TDY.... do we have cyclists of that standard on CC?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Looking at those guys on TV, they are on a different planet to me.
Even on the "retired" section we have members that regularly do serious mileage (even over winter).
But do we have members that compete at high level ??

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Blazed.

Close thread

13 rider

Guru
During the the tour of British we cycled out to watch the race so could ride the same roads . We watched at a Kom section which I had a full on effort at got to the top nearly being sick at 18 mph and had to get off the bike . Alex Dowsett ( team Katusha ) went up it at 28 mph :surrender: and still had 125 miles to go . He did the 141 miles including the neutral start at 26.2 mph and didn't win took 63 Strava Kom the pros are in a different league if anyone could match them they would be pros as as well

Last edited:
But seriously, I’ve personally ridden with Chris Froome, Sarah Storey, Danni King (Rowe), and Mark Beaumont, and they have a very unusual way about them. That’s what makes the difference. They are all very focused, and determined. They also have it drummed into them from an early age, and they are training seriously from the age of nine or ten, so that takes some doing, as ( let’s face it ) who will be training at the velodrome before and after school, doing school stuff, and living the ‘normal’ life’. Only the ones who go on to make it as a pro, and they won’t be living the ‘normal life’ either. That’s dedication, that’s what it takes.

CXRAndy

Guru
There is a special physiology to the elite pro cyclists. Professional coaches can analyse any cyclist and determine from certain performance markers whether they have got the basics in place go on to be the best in the sport. Alot of us could train from a young age but never get there due to limited physical markers

Domus

Guru
I watched the grand depart in Halifax last year, they left the Piece Hall, turned left up hill within a few seconds of the start, it was neutral not racing, behind the course car. I was standing on the kerb and it felt like an express train going through a station. The riders were just a blur. Different breed. :wacko:

ozboz

Guru
Incredible to witness, every year the London Ride pro’s Ride through where I live, standing at barriers that shut off Lower Richmond Road you see them appear as a peloton sweeping down from Chiswick Bridge then turn left at Chaulkers Corner and disappear over the railway bridge , mere seconds to do it , and they are all chatting away to each other !

Dave 123

Legendary Member
During the the tour of British we cycled out to watch the race so could ride the same roads . We watched at a Kom section which I had a full on effort at got to the top nearly being sick at 18 mph and had to get off the bike . Alex Dowsett ( team Katusha ) went up it at 28 mph :surrender: and still had 125 miles to go . He did the 141 miles including the neutral start at 26.2 mph and didn't win took 63 Strava Kom the pros are in a different league if anyone could match them they would be pros as as well

Yeah, but I did it on a tandem......

iandg

Legendary Member
I won a national championship, gained 3 other national medals, was on the national pursuit squad and wore a GB jersey twice. But they were all in time trials or on the track, i wasn't a great road racer and didn't get near that standard. I didn't have that extra (mentally) to go the next step and 'retired' from competitive cycling in the early 80s when I was 23.

Edit - The Brits were not as good on the 'world stage' in the 80s as they are now.

Last edited:
Top Bottom