Tea? (Part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HelenD123

Legendary Member
Arch said:
Is that frazzled as in the bacony puffed maize snack?

<passes tea over>

I think my colleagues would notice if I turned into a pink and white striped snack! Maybe they would get the hint and make me some tea though.

HelenD123

Legendary Member
Right, I'm off to the cinema. I think it's exactly what I need to wind down after today.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I think he was asking for a boiled egg...

Would a lightly boiled hen be nice? :smile:

Arch

Married to Night Train
wafflycat said:
My hens are not for boiling!

Question: I know you're not allowed to kill them to eat, having adopted them, and quite right too, but could you eat one if it died of old age? Granted, that might require a very long stewing.

I'm just about to out the kettle on, if anyone needs a refresher.

wafflycat

Arch said:
Question: I know you're not allowed to kill them to eat, having adopted them, and quite right too, but could you eat one if it died of old age? Granted, that might require a very long stewing.

I'm just about to out the kettle on, if anyone needs a refresher.

Technically that's what happens to them in a battery situation. Considering that the hens raised for meat are typically a matter of a few *weeks* old (39 days is typical age at slaughter), battery hens are already considered old when they are normally disposed of as 'spent hens' at age approx 18 months. Normally their meat goes into stock cubes, pet food, low-grade meat products. I'm not sure I'd want to eat a hen if I was not certain fo what it had died from. Apparently it's illegal to bury them you have to put them in the refuse bin. I kid you not.

*hands Arch tea mug for refilling please*

Oh and my new microwave is the business :tongue: When MrWC & I first got together back in the dim recesses of the dawn of time, we had what was for the time, an unusual microwave as it was also a convection oven in which you could use both microwave and convection heat at the same time. It was great to cook a whole chicken & roast potatoes in under an hour to golden, juicy, crisp-skinned perfection. Anyhow, since it gave up the ghost we've had other brands/types byt none were as good as the first one. Well, the new equivalent to the original one we had arrived yesterday. Same make, new model. Dual cooked in it last night. Glorious. In terms of new cooking item, I am a happy bunny.

Arch

Married to Night Train
wafflycat said:
In terms of new cooking item, I am a happy bunny.

However, the stewed rabbit you had is less so....:tongue:

Sounds the business. I haven't got a microwave, no room really, and the only time I'd use it would probably be defrosting stuff, or maybe jacket potatoes. I've used a combi one though.

For some reason last night, I started to crave a roast chicken, I may splash out at the weekend - it'll have to be a little one, so that I can get though it all. Oh, on the other hand, I could freeze the cooked meat, couldn't I, in portions for curry etc? I can justify the outlay if it gives me enough meat portions to work out at 50p a meal. And I could make stock. Alas, only having an icebox, my freezing space is limited.

Hmmm. I'm going to do that.

wafflycat

For some considerable time after MrWC & I first got together, I didn't have a 'proper' cooker, I had the combi-microwave and a separate hob. Took up less space than a 'normal' cooker and I could still produce family-sized meals. About the only thing I couldn't do was cook a whole turkey, as the combi wasn't quite big enough.

wafflycat

Arch said:
However, the stewed rabbit you had is less so....:tongue:

Sounds the business. I haven't got a microwave, no room really, and the only time I'd use it would probably be defrosting stuff, or maybe jacket potatoes. I've used a combi one though.

For some reason last night, I started to crave a roast chicken, I may splash out at the weekend - it'll have to be a little one, so that I can get though it all. Oh, on the other hand, I could freeze the cooked meat, couldn't I, in portions for curry etc? I can justify the outlay if it gives me enough meat portions to work out at 50p a meal. And I could make stock. Alas, only having an icebox, my freezing space is limited.

Hmmm. I'm going to do that.

Get chicken. Roast. After having meat for your first meal, then pick rest of meat off carcass and freeze in to portions for later use. Pop carcass in pan with water, carrots, onion, celery. Boil to make stock. Use stock to make soup for next day's meal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom