Tea?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Can't get Euro from all ATM's but some are provided and the local branch of my bank has one(or had one the last time I wanted Euro) - no extra charges, just taken from the a/c at the exchange rate at time of withdrawal. Maybe brexit will change that, I don't know.
Can't do that here. Bureau de Change or bank. Swap with relatives when over or use the pound as euro in some shops. Small, local ones that haven't tried taking the mickey over one being worth more than the other. Or charged extra for using something worth more.

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
Morning:hello:
another brisk one in the land of the Jocks..
Low of 4c 7am:ohmy:..

Settlement?
we've a few hairline here:wacko:

classic33

Leg End Member
Morning :hello:
another brisk one in the land of the Jocks..
Low of 4c 7am:ohmy:..

Settlement?
we've a few hairline here:wacko:
Owdo
The day, or have you done something up there.

Wouldn't yours* be from it drying out?

Morning??
1080.jpg

*I've assumed you're talking about a building and not a person for this.

Blue

Legendary Member
'Morning all :hello:

Ah, the case of the settlement cracks. I'm used to the hairline cracks from the drying process of a new build and even some slightly wider cracks that I've come across in past buildings and simply scrim taped and covered with great success so I'm hopeful that this is the case here. I do think that the current resident should know as she moved in with her elderly mother(now deceased) 20 years ago and hasn't done anything other than clean the place while she sat and looked at it in that 20 years. I noted cracks in only 2 rooms at opposite ends of an 8 room house so it's not that it looks like a complete section is moving. I think I'm overthinking the issue and being overly cautious because of my heightened stress these days. Anyway, we'll soon find out:ph34r:.

The kitchen is a quandary. When I looked at it on line it looked like a definite replacement job but I was gobsmacked when we viewed it as, despite it's age, it looked like it had been installed that day. It would be a terrible waste, and a crying shame, to just rip it out. However, it isn't configured to take our modern appliances. I'll get the guy that installed our kitchen to have a look and see if it's possible to just alter the layout and put a new worktop down as that would save a lot. The design would then be more 'retro' than our existing kitchen but it is very nice and very obvious quality.

classic33

Leg End Member
'Morning all :hello:

Ah, the case of the settlement cracks. I'm used to the hairline cracks from the drying process of a new build and even some slightly wider cracks that I've come across in past buildings and simply scrim taped and covered with great success so I'm hopeful that this is the case here. I do think that the current resident should know as she moved in with her elderly mother(now deceased) 20 years ago and hasn't done anything other than clean the place while she sat and looked at it in that 20 years. I noted cracks in only 2 rooms at opposite ends of an 8 room house so it's not that it looks like a complete section is moving. I think I'm overthinking the issue and being overly cautious because of my heightened stress these days. Anyway, we'll soon find out:ph34r:.

The kitchen is a quandary. When I looked at it on line it looked like a definite replacement job but I was gobsmacked when we viewed it as, despite it's age, it looked like it had been installed that day. It would be a terrible waste, and a crying shame, to just rip it out. However, it isn't configured to take our modern appliances. I'll get the guy that installed our kitchen to have a look and see if it's possible to just alter the layout and put a new worktop down as that would save a lot. The design would then be more 'retro' than our existing kitchen but it is very nice and very obvious quality.
Owdo

Nowt like actually seeing the real thing.

Maybe you're looking too hard as well. Looking for anything wrong and then escalating it when you see something, expecting the worst.

Blue

Legendary Member
I know you like a mystery/puzzle Classic so here's one that arrived yesterday.

Back 5-6 years ago when I was still cycling outdoors I had a 12 mile loop that I often used. Most of the route was on good wide roads but a small section was on a narrow country road which had a stone bridge that seemed to just span the corner of an open field - no river or even dried up river bed. Anyway, on one side of the road was a removal firm and as they are a local family firm with a good reputation I had decided that I would give them a call for a quote. The firm must keep an eye on the local 'sale agreed' properties as I got a letter with a sales flyer from them. The thing that intrigued me was the address "Ballygrainey Halt, Ballycrochan Road, Bangor. I presume that is reference to an old railway halt and the bridge had once spanned a long gone railway.

