Team BKool CycleChat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BILL S

Guru
Thanks Jacob that's really interesting - particularly as I have just had an email back from canyon saying: "The damage to your bike looks unlike anything I have ever seen before" - and asking me to send several more photos of the complete bike (which is a right pain as I boxed it back up today!)

Here's a pic of what I'm missing out on enjoying :sad:
View attachment 368333

Amazing looking bike Paul and way better looking than mine. The dark graphics and the discs along with the Cosmics are really something.
Unfortunately I have more bad news and this is about the Cosmics. Mine originally came with the Cosmics too and I loved them until I realised how they affected the bikes handling. Bottom line was that on mine the combination of deep rimmed wheels and steep head angle was lethal, not only on fast downhills but up at any decent speed where there were crosswinds or fairly light gusts. After a couple of weeks of going out round my usual loop I had those wheels on ebay (got £600 for them) and a new set of standard Ultegra wheels on the bike. The handling was much improved but the bike didn't look nearly as good. Now at least I only had the speed wobbles up at near 40mph and handling not much affected by wind. Sorry to be throwing a spanner in the works but jus tbe extra cautious at first with those wheels on until you establish that they're not a problem for you or you get them on ebay. Good thing is that they sell easily and you didn't pay nearly as much extra for them on the Canyon as they would cost for a new set.

bridgy

Legendary Member
Amazing looking bike Paul and way better looking than mine. The dark graphics and the discs along with the Cosmics are really something.
Unfortunately I have more bad news and this is about the Cosmics. Mine originally came with the Cosmics too and I loved them until I realised how they affected the bikes handling. Bottom line was that on mine the combination of deep rimmed wheels and steep head angle was lethal, not only on fast downhills but up at any decent speed where there were crosswinds or fairly light gusts. After a couple of weeks of going out round my usual loop I had those wheels on ebay (got £600 for them) and a new set of standard Ultegra wheels on the bike. The handling was much improved but the bike didn't look nearly as good. Now at least I only had the speed wobbles up at near 40mph and handling not much affected by wind. Sorry to be throwing a spanner in the works but jus tbe extra cautious at first with those wheels on until you establish that they're not a problem for you or you get them on ebay. Good thing is that they sell easily and you didn't pay nearly as much extra for them on the Canyon as they would cost for a new set.
Oh blimey - not what I wanted to hear, but thanks for the advice anyhow! Sounds like I should have asked on here before making my buying decision!

I think they look great too - I would like to get the chance to see how they feel for me but take your point about riding in wind (which is just about always, right?!)

Having said that if Canyon don't get their finger out soon and sort out the return of this bike I'll be asking for a refund anyway and looking for something else!

LBHIFI

Veteran
There is a hole in the box - possibly something pierced it in transit and did the damage. I have sent them pics of the box damage too
Bummer :sad:
Same thing happened to me with my TT bike
upload_2017-8-17_14-10-39.png

There was also a hole in the box.
upload_2017-8-17_14-15-11.png

Daddy Pig

Veteran
Oh blimey - not what I wanted to hear, but thanks for the advice anyhow! Sounds like I should have asked on here before making my buying decision!

I think they look great too - I would like to get the chance to see how they feel for me but take your point about riding in wind (which is just about always, right?!)

Having said that if Canyon don't get their finger out soon and sort out the return of this bike I'll be asking for a refund anyway and looking for something else!
Still, they'll work great on bkool...

LBHIFI

Veteran

Well, I have similar Cosmics on my race bike (an older Canyon Aeroad) and rarely had any problem with wind, and wind we have plenty of here in DK.

LBHIFI

Veteran
Wow - yeah that's a nasty crack. Was that a new bike from Planet X? Did they handle the return of the bike well?
It was the one I originally ordered a few years ago. There were no problems getting a replacement - except the black frames were out of stock so I had to settle for a white.

Daddy Pig

Veteran
Well, I have similar Cosmics on my race bike (an older Canyon Aeroad) and rarely had any problem with wind, and wind we have plenty of here in DK.
It's so windy where I live on Dartmoor the rain is horizontal, and it rains a lot!

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum

Long term I'd be thinking about getting a new frame Bill. Just doesn't sound like your canyon is the right frame for you.

bobinski

Legendary Member
Well, Giant have just told me that the damage to my bike falls outside warranty. The reality is the hanger was damaged either when i was knocked of OR following day when bike lbs changed disc pads IF they removed and re-tightened rear wheel. I am not even sure they would need to do so. so this:
cannondale-caad12-disc-road-bike-frameset-2017-p322758-454794_medium.jpg

or this:

Giant-TCR-Advanced-1-Disc-2017-Road-Bike_97736_1_Supersize.jpg

I would need to buy new seat post and likely stem/handle bar for the Caad-i don't think i could swap over from my Giant advanced pro because of proprietary sises/shapes. Then there's build up costs. While i could swap out the ultegra shifters if i didn't get on with those huge 105's on the TCR.

I love the purple old school cannondale colour but i don't mind at all the neon green of the Giant ^_^

OR
BEST OF BOTH WORLDS?

cannondale-caad12-ultegra-disc-2017-road-bike-green-EV280308-6000-1.jpg

Breedon

Legendary Member
Well, Giant have just told me that the damage to my bike falls outside warranty. The reality is the hanger was damaged either when i was knocked of OR following day when bike lbs changed disc pads IF they removed and re-tightened rear wheel. I am not even sure they would need to do so. so this:
View attachment 368427
or this:

View attachment 368428

I would need to buy new seat post and likely stem/handle bar for the Caad-i don't think i could swap over from my Giant advanced pro because of proprietary sises/shapes. Then there's build up costs. While i could swap out the ultegra shifters if i didn't get on with those huge 105's on the TCR.

I love the purple old school cannondale colour but i don't mind at all the neon green of the Giant ^_^

OR
BEST OF BOTH WORLDS?

View attachment 368429
Bottom one gets my vote :okay:

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
View attachment 368427
or this:

View attachment 368428

OR
BEST OF BOTH WORLDS?

View attachment 368429

But luck mate

But maybe it's time too think about future proofing...

IMG_1440.JPG

bridgy

Legendary Member
View attachment 368427
or this:

View attachment 368428

OR
BEST OF BOTH WORLDS?

View attachment 368429
I like the TCR a lot - as long as you can live with that colour!

BILL S

Guru
Long term I'd be thinking about getting a new frame Bill. Just doesn't sound like your canyon is the right frame for you.

You're right about that Tommy. I keep promising I'll go racing but I somehow never get round to it. Not that I could right now with my balance still not back to normal yet. My canyon is fine until you need a lot out of it then it does not perform. Great bike apart from that though. looking at the frames above I can see how the rake angle on those frames looks much more stable than on my bike. Maybe just buy a new frame and transfer all the bits but that's quite a hassle and the Canyon does perform rather well on the turbo...

Top Bottom