Taxi driver and git

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Cab

Cab

And I've now talked to plod who came to take the details.

Apparently that video footage is neither sufficient evidence for a prosecution, nor is it in the public interest to do so. But he had a word with the driver.

What the **** are the Police force and the courts for?

I wonder why no one seems to respect the police anymore?

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Why am I not surprised Cab:angry:

If we've still got a connection between our spinal columns and our brains that allows us to complain without the assistance of a Steven Hawkings style keypad or through a medium, then plod are not interested - full stop. Remember, we accept being treated like this because we dare to cycle on the roads. What do we expect?

I saw the contrast after my crash - a job for the insurance boys was the extent of plod's involvement. About the month later I was the 'victim' of some low-level and pathetic antisocial behaviour. The complaint to plod was dealt with promptly, professionally and to my satisfaction.

I've come to the conclusion that the roads are a separate country with separate laws and socially acceptable behaviours. Can you think of anywhere else where you'd happily scream, shout and threaten assault on a daily basis and this to be considered 'normal'?

Extra extra - top story on BBC South Today news this morning showed massed plod stopping traffic in Southampton asking for witnesses to the death of a cyclist after a hit-and-run. As usual, he collided with the car. Tsk!

OP
OP
Cab

Cab

Well I never...

Just got off the phone to Cambridge City taxi licensing. They had him in there yesterday, talked to him, showed him the footage, he's been told by them too now, its on file that he's transgressed and may if he does this again end up being forced to sit a test, and he wishes to extend to me an apology.

Dare I say it... Result?

Dare I say further, in your face Cambridgeshire Constabulary, when the taxi licensing people saw the footage and when everyone else has seen it, they have without exception agreed that this really is a black and white example of someone demonstrably behaving unacceptably?

Origamist

Legendary Member
Bollo said:
I've come to the conclusion that the roads are a separate country with separate laws and socially acceptable behaviours.

The roads are a liminal zone that have a transmorgrifying effect on social behaviour. If people acted the same in the office as they do in traffic, there would be coffee and blood spilt hourly.

Bollo said:
Can you think of anywhere else where you'd happily scream, shout and threaten assault on a daily basis and this to be considered 'normal'?

Glasgow?

Origamist said:

Only on the roads though. Everywhere else is quite pleasant!

Actually the roads here have been very pleasant recently, except for the taxi driver this morning who undercut me on a roundabout. A video may follow....;)

Yes well done cab!;)

Maybe you should ask for a face to face meeting where he has to fall prostrate in front of you wailing for his forgiveness....

Maybe that is taking it a little far...:biggrin:

OP
OP
Cab

Cab

magnatom said:
Yes well done cab!;)

Maybe you should ask for a face to face meeting where he has to fall prostrate in front of you wailing for his forgiveness....

Maybe that is taking it a little far...:smile:

Going a little far there :biggrin:

Right, now I suppose I await the NEXT one, the NEXT time some complete cock tries to take me out on the road, and the NEXT time that the Police don't care.

Educating the roads b******s one at a time...

Cab said:
Going a little far there ;)

Right, now I suppose I await the NEXT one, the NEXT time some complete cock tries to take me out on the road, and the NEXT time that the Police don't care.

I really do think cyclists need to band together to campaign to the police for better protection on the roads. I also think it would be a good idea to get a number of interested helmet camera cyclist together, along with police and local authority representatives together to work out a code of conduct for helmet camera users, i.e. to fully clarify what we can and cannot do with our footage, what we should and shouldn't expect from the police/local authorities etc.

If I had the time I'd start a website along the lines of organising this. That's the problem, time. I'm off from tomorrow for just over two weeks, maybe I'll think about it then, however, I tend to be busier when I'm off!

Origamist

Legendary Member
Cab said:
Going a little far there ;)

Good result.

I don't have the time or inclination to report every dangerous incident I am involved in (I have reported drivers with homicidal tendencies 3 times in the last 8 years) as I would be in and out of the cop shop every month or so. If I had a camera, I might be inclined to complain more though. I still can't bring myself to ride with one though.

Origamist said:
Good result.

I don't have the time or inclination to report every dangerous incident I am involved in (I have reported drivers with homicidal tendencies 3 times in the last 8 years) as I would be in and out of the cop shop every month or so. If I had a camera, I might be inclined to complain more though. I still can't bring myself to ride with one though.

Out of interest, why not?

Origamist

Legendary Member
magnatom said:
Out of interest, why not?

It's hard for me to explain. I guess it's because I want to advocate cycling as a normal, everyday, utilitarian mode of transport that anyone can take up. Strapping a camera to my person when I ride goes against that principle - at least in my mind.

I stopped wearing my glass mounted mirror for the same reason - people would shout "Borg" or "dentist" at me...

Origamist said:
It's hard for me to explain. I guess it's because I want to advocate cycling as a normal, everyday, utilitarian mode of transport that anyone can take up. Strapping a camera to my person when I ride goes against that principle - at least in my mind.

I stopped wearing my glass mounted mirror for the same reason - people would shout "Borg" or "dentist" at me...

Your absolutely right, it should be and is a normal activity. However, driving is seen as a normal activity, and I have heard of some drivers using cameras in the car in the same way that I do. I think it will catch on, and it may be the case in the future that having a camera on a car is normal (recording accidents for insurance purposes for instance).

I suppose I see wearing the camera as protective and and educational tool. The vast majority of people who pass me, don't notice it (I look normal), but when I have an incident, it is there to record it. Also when I point it out, it tends to calm the situation. So it is relatively rare that the camera is noticed at all (unless you have an atc2000!)

In some ways I have found the footage actually normalises cycling in peoples minds, i.e they come to realise what it is really like, the good and the bad. I know that a few more people go through the Clyde tunnel on bike now, now that I have shown that it isn't as scary as people fear! I've helped to normalise the Clyde Tunnel! ;)

Top Bottom