Taxi driver tips

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Greedo

Got a taxi back from a meeting yesterday. It was exactly a fiver on the meter when it got to the office.

I gave the driver a tenner, he then said to me "how much do you want me to give you back?"

I replied "Five pounds!"

Cheeky git! would have normally given him a tip, but not after that!

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Cracker (Robbie Coltrane as) exiting a cab: 'I expect you'll be wanting a tip? Don't leave your geraniums out through the winter.'

Willow

Perhaps he was proposing a discount!

I'm stingy with tips unless people have really done a job over and above the call of duty.

I was in McDonald's in the States 15 years ago and after buying my 'food' gave the bloke $10 for a $3 dollar meal. He asked me how much change I wanted. I said, bloody hell, ALL of it, and he asked me why I wasn't going to tip him. FFS!

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
What really pisses me off is when I find myself in one of those poncy 'pubs' that has pretensions to being a 'bar' and I get whatever crappy overpriced beer they've deigned to provide and they take my note and pointedly return my change on a little silver dish. W*****s.

Maz

Guru
I once took a black cab from the railway station to my home. The cabbie didn't realise he hadn't set the meter running until we were about 50 yards from my house. He cursed then said "I think that's about £8".

I paid, but was I obliged to?

cchapman

Greedo said:
Got a taxi back from a meeting yesterday. It was exactly a fiver on the meter when it got to the office.

I gave the driver a tenner, he then said to me "how much do you want me to give you back?"

I replied "Five pounds!"

Cheeky git! would have normally given him a tip, but not after that!

Still trying to get my head around this. You were going to give him a tip, but then he asked how much of a tip could he expect, so you thought "Don't get uppity with me, my good man" and gave him nothing. Obviously pleased you since you got out of something you somehow thought you should do. Probably made no difference to him since he sees hundreds of people a week, of all types.
It's different in Australia. The fare may be $21, you only have $50, the taxi driver will give you $30 change. And he'll be an Eritrean driver, not an importuning pom.

Mr Pig

Taxi drivers aren't that poorly paid. I don't think they should get a tip at all. And it's not as if they even knock themselves out to be helpful and cheerful.

I find the taxi drivers tend to be the ones giving the tips. I remember sitting in a private cab and getting onto the subject of cyclists. He then started moaning about them a bit, and I pointed out that I didn't RLJ pavement cycle etc. He then said

Driver: Oh no, they don't bother me that much, it's the bl**dy cyclists that cycle in the middle of the road....

As you can imagine the type of tips I gave the taxi driver after this were not of the monetary variety! :angry:

I also had a taxi driver once say, and he meant it: I don't think I own the road, I know I own it.xx(

Niall Estick

They expect a tip for what? Delivering you to your destination without killing you? That would be the least I would expect - so what am I tipping for? Delightful discourse? Banging Banghra music? The stench of sweat and stale fags?

sheva

slightly off topic, but i hate it when you go to the loo in some trendy bar and there`s a bloke in there offering you soap/towels/aftershave and expecting to be paid for it.I expect to be able to wash my hands when I`ve had a s**t and not pay for it.

Or..... Don't pay!

After a night out I got a TAxi from Portsmouth to the Ferry..... in the first 200 yards he cut up a cyclist, jumed a red light and answered his mobile phone!

We asked hom to pull over, got out and told him we were appalled by his driving.... He than asked us for the fare, so we refused.

He then threatened to call the Police , an option which we agreed with.. he then drove off witha torrent of expletives.

Even more appaling though - the Licensing Office "couldn't take any action" over the driving as it s covered by other regulations and not their responsibility!!!!

I got a taxi back to work this evening from an exhibition. I was loaded with stuff and the driver was decent, helpful and one of the best. The fare was £10.20 and I gave him £15 - worth every penny for being obliging and making my work pleasant.
No surliness- just a smile. 10/10! I usually tip...

yenrod

My experiences with TD's.

OK, and if I get genuine conversation out of then i may tip but i'm soo tight a duck is looser than me ! :wacko:

I've found if you talk to a black cab driver (hackney type) they think this blokes a jerk and i can charge him all kinds by going the long way etc...

Thats one of big pethates, of mine, with TDs who: go the long way.

I was in 1 this morn. (a private - normal car) and he made a bit of convo. even though id just got up virtually and wasn't in the best of moods (not much of a talker in the morn. anyhow) and then he rang his mate on his mobile (bluetooth handfree) and started talking about servicing his car with his mechanic.

Mostly I dont tip - if its on the meter: why pay more!.

Top Bottom