance to contribute towards covering the costs for all the people killed or injured by motor vehicles on our roads every year. Although given the number of uninsured drivers on the road (and they say cyclists are the problem!) maybe it would be better to roll insurance into fuel duty, as some have suggested.

Also make all motorways toll roads.

Basically, make motorists start paying the true cost of motoring.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
what we really need is a law of strict liability. Ram the idea into motorists' heads that they're loose on the streets with a lethal weapon and damn well make them accountable for it.

I'm not aware of any evidence that shows drivers change their behaviour because of this, although I am in favour of presumed liability for the benefits to victims after the collision has occurred.

Mr_Kipling

Über Member
If insuring a car was not compulsory in order to drive on UK roads, my guess is, most drivers would not have insurance!
Cyclists are not required to have insurance, my guess is that most of us on this forum do have insurance!

Oh and as for "Road Tax" it's almost too stupid of an argument to comment on, as
Owen McDermott has no clue what so ever.

Top Bottom