Taxi driver and git

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

domd1979

Veteran
Slightly off topic, but I wouldn't trust any Nationwide Autocentre to go anywhere near my motor. My brother used them to service his car last year, then had to go to another garage to have Nationwide Autocentre's "work" put right... One of the things they'd fecked up was brakes related.

TwickenhamCyclist said:
Just sent Nationwide Autocentre an email via their contact us form on their web page:

Hi

Having just watched a friend of mine nearly taken out by a dangerous driver

View: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Wx4GZIWbMtI
I was wondering if you were aware that by placing your advertising on the body of certain cab driver’s vehicles you are in danger of becoming associated with their anti-social driving habits – I’ll be thinking twice about using you’re services in the future now…

Origamist

Legendary Member
Cab said:
It is the opinion of Plod that they don't have sufficient there to prosecute unless he's got other complaints. I don't know why I bother.

So... They're off to talk to the guy, explain that if he does it again, this is on file, etc.

I dunno, perhaps Plod knocking on his door will be sufficient to put the wind up him.

I'll be having strong words with the local taxi licensing people, and with the company.

You've been partially fobbed off. They do not need "previous" - be it reports of bad driving or prior convictions for road traffic offences in order for them to pursue a charge of careless drivng.

I'd have asked why the driving shown in the footage did not warrant a prosecution. The RTA wording is loose enough:

the driving was without due care and attention or without reasonable consideration for other roads users

Next time, I'd veer more sharply - if you are imperilled it needs to be obvious enough even for a police officer to spot it.

I was just thinking today about traffic law (as you do!). Is traffic law one of the things that is UK wide and doesn't differ in Scotland compared to the rest of the UK. That was my understanding, but I could be wrong...:biggrin::smile:

Origamist

Legendary Member
User said:
I would suggest you might want to point plod to the offence of 'driving without due consideration for other road users' and provide them with a copy of the CPS Guidance on this offence, which is below (PM me your e-mail address if you want a Word version):

As you know, User - they are unlikely to have even heard of the offence!

Pip

Origamist said:
They're def not cyclist friendly and I dislike them with a passion.

My neighbour bought a 4x4 when they installed them in a number of our surrounding streets, simply so he could wizz over them. Great....

Cab was in a position to deter most stupid overtaking manoeuvres, but a car trumps a bike in these situations.

I'd complain to the taxi company.

They are however ambulance friendly, which is the reason they're now used. To be honest I'd say they're pretty cyclist friendly too - I'm always up for anything that means I don't have to bump my way over the full width ones!

And yes, the cab driver is not the best example of driving I've ever seen :biggrin:

domd1979

Veteran
They're also used because full width humps aren't very good for buses (passengers, drivers, and the bus itself).

Cushions can create difficulties though, usually where there's only two cushions used across the width of the road. It does mean that to avoid cycling over them you have to go into the gutter, or the middle of the road, neither of which is ideal. Where there are three cushions across the road its a bit better because you can achieve a fairly wide position without being on the white line in the middle of the road.

Pip said:
They are however ambulance friendly, which is the reason they're now used. To be honest I'd say they're pretty cyclist friendly too

domd1979 said:
They're also used because full width humps aren't very good for buses (passengers, drivers, and the bus itself).

Cushions can create difficulties though, usually where there's only two cushions used across the width of the road. It does mean that to avoid cycling over them you have to go into the gutter, or the middle of the road, neither of which is ideal. Where there are three cushions across the road its a bit better because you can achieve a fairly wide position without being on the white line in the middle of the road.

They are better, but you can still have problems....

View: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=gDCgv-cgATQ

Origamist

Legendary Member
Pip said:
They are however ambulance friendly, which is the reason they're now used. To be honest I'd say they're pretty cyclist friendly too - I'm always up for anything that means I don't have to bump my way over the full width ones!

And yes, the cab driver is not the best example of driving I've ever seen :biggrin:

The next time a driver veers into the opposite lane in order to minimise the effect of the pillows and comes close to skittling me, I will at least be comforted by the fact that the ambulance will not be unduly inconvenienced as it ferries me to hospital...

Road infrastructure and furniture is often a compromise - it's just a shame that more vulnerable road users (peds, cyclists, horseriders etc) are often those that bear the brunt.

domd1979

Veteran
Yep - good point. In that scenario I can't understand why he didn't just use the wrong side of the road!!

magnatom said:
They are better, but you can still have problems....

View: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=gDCgv-cgATQ

OP
OP
Cab

Cab

User... So, should I post that to the local chief constable, along with a disc showing what happened?

OP
OP
Cab

Cab

Followed this up... As yet no note on the incident that the taxi driver has been contacted, and the 'vehicle collision unit' have not had this referred to them. Waiting a call back from the PC in question.

OP
OP
Cab

Cab

And followed this up again by phone, discovering that there is no record of anything having been done. So followed that up with a pretty savagely worded letter of complaint, explanation of what law was broken (thanks for the advice on that one chaps), another copy of the camera footage, and an insistence that this be treated as an official complaint.

I'm afraid that the PCSOs who visited to take the information really let me down, its not being handled by a seargent at the local plod station.

So there you have it. Even if you persuade them that something happened, even with clear evidence on camera with criminal driving by someone easily identifiable, the police don't give a s**t. Road safety rules are not enforced; they might as well just make it official and tell us that if we want enforcement we have to do it ourselves.

Cab – you could also try writing to your local gov / police / MP and ask them, under the freedom of information act, for statistics of the following:
What their main priorities are in policing / tackling crime in your local area.
How many people were injured/killed as a result of knife crime / road traffic accidents / terrorism in your local area.
State your age and ask them what, statistically, is the biggest threat to your life in your area. – I’ll bet it comes from RTAs.

I tried to report a Road Traffic Incident in Richmond several years ago. I waved at a passing police car and told them what had happened and was told, in no uncertain terms by the driver, to “F**k of home or get nicked.”

After complaining to the “officer in charge” at the local nick on the phone when I got home I was told that Road Traffic incidents weren’t a high propriety – and that burglary and international terrorism were far higher on the police’s agenda – I did point out at the time that I felt my life was more in danger from piss poor driving than “acts of international terrorism” or burglars – but this seemed to fall on deaf ears – wish I’d taken it further at the time.

OP
OP
Cab

Cab

Something to hold in reserve, I think.

I'll let my friendly seargent who is following this up have till the end of the day before getting back in touch. I'm of the opinion that this lack of action could still be a simple cock up, and before turning on them I want to rule that out.

OP
OP
Cab

Cab

Taxi driver is going to get the talking to as promised. And I'm expecting this before the end of the week. Better late than never. Still, very late.

Top Bottom