Tea?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Blue

Legendary Member
Your list match his, and did you give him a copy of yours?

Nice to hear things are moving along. Assuming paperwork signed this week, New Year equal new house?
No, I didn't provide any list, as such, but I did mention a couple of issues that I couldn't evaluate for myself and they turned out to be fine.

I knew the main issues related to the kitchen and bathroom so I had budgeted for immediate refurbs there. The surveyor confirmed that they were the main cost areas and said that once they were sorted that the property was basically sound with just a need for basic maintenance and redecorating. There are certainly a lot of maintenance issues but if the sale of our place completes we will be able to get everything done quickly. Even if we don't get completion of our sale there is enough in the kitty to get the major works done immediately and then most, if not all, of the rest done within a few months.

The one oddity is a plasterwork finish that I had noted in a few areas such as the kitchen and hall - that lumpy/stippled effect that was once in fashion. The surveyor named that as 'Artex' finish and, apparently, the lumpy bits 'may' contain asbestos so that has to be carefully removed as any work involving drilling etc may release fibres. That said the surveyor said that plenty of contractors can do the work and it's inexpensive. Apart from that, some of the water pipes have hessian lagging and it's suggested that that also be replaced in case of asbestos content.

There are other fairly minor things that need to be looked at.

As to the paperwork, that will be down to the solicitor as items like planning permissions and guarantees etc for previous works will need checking. I'd like to think we'll get a January move but how far into the new year I wouldn't like to guess. It would be convenient if there's an overlap between completion dates so that we have a chance to get some of the work done before we move in but the surveyor felt it would be OK to move in and get the work done around us.

I'm going to be busy - but I knew that!

classic33

Leg End Member
No, I didn't provide any list, as such, but I did mention a couple of issues that I couldn't evaluate for myself and they turned out to be fine.

I knew the main issues related to the kitchen and bathroom so I had budgeted for immediate refurbs there. The surveyor confirmed that they were the main cost areas and said that once they were sorted that the property was basically sound with just a need for basic maintenance and redecorating. There are certainly a lot of maintenance issues but if the sale of our place completes we will be able to get everything done quickly. Even if we don't get completion of our sale there is enough in the kitty to get the major works done immediately and then most, if not all, of the rest done within a few months.

The one oddity is a plasterwork finish that I had noted in a few areas such as the kitchen and hall - that lumpy/stippled effect that was once in fashion. The surveyor named that as 'Artex' finish and, apparently, the lumpy bits 'may' contain asbestos so that has to be carefully removed as any work involving drilling etc may release fibres. That said the surveyor said that plenty of contractors can do the work and it's inexpensive. Apart from that, some of the water pipes have hessian lagging and it's suggested that that also be replaced in case of asbestos content.

There are other fairly minor things that need to be looked at.

As to the paperwork, that will be down to the solicitor as items like planning permissions and guarantees etc for previous works will need checking. I'd like to think we'll get a January move but how far into the new year I wouldn't like to guess. It would be convenient if there's an overlap between completion dates so that we have a chance to get some of the work done before we move in but the surveyor felt it would be OK to move in and get the work done around us.

I'm going to be busy - but I knew that!
The bottle of bubbly on hold for the time being then.

The speed you were going sorting the paperwork, night-time visits to the area, made it seem like you'd not be slowing down. You never bothered trying to leap tall walls, just went through them.

You go quiet over the coming weeks, you're busy.

classic33

Leg End Member
Owdo
Nippy through there too? Roofs and car windscreens all frosted over here.
Not that bad here yet.
Nippy through where though? You been over Bobs way, on the hunt.
'Morning all:hello:

Car windscreen frost free here. Off to the Day Centre with Mrs B in a couple of mins.
Ayup

You still got the sunny weather?

Morning??
One Of Those Days.jpg

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
Nippy through there too? Roofs and car windscreens all frosted over here.
Sorry, late reply:blush:
Actually wasn't bad,
I got distracted this morning..
Beag wanted his wee cars fixed..
so eventually managed to get my chain cleaned after just blasting the bike with the bigger hose yesterday, I'm still using dry lube as I'd hate to think a wet lubed chain would cope in these woody tracks, backpaths plus other non-roads I use.
I've never known poor Polly to be so bogging....
Owdo'like^_^

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
@Mo1959
Oor cooncil on the ball^_^
IMG_1297.jpeg

or almost:laugh:

Took a quick chance of a short cycle due to failing light, must organise with lights but TBH best avoiding the roads after schools out until after teatime...some loonies out there..
enjoy your evening, folks..

Blue

Legendary Member
The bottle of bubbly on hold for the time being then.

The speed you were going sorting the paperwork, night-time visits to the area, made it seem like you'd not be slowing down. You never bothered trying to leap tall walls, just went through them.

You go quiet over the coming weeks, you're busy.
The bubbly will have to wait until the booze isles are open at my shopping times(they're closed under Covid restrictions).

Yes, I'm in a quiet time until we get some news from the solicitor. Meanwhile, I've made up sheets for the various jobs required and I'm trawling the internet for various contractors. It's a bit like that time at the start of a race when "on your marks" has been called and it's time to settle and get ready for "Set" then "Go".

I'm finding that Covid is having an effect as some contractors are only doing emergency work and others are working at a generally reduced capacity. I get the impression that things will take their own time!

Top Bottom