Tea?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Blue

Legendary Member
I did our weekly shop this evening in the last hour before closing. Either the panic buying hasn't started here yet or they had restocked the shelves for tomorrow. Either way, an easy shop without having to dodge other shoppers - what's not to like!

Purchasers survey being done here in the morning - another step towards completion.🤞

Good night folks.:hello:

classic33

Leg End Member
I did our weekly shop this evening in the last hour before closing. Either the panic buying hasn't started here yet or they had restocked the shelves for tomorrow. Either way, an easy shop without having to dodge other shoppers - what's not to like!

Purchasers survey being done here in the morning - another step towards completion.🤞

Good night folks.:hello:
Wonder if there'll be folk moaning about shelves being empty if they do start round two.

Best o'luck on the survey.

And Sithi

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
Morning all:hello:
another brisk start to the day..
down as low as 4c overnight..
Seen the start of the second round of the "bog roll buying bash" down here. Police are going round the business premises checking. As are the self important council officials, with new powers.

Marmite peanut butter perchance?
I knew many self-important council officials...
nepotism, membership of the right organisation or team supported...
sadly 99% halfwits :laugh:

anyway, I digress..
think the bike might be involved today, maybe:laugh:

and, yes.. THE peanut butter to buy

classic33

Leg End Member
Morning all:hello:
another brisk start to the day..
down as low as 4c overnight..

I knew many self-important council officials...
nepotism, membership of the right organisation or team supported...
sadly 99% halfwits :laugh:

anyway, I digress..
think the bike might be involved today, maybe:laugh:

and, yes.. THE peanut butter to buy
Mo reckons it was more "When will I see you again".

I know quite a few as well. They're just as you describe. Come with their own inflators.

You'll have to buy the peanut butter, they won't let you just walk out with it. Or is that where the bike will be involved?
Keep an eye on the news for any reward offered maybe.

Morning??
Have A Great Day.jpg

Blue

Legendary Member
Dry but a wind chill here today - it's blowing a hoolie. Cold and wind I can take; it's rain that I dislike(Don't give me any of that 'romantic walks in the rain' rot!).

Well, purchasers survey done so hopefully all's well.

A bigger day will be when I get the more detailed report on the property I hope to buy as I know I will have to upgrade a bit and just hope that the report doesn't highlight something I haven't thought of my self.🤞

Oh, good morning all.:hello:

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Dry but a wind chill here today - it's blowing a hoolie. Cold and wind I can take; it's rain that I dislike(Don't give me any of that 'romantic walks in the rain' rot!).

A bigger day will be when I get the more detailed report on the property I hope to buy as I know I will have to upgrade a bit and just hope that the report doesn't highlight something I haven't thought of my self.🤞

All the best with it Blue. Hope you get it and nothing unexpected turns up in the survey.

classic33

Leg End Member

We could have snow, you know.

You mean like nothing sagging, or drooping?
Hope there's not much you'll have to do, once you get it. And the move goes as you planned, or better.

Afternoon...

Blue

Legendary Member
All the best with it Blue. Hope you get it and nothing unexpected turns up in the survey.
Thanks Mo. After a few months with little going on other than a lot of :banghead: things are starting to happen at a rapid pace. We are super excited, with a bit of :hyper::hyper: being mixed with a bit of :wahhey::wahhey:. I just hope that we don't fall down with an almighty thud. My surveyor made contact a couple of hours ago and he's going in to the property on Monday so it won't be too long to wait. I'll be more settled when we get to the point where the solicitors are just doing their routine checks as I'll feel more like that I'm in the home straight at that stage.

Blue

Legendary Member
A slightly funny tale from the world of dementia that's related to our house move.

When we went to 'sale agreed' on both properties last week I decided to get a bottle of bubbly and was opening it at a window to let the cork fly. The cork was very tight so I asked Mrs B to stand beside me with the glasses so that the bubbly wouldn't spill. When dementia is as advanced as Mrs B's unexpected sounds or events can startle the person. I thought Mrs B would be OK with the cork popping as she knew what was happening. Anyway, the cork popped at which Mrs B screamed and ran for the door with the empty glasses in hand. I just managed to avoid a spillage but I thought the whole thing was a laugh as she hoofed it across the room. I wonder if the same thing will happen when we get to completion!

classic33

Leg End Member
Thanks Mo. After a few months with little going on other than a lot of :banghead: things are starting to happen at a rapid pace. We are super excited, with a bit of :hyper::hyper: being mixed with a bit of :wahhey::wahhey:. I just hope that we don't fall down with an almighty thud. My surveyor made contact a couple of hours ago and he's going in to the property on Monday so it won't be too long to wait. I'll be more settled when we get to the point where the solicitors are just doing their routine checks as I'll feel more like that I'm in the home straight at that stage.
No head scratching?

"Going in to the property" makes it sound as though it's vacant already, and a bit like "I'm going to step of the LEM now".

You'll have checked every possible location within your present house for anything and everything. No winning lottery tickets tucked away for safety!!

Blue

Legendary Member
No head scratching?

"Going in to the property" makes it sound as though it's vacant already, and a bit like "I'm going to step of the LEM now".

