Team BKool CycleChat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

keithaitch

Veteran
Quick reminder to recent new members that tyre make and more importantly, tyre pressures make a massive difference to bkool turbo performance. For most rides you would want as high a pressure as possible (120 psi minimum) and it's only on the steep rides like last night that a reduction in tyre pressure might be useful to prevent wheel-spin. last night I reduced mine to 100 psi and it seemed to work well. It's very different compared to on the road where tyre pressure makes little difference. This is because of the small diameter roller on the bkool turbo whereas on the road it's like an infinite diameter roller. Some of the guys here have gone from mid fielders to near the front by increasing their tyre pressures. You will of course need a track pump for this.
Bill this is immensly useful, many many thx. I had been getting some slip when having to go into one of my bottom two gears on the really steep sections, especially if up out of the saddle, to the extent that i was changing up and pushing a lower cadence to make it less jerky. I thought of increasing the pressure, but now realise that you are right a little less pressure will give better grip on the rollerand so less slip. Obviously on flatter rides the highest possible pressure is needed. Thanks again. I know this is just part of your master plan to get me to qualify 5th for the nc so you can sit back, and enjoy the suffering of others, perhaps quaffing a cold beverage at the same time! I hate you.

Aleman

Knees are FUBAR but I don't like to mention it
As an alternative to decreasing your tyre pressure to reduce slip going up hill, can I recommend adding 10-15Kg to your body weight. :whistle:

As a lightweight I find I get little, if any, slip using my Conti GP4000s II tyres, even putting the power down out of the saddle on a 10% gradient, and thats with them inflated to 120psi ... of course it is an expensive tyre to run on a trainer

Aleman

@Aleman - where are you getting cheaper prices for the Absolute Black chainrings? When I was looking recently they were actually coming out slightly more expensive for 6800 rings.
@peterob Direct from Absolute Black although they look to have increased a bit now :sad: and it may well have been that when I was looking for new chain rings I wasn't looking at the best price ... any idea where to go for Ultegras??

BILL S

Guru
Bill this is immensly useful, many many thx. I had been getting some slip when having to go into one of my bottom two gears on the really steep sections, especially if up out of the saddle, to the extent that i was changing up and pushing a lower cadence to make it less jerky. I thought of increasing the pressure, but now realise that you are right a little less pressure will give better grip on the rollerand so less slip. Obviously on flatter rides the highest possible pressure is needed. Thanks again. I know this is just part of your master plan to get me to qualify 5th for the nc so you can sit back, and enjoy the suffering of others, perhaps quaffing a cold beverage at the same time! I hate you.

HaHa you know me too well already Keith :tongue:

But happy I could help :smile:

peterob

Veteran
@peterob Direct from Absolute Black although they look to have increased a bit now :sad: and it may well have been that when I was looking for new chain rings I wasn't looking at the best price ... any idea where to go for Ultegras??

CRC & Wiggle have got the 53T 6800 for £81. The inners are out of stock there at the moment but you can normally get them for about £20.

I'm contemplating going the other way from you. I'm running semi-compact 52/36 with an 11/28 cassette. This is great for normal use, but for a day in the north Wales hills I could do with something lower. It'd be too pricey for me to change the rear for 11/32 as I'd need to change the RD (maybe get away with just the cage) and I also like the closer gears of the 11/28 (I'm used to riding a triple). So I was looking at a 50/34 with ovals instead to make it a bit easier.

Disclaimer: I take no responsibility for any ensuing debate about the merits (or otherwise) of oval chainrings ^_^

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
Quick reminder to recent new members that tyre make and more importantly, tyre pressures make a massive difference to bkool turbo performance. For most rides you would want as high a pressure as possible (120 psi minimum) and it's only on the steep rides like last night that a reduction in tyre pressure might be useful to prevent wheel-spin. last night I reduced mine to 100 psi and it seemed to work well. It's very different compared to on the road where tyre pressure makes little difference. This is because of the small diameter roller on the bkool turbo whereas on the road it's like an infinite diameter roller. Some of the guys here have gone from mid fielders to near the front by increasing their tyre pressures. You will of course need a track pump for this.
Sshhhhh, you're giving all my secrets away :whistle:

Saying that I try to keep mine at 100-105 for all courses. Every now and then I'll notice I've had a slow run and when I check the tyre it's gone back down to 80 psi, so I have to pump it up again.

BILL S

Guru
Sshhhhh, you're giving all my secrets away :whistle:

Saying that I try to keep mine at 100-105 for all courses. Every now and then I'll notice I've had a slow run and when I check the tyre it's gone back down to 80 psi, so I have to pump it up again.
Sorry Carl. I just wanted to make sure Keith would have every possible advantage against the Danish & Spanish during the NC event :angel: .

bridgy

Legendary Member
@BILL S you're obviously doing something right as I've noticed your time on the stage last night was 4 minutes quicker than in the NC last year! You might say this makes sense as in the NC it was the second of 3 stages so the first stage may have taken something out of you etc. but AAAC and I were 5 minutes slower last night!

Daddy Pig

Veteran
I'm quite jealous that you can get out of the saddle, I'm never able to due to slippage :ohmy:.
I just have to tap out a pace when the gradients above 8.5% otherwise I'm grinding :ohmy:

keithaitch

Veteran
C
@BILL S you're obviously doing something right as I've noticed your time on the stage last night was 4 minutes quicker than in the NC last year! You might say this makes sense as in the NC it was the second of 3 stages so the first stage may have taken something out of you etc. but AAAC and I were 5 minutes slower last night!
Could @BILL S 's motivation be the tantalising thought of catching a glimpse of me in Lycra, just out of reach ?

keithaitch

Veteran
I'm quite jealous that you can get out of the saddle, I'm never able to due to slippage :ohmy:.
I just have to tap out a pace when the gradients above 8.5% otherwise I'm grinding :ohmy:
my real world style, which i keep going for as long as I can on long long climbs, is to get out of the saddle (a la Contador...though not quite so dancey (or fast!) at every km post for about half a km (150 revs) and then sit. I find this increasees my climbing speed dramtically. It is therefore quite strange for me to just sit and tap out tempo on a climb. That said last night I was knackered and couldn't get up to try to chase down @perswe on the last climb

keithaitch

Veteran
If I love somebody set them free. Scandi in her glory, freed from bkool shackles. Barcelona looking nice in the background. If anybody is ever here ,let me known and I'll source you a bike and we can ride in these hills that are only 15minutes from the centre and climb to 500m.

Attachments

• IMG_20180112_143609.jpg
    IMG_20180112_143609.jpg
    237.1 KB · Views: 43

Daddy Pig

Veteran
If I love somebody set them free. Scandi in her glory, freed from bkool shackles. Barcelona looking nice in the background. If anybody is ever here ,let me known and I'll source you a bike and we can ride in these hills that are only 15minutes from the centre and climb to 500m.
Is that up where the revolving restaurant is?

Aleman

That photo doesn't convince me you are on a gradient ... it's easy to spot because the sea horizon is sloping :whistle: :biggrin:

Top Bottom