"Taxi ran down cyclist on purpose"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Four months jail, 18 months disqualification. For INTENTIONALLY driving a car at someone else.

Defence lawyer Graham Walker said Palmer had since lost his taxi licence and the effects of the case coming to court had been "catastrophic" for his client.

What is wrong with these bloody people? In what bizarre parallell universe does someone expect to drive a car at another person and NOT lose their taxi license and get taken to court?

Jake

Good conclusion

"Defence lawyer Graham Walker said Palmer had since lost his taxi licence and the effects of the case coming to court had been "catastrophic" for his client."

and so what if he had given him the finger, does that warrent running someone over? Nice resuly and good to hear.

Mr Phoebus

He said: "I put the window down to shout at him to stop, but he just kept on going. He went to take another swipe at the taxi and I braked and he hit thin air and tumbled off his bike."

:biggrin:

Stupid lying Bastard, albeit, a funny fick one.

Defence lawyer Graham Walker said Palmer had since lost his taxi licence and the effects of the case coming to court had been "catastrophic" for his client.
I'd love to see that defence applied in a murder trial .. "yeah, I did do it and all that but please be kind to me, I've lost me job and it's been a disaster having to come to court and everyfink".

jmaccyd

John the Monkey said:
Four months jail, 18 months disqualification. For INTENTIONALLY driving a car at someone else.

What is wrong with these bloody people? In what bizarre parallell universe does someone expect to drive a car at another person and NOT lose their taxi license and get taken to court?

I don't think any of us should under estimate four months of jail time. He has lost his license, will not drive a Taxi again, and will spend four months inside which at his age will be no tea party (er...strip search anyone!) A longer driving ban would have been appropriate but in the current sentancing climate, that would seem a fair result.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
John the Monkey said:

To be fair, I don't think anything he said amounted to 'my client should not have been taken to court, or lose his license'. Sounds to me like just yer standard plea for mitigation/mercy, which is after all part of the defense brief's job.

Seems like a pretty fair result to me. I doubt he'll much enjoy his time inside, he won't have a sitting-down job to come out to, and any driver who notices the news will surely - even the thick ones - get the message: that you can't drive your vehicle at cyclists with impunity.

Jake

attmtped murder really? well, in he tried to hit him off his bike which may or may not have killed the cyclist. Although it being scotland, the driver may have collapsed and died - (see other thread)

LLB

magnatom said:

Result :biggrin:

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
[quote name='swee'pea99']To be fair, I don't think anything he said amounted to 'my client should not have been taken to court, or lose his license'. Sounds to me like just yer standard plea for mitigation/mercy, which is after all part of the defense brief's job.[/quote]

I think it's symptomatic of a society that is more forgiving of behaviour at the wheel than it is of similar behaviours elsewhere, swee'pea.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
4 months hardly sends out a very strong message - and only disqualified from driving for 18 months? Ludicrous. It's almost as pointlessly offensive to cyclists as the 'opinions' of a certain poster on this thread, who has now become the second person on my ignore list.

jmaccyd

Catrike UK said:
A bad one, he got four months when he should have got 5 years.

Really? When people who kill behind the wheel, even when drunk or unlicensed, don't get that sentance. When we have a prison system letting out REALLY nasty career criminals who are a threat to us all? This man deserves his taste of life inside, and should have got a much longer ban from behind the wheel, but lets save hang-drawing-and-quatering for those who really do deserve it. Four months inside for a generally law abiding guy of that age is going to be a rude awakening for him.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
+1.

Also, let's not forget it's not just about punishment - there's also the question of deterrence. And I suspect that the mere fact of imprisonment, regardless of the time, would help focus the minds of all drivers on the inadvisability of using your vehicle to bully cyclists.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
swee said:
fact[/I] of imprisonment, regardless of the time, would help focus the minds of all drivers on the inadvisability of using your vehicle to bully cyclists.

Trying to run someone over is more than bullying. In my mind, it is the driving ban that is of more importance than the prison sentence anyway. 18 months is really very little for this. If you want to deter this kind of potentially fatal misuse of a vehicle, then a lifetime ban would be a more serious one. Who knows, the guy might even be forced onto a bike, now wouldn't that be justice?

Top Bottom