You'll have checked every possible location within your present house for anything and everything. No winning lottery tickets tucked away for safety!!
Just my turn of phrase there - the property is occupied. The house is very clean and tidy but just hasn’t been updated for 20+ years so a new bathroom is required and if the kitchen can be altered to accommodate modern appliances well and good but it may need to be completely redone - which would be a pity as it’s in great order for it’s age. The heating boiler looks like it’s on it’s last legs so that will likely need to be replaced. I’m waiting for the surveyors comments about the wiring and I hope it will just require new socket covers and extra sockets, rather than a rewire. Beyond that it’s just redecorating inside and out, new carpets and additions to our furniture. Oh, the garage door has seen better days so that needs attention or replacement and a couple of sockets in the garage wouldn’t go amiss. I would like to think everything can be done quite quickly.

Funny you should mention lotto tickets. When we were going away for the winter I always brought the rent in cash with me and, as you know, those vacations came to an abrupt end because of Mrs B’s dementia. I always bought the rent money in lump sums when the exchange rate was good. When I started clearing drawers I found my stash(funny what can be forgotten when firefighting dementia). That was a nice little windfall - even though it felt a bit like the shattering of our dreams as I cashed it in. Instead of feeling lucky I felt very sad as I walked out of the bank.

My worry is that there may be something sagging or drooping as you put it. I couldn’t see any major issue but then I’m not an expert so I’m hoping a couple of internal cracks that the owner said we’re just settlement are just that. I couldn’t see even a settlement crack on the outside so I don’t think there is a problem but will be happier if the surveyor confirms that. Keep your fingers crossed for us.:okay:

classic33

Leg End Member
Just my turn of phrase there - the property is occupied. The house is very clean and tidy but just hasn’t been updated for 20+ years so a new bathroom is required and if the kitchen can be altered to accommodate modern appliances well and good but it may need to be completely redone - which would be a pity as it’s in great order for it’s age. The heating boiler looks like it’s on it’s last legs so that will likely need to be replaced. I’m waiting for the surveyors comments about the wiring and I hope it will just require new socket covers and extra sockets, rather than a rewire. Beyond that it’s just redecorating inside and out, new carpets and additions to our furniture. Oh, the garage door has seen better days so that needs attention or replacement and a couple of sockets in the garage wouldn’t go amiss. I would like to think everything can be done quite quickly.

Funny you should mention lotto tickets. When we were going away for the winter I always brought the rent in cash with me and, as you know, those vacations came to an abrupt end because of Mrs B’s dementia. I always bought the rent money in lump sums when the exchange rate was good. When I started clearing drawers I found my stash(funny what can be forgotten when firefighting dementia). That was a nice little windfall - even though it felt a bit like the shattering of our dreams as I cashed it in. Instead of feeling lucky I felt very sad as I walked out of the bank.

My worry is that there may be something sagging or drooping as you put it. I couldn’t see any major issue but then I’m not an expert so I’m hoping a couple of internal cracks that the owner said we’re just settlement are just that. I couldn’t see even a settlement crack on the outside so I don’t think there is a problem but will be happier if the surveyor confirms that. Keep your fingers crossed for us.:okay:

I'd have kept some of the rent money. You might have had day trips South of o'Border.

The sockets are square three pin ones, not round two pin, earth on the side, ones?

Blue

Legendary Member
I'd have kept some of the rent money. You might have had day trips South of o'Border.

The sockets are square three pin ones, not round two pin, earth on the side, ones?
It will be easy enough to get a small amount from an ATM if required - plus I had a fair amount in coin that I kept. Doubt we'll be leaving NI too often any time soon. Dementia is a bitch.

The plugs are square 3 pin.

Other thing is the heating which is oil fired. A lot of folk here are converting to gas but I'm not sure that's any 'greener' or cheaper than oil at the moment A new and efficient oil boiler may be a reasonable way to go and would save a fair bit. I'll have to give that one some thought.

classic33

Leg End Member
It will be easy enough to get a small amount from an ATM if required - plus I had a fair amount in coin that I kept. Doubt we'll be leaving NI too often any time soon. Dementia is a bitch.

The plugs are square 3 pin.

Other thing is the heating which is oil fired. A lot of folk here are converting to gas but I'm not sure that's any 'greener' or cheaper than oil at the moment A new and efficient oil boiler may be a reasonable way to go and would save a fair bit. I'll have to give that one some thought.
You can get foreign currency at a hole in the wall??
Can't do that here.

Three pin(square), not that old then. Fewer worries there.

Relatives down south went with oil over gas, but they'd have had to get the pipe out to the house first. Which pushed the cost up. The bottled gas is expensive.

Not much difference between the two down there either, price wise

Blue

Legendary Member
You can get foreign currency at a hole in the wall??
Can't do that here.

Three pin(square), not that old then. Fewer worries there.

Relatives down south went with oil over gas, but they'd have had to get the pipe out to the house first. Which pushed the cost up. The bottled gas is expensive.

Not much difference between the two down there either, price wise
Can't get Euro from all ATM's but some are provided and the local branch of my bank has one(or had one the last time I wanted Euro) - no extra charges, just taken from the a/c at the exchange rate at time of withdrawal. Maybe brexit will change that, I don't know.

Top Bottom