Team BKool CycleChat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
CRC & Wiggle have got the 53T 6800 for £81. The inners are out of stock there at the moment but you can normally get them for about £20.

I'm contemplating going the other way from you. I'm running semi-compact 52/36 with an 11/28 cassette. This is great for normal use, but for a day in the north Wales hills I could do with something lower. It'd be too pricey for me to change the rear for 11/32 as I'd need to change the RD (maybe get away with just the cage) and I also like the closer gears of the 11/28 (I'm used to riding a triple). So I was looking at a 50/34 with ovals instead to make it a bit easier.

Disclaimer: I take no responsibility for any ensuing debate about the merits (or otherwise) of oval chainrings ^_^
Are you riding ovals now? I had Biopace back in the 80s but they never felt right.

theboxers

TheBoxers on Cycle Sim sw
CRC & Wiggle have got the 53T 6800 for £81. The inners are out of stock there at the moment but you can normally get them for about £20.

I'm contemplating going the other way from you. I'm running semi-compact 52/36 with an 11/28 cassette. This is great for normal use, but for a day in the north Wales hills I could do with something lower. It'd be too pricey for me to change the rear for 11/32 as I'd need to change the RD (maybe get away with just the cage) and I also like the closer gears of the 11/28 (I'm used to riding a triple). So I was looking at a 50/34 with ovals instead to make it a bit easier.

Disclaimer: I take no responsibility for any ensuing debate about the merits (or otherwise) of oval chainrings ^_^
You need something like Road Link or https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UK-Bicyc...hash=item3f8b5576db:m:mZI32HsS8Cge-BBR9Gvnrcg.

I am running an 52/36 and an 11-42 with my med RD off of one. No issues at all apart form initial setup problems (that took me about 15 minutes to sort out). I have about 1500mile or so on it now.

BILL S

Guru
@BILL S you're obviously doing something right as I've noticed your time on the stage last night was 4 minutes quicker than in the NC last year! You might say this makes sense as in the NC it was the second of 3 stages so the first stage may have taken something out of you etc. but AAAC and I were 5 minutes slower last night!

The reason for that is simple. During the Nations Cup last year I knew I was the weakest out of everyone on that climb so no matter how hard I tried I would get one point. I therefore aimed to do the stage as slow as possible but still get to the start line for the velodrome stage.

Daddy Pig

Veteran
The more riders the better it became. You would get groups of people chasing others down which became quite hilarious and was a real buzz! Then the final sprint strategies a bit like you'd see in a breakaway in a tdf stage!

Good memories... except where someone decided to put me at the back behind @AAAC 76C and @bridgy for a couple of stages... like I could catch up to those guys!

Daddy Pig

Veteran
The reason for that is simple. During the Nations Cup last year I knew I was the weakest out of everyone on that climb so no matter how hard I tried I would get one point. I therefore aimed to do the stage as slow as possible but still get to the start line for the velodrome stage.
Don't worry Bill... I whole heartily struggled on that stage in the NC as well! I wanted to make sure I had some rest time before the velo started! My issue is that the likes of pep managed to have a rest of nearly 30 minutes whilst we got less than 15...

Last edited:

AAAC 76C

Large Member
:cry:
Don't worry Bill... I was whole heartily struggled on that stage in the NC as well! I wanted to make sure I had some rest time before the velo started! My issue is that the likes of pep managed to have a rest of nearly 30 minutes whilst we got less than 15...

Like Pocket Pep needs a rest.
I have seen him do 3 back to back BKool Cup session winning rides on more than 1 occasion.
That's why I like to take pops whenever I can.
Coz I'm envious!
And then you best him on the odd occasion so he rides it again and beats you by 2 minutes!:cry:

Daddy Pig

Veteran
:cry:

Like Pocket Pep needs a rest.
I have seen him do 3 back to back BKool Cup session winning rides on more than 1 occasion.
That's why I like to take pops whenever I can.
Coz I'm envious!
And then you best him on the odd occasion so he rides it again and beats you by 2 minutes!:cry:
I liked beating him and Jacob on the SC time trial stage 1... for them to come back and beat me! It was a bit of ping pong for a while but I think I was only about 2 seconds down on them in the end! That was pretty much a 10km sprint!

humphuk

Regular
A quick note on variables on a Tacx Bushido. Tyre choice and pressure are important to stop slipping. I stick to 100psi on a specific turbo tyre, as I have to "calibrate" the trainer to tell the truth. The internal calibration is with a spin-down test. HOWEVER this never agrees with my Garmin Vector pedals. SOOO I have to calibrate...then change the loading between the tyre and trainer to bring it into line. Much Faff....but I am happy with the numbers. Of course these adjustments could be used for digital doping.....I assume anyone without a Bushido would have gone to sleep by now, but last thing....shifted the channels on my wi-fi not to interfere with the ANT+ signal...much more stable.

Top Bottom