On the neighbourhood walk that I take Mrs B round every day there are what look like old railway cottages on the end of Ashley Drive that is close to Churchill Park. This area isn't too far from that old bridge so I'm wondering if there was a railway line to bring folk down to the coast at one time. It's hard to imagine because the area is so built up but I must see if I can dig up an old map some day - just out of interest.

Blue

Legendary Member
Owdo

Nowt like actually seeing the real thing.

Maybe you're looking too hard as well. Looking for anything wrong and then escalating it when you see something, expecting the worst.
I have a feeling, and hope, it could be that as the purchaser for our place had something similar and brought a relative who operates in the building trade to us for a 2nd look to content themselves. That's why I'm going for a survey that's beyond a simple valuation - I don't have any relatives 'in the trade'.

I have to admit that these days I can get more anxious than I used to. I think that's just the raised stress level caused by the dementia as with that being a progressive syndrome it just seem impossible to settle to it - the beast just keeps growing. Back in the day there was a song that I loved and I find the 2 closing lines both poignant and apt these days - one of the reasons that I'm introducing change as I feel that will help pull both of us out of the malaise

View: https://youtu.be/_cNbOmVgFuc

classic33

Leg End Member
I have a feeling, and hope, it could be that as the purchaser for our place had something similar and brought a relative who operates in the building trade to us for a 2nd look to content themselves. That's why I'm going for a survey that's beyond a simple valuation - I don't have any relatives 'in the trade'.

I have to admit that these days I can get more anxious than I used to. I think that's just the raised stress level caused by the dementia as with that being a progressive syndrome it just seem impossible to settle to it - the beast just keeps growing. Back in the day there was a song that I loved and I find the 2 closing lines both poignant and apt these days - one of the reasons that I'm introducing change as I feel that will help pull both of us out of the malaise

View: https://youtu.be/_cNbOmVgFuc

Hey, your about to move house, you've every right to be anxious. On moving alone, don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

You might just get to the new house, fancy beans on toast, and realise you left the tin opener behind.

Blue

Legendary Member
Hey, your about to move house, you've every right to be anxious. On moving alone, don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

You might just get to the new house, fancy beans on toast, and realise you left the tin opener behind.
Thanks Classic.
The only thing that will be left behind is a silver coin from my collection that I placed under the flooring at the entrance - my good luck charm. I'll put another one at the entrance to our new home, as I've done with every place I've lived. Superstitious, never!!

classic33

Leg End Member
Thanks Classic.
The only thing that will be left behind is a silver coin from my collection that I placed under the flooring at the entrance - my good luck charm. I'll put another one at the entrance to our new home, as I've done with every place I've lived. Superstitious, never!!
I've relatives that put a pair of shoes over the door of their houses. There'll always be somewhere to come home to and as a sign of settling down.

The old house, now gone, had a pair over the door that were moved to the new house(1981) when they moved there.

Blue

Legendary Member
I've relatives that put a pair of shoes over the door of their houses. There'll always be somewhere to come home to and as a sign of settling down.

The old house, now gone, had a pair over the door that were moved to the new house(1981) when they moved there.
I still have a couple of pairs of shoes from that era(early 80’s) that get occasional use. the shoes were the same make and style and were used for work on alternate days. I kept getting them reheeled and resoled and they just kept going. I retired 15 years ago but I drag them out when invited to weddings or the like. A piece of quality.

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
Owdo
The day, or have you done something up there.

Wouldn't yours* be from it drying out?

Morning??
*I've assumed you're talking about a building and not a person for this.
I've been oop hill playing radio again^_^
Nice contact with someone on Scafell Pike doing the same (VHF)..
logs to write :wacko:

Settlement,
it isn't that bad..
bit disconcerting but we haven't bought new before..
nearing time for builder to come back and investigate and do any remedial work..

Crosby, Stills and Nash, eh?
Treasured the copy of the first self titled album, had the above album but preferred the first...
thought the addition of Neil Young took a different direction.
Play Travelling Wilburys a lot....
It's all playlists nowadays...

off for a coffee

Blue

Legendary Member
I have always liked Neil Young.

I have a vivid memory from a summer in the 1980's when I was working in Dublin and they were having a heatwave. I'd been out for a training run and was a bit heat exhausted so as I exited the shower I passed the fridge and grabbed an ice cold cola just a the radio DJ started playing 'Cortez the killer' which just sounded so perfect on that balmy night.

Last edited:
Top Bottom