Tea? (Part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
wafflycat said:
Get chicken. Roast. After having meat for your first meal, then pick rest of meat off carcass and freeze in to portions for later use. Pop carcass in pan with water, carrots, onion, celery. Boil to make stock. Use stock to make soup for next day's meal.

Thank you. I should point out, I'm not a domestic dunce, I know how, I'm just not bothered very often! Somethings just seem too much effort for one.

Actually, in our house we always unpicked the chicken while hot and have the breast meat sliced cold in our roast dinner - easier to slice, and easier to strip the meat off while hot. Mind you, a fair bit disappears inside whoever is doing the stripping...:biggrin:

wafflycat

Didn't mean to imply you are a domestic dunce. If my writing could be interpreted that way, I apologise unreservedly.

Arch

Married to Night Train
wafflycat said:
Didn't mean to imply you are a domestic dunce. If my writing could be interpreted that way, I apologise unreservedly.

No, I'm sorry, it was just for a moment, I felt like when my Mum tells me how to make a sandwich....

Tea anyone?

Arch

Married to Night Train
<pours tea>

I'm getting quite excited about the prospect of my weekend roast now. I shall do potatoes, and 2 or three sorts of veg, and gravy and *everything*.

HelenD123

Legendary Member
Can either of you good cooks suggest something to do with runner beans? I've had some arrive in my veg box and have never liked them since I was forced to eat them as a child. My grandad grew tons of them but they were always tough with sharp stringy bitsxx(.

wafflycat

HelenD123 said:
Can either of you good cooks suggest something to do with runner beans? I've had some arrive in my veg box and have never liked them since I was forced to eat them as a child. My grandad grew tons of them but they were always tough with sharp stringy bitsxx(.

heh.. I've got enough runner bean 'seeds' for next year from this year's crop to feed the entire village next year.

Runner beans need to have the strings removed before cooking. Then they require only light cooking. Always found a bean slicer such as this one

http://www.verynice2.com/judge-bean-slicer-tc100.php

gets the beans to the thickness (thinness) required for decent eating.

HelenD123

Legendary Member
wafflycat said:
heh.. I've got enough runner bean 'seeds' for next year from this year's crop to feed the entire village next year.

Runner beans need to have the strings removed before cooking. Then they require only light cooking. Always found a bean slicer such as this one

http://www.verynice2.com/judge-bean-slicer-tc100.php

gets the beans to the thickness (thinness) required for decent eating.

Thanks. I guess I could hide them in a stir fry once sliced. I'll have to see whether I can find one of those gadgets in York on Saturday.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
HelenD123 said:

I like a good green bean and potato curry, although it is rather too oily, so the recipe needs tweaking.

Also good in a paella, vegetable or otherwise.

The trick with runners is to follow these two rules:
Slice them with a knife, not with a machine. If there is any trouble in slicing the beans, then reject the whole bean. Better safe than sorry.

If the beans inside the green bit have turned pink rather than grey, then reject the whole bean, but keep the pink bits inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom