Team BKool CycleChat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bridgy

Legendary Member
You weren't holding me back.
I have had the odd day that I can't seem to get my HR up and today looked like one of those and it concerns me that if I push too hard I will get into trouble so although my HR was down I was working reasonably hard.
I wasn't until I spun out a couple of time on the descents that the 4th cylinder kicked in so having been goaded by DP I decided that if I couldn't keep you up to the pace of that Red Hat Spanish lightweight (54kg)I would try and jump across to him knowing that if I could get within 20 seconds of him I would catch him on the descent.
I can't believe how hard I had to dig on the top of the big climb and he was still going away but gravity was on my side on the descent and I caught him when I was resting (relatively) .
I think catching the other guy (68kg) was out of the question.
I'd forgotten how hard that was last year but even then, in the Nations Cup, I was so far ahead of the guy in 4th I coasted up the last climb once I realised I was not going to catch Tommy Watt. That put me in good stead for the Velodrome session, one of the first in and already rested.
None the less I was 5 minutes quicker then.
Perhaps BSim/BKool SW/FW is catching up with us.
Yeah I was about 6 minutes quicker on that route in the NC last year. I definitely think those kind of climbs in particular are harder & lower watts than they used to be on bkool.

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
Heard on the news tonight that "we are a rapidly ageing population" - trying to follow you guys has certainly made me feel that way...but somehow I now feel comforted by the idea
I'm with you @humphuk ..... i feel I still have a few years left yet to get anywhere near my peak fitness :training: Certainly miles fitter than I was when first jumped onto Bkool just over 2 years ago. First 18 months my riding was stop/start due to work commitments but this past year I've had more time and focus and definitely seeing the results (if we ignore tonight's ride which brought back memories of days gone by when I was always the last man standing!)

keithaitch

Veteran
I'm on my tablet @keithaitch and although I can view the spreadsheet it won't let me input anything in it, so would you mind inputting my stage 2 time of 51.24 please? Cheers
I'd be honoured too. I would have killed myself if I'd tried to stay with you two at the beginning. You then held onto AAAc valiantly for ages and ages and then rode it home on your own, when you must have been knackered and just hiolding on after the effort you'd made earlier, like a star. well ridden sir. :notworthy::notworthy::popcorn:

keithaitch

Veteran
@BILL S @Whorty @humphuk guys, I've tried, in vain to get your times for last night through searching bkool, but all I can get is the total time, not the actual time you suffered, as i did, on cinctorres. Could you give them to me so I can put them on the the spreadsheet, for completeness. Thx. Hope you have recovered, I'm not relishing my trip into the big hills behind Barcelona this afternoon!

BILL S

Guru
@BILL S @Whorty @humphuk guys, I've tried, in vain to get your times for last night through searching bkool, but all I can get is the total time, not the actual time you suffered, as i did, on cinctorres. Could you give them to me so I can put them on the the spreadsheet, for completeness. Thx. Hope you have recovered, I'm not relishing my trip into the big hills behind Barcelona this afternoon!

Excellent ride Keith. :smile: I have just about recovered physically and emotionally :wacko:. Probably what surprised me the most was managing to be only a minute or so behind yourself. For a short time I thought you might weaken enough for me to catch up but you held on then pulled some additional time on my by the end.
My time was 59.02. Thanks.

bridgy

Legendary Member
@keithaitch - Whorty's was 1:07.54, and Humphuk's 1:00.46

Aleman

Knees are FUBAR but I don't like to mention it
@keithaitch - Whorty's was 1:07.54, and Humphuk's 1:00.46
Added, I've copied Whorty's time to all those who haven't set a time and sorted it. I have also copied Whortys time to all the other users that have not yet set a time so that it's an accurate reflection of the league standings.

Just noticed that @keithaitch has also changed it to add the extra 10% :biggrin: ... The bad news is that after removing Per, I'm still 5th Man standing :eek::eek: Come on someone please record a faster time!!

Last edited:

theboxers

TheBoxers on Cycle Sim sw
Lightweight at 66Kg perhaps, Young - Veteran 2 at 54, with a birthday coming up in 6 weeks ... Mentally probably just out of nappies really :rofl:

More of a puncheur than a true climber. Shortish Steep climbs love them, long shallow ones, hate them, Long Steep ones, lets face it no one likes those!

I'm going to have to do some work to get my cadence up, but then minute that happens even at low watts, heart rate climbs. Need to do another Maximal Heart Rate test, as the value I'm using now (203BPM) was set climbing one of the local hills 18 months or more ago. Just have no aerobic fitness, which is annoying me as I used to run marathons in good times ... I just have to remind myself that it was 30-35 years ago though :biggrin:
Here ya go. Your Bday present to yourself
ra,unisex_tshirt,x1850,101010 01c5ca27c6,front-c,435,380,420,460-bg,f8f8f8.lite-1u2.jpg

vGSf4z

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
Added, I've copied Whorty's time to all those who haven't set a time and sorted it. I have also copied Whortys time to all the other users that have not yet set a time so that it's an accurate reflection of the league standings.

Just noticed that @keithaitch has also changed it to add the extra 10% :biggrin: ... The bad news is that after removing Per, I'm still 5th Man standing :eek::eek: Come on someone please record a faster time!!
Yes, it's always slowest person + 10% In the old days, when I was always last, this is why I finished every league ride .... to ensure those that didn't finish a stage had to suffer being given my time plus an extra 10% :biggrin:

peterob

Veteran
Compact 50/34 and 11-32 ... I feel it's time to move up as well, especially as I have drooped the weight I was carrying when I restarted this cycling lark. I'm thinking of going for a 53/39 But using Absolute Black Oval Rings (You try getting Ultegra 6800 rings nowadays at a reasonable price) ... Cassette wise I'm tempted to stick with the 11-32, although dropping to a 11-28 would hamper climbing that much, but would give a smoother range fr normal riding.

@Aleman - where are you getting cheaper prices for the Absolute Black chainrings? When I was looking recently they were actually coming out slightly more expensive for 6800 rings.

BILL S

Guru
Quick reminder to recent new members that tyre make and more importantly, tyre pressures make a massive difference to bkool turbo performance. For most rides you would want as high a pressure as possible (120 psi minimum) and it's only on the steep rides like last night that a reduction in tyre pressure might be useful to prevent wheel-spin. last night I reduced mine to 100 psi and it seemed to work well. It's very different compared to on the road where tyre pressure makes little difference. This is because of the small diameter roller on the bkool turbo whereas on the road it's like an infinite diameter roller. Some of the guys here have gone from mid fielders to near the front by increasing their tyre pressures. You will of course need a track pump for this.

theboxers

TheBoxers on Cycle Sim sw
Quick reminder to recent new members that tyre make and more importantly, tyre pressures make a massive difference to bkool turbo performance. For most rides you would want as high a pressure as possible (120 psi minimum) and it's only on the steep rides like last night that a reduction in tyre pressure might be useful to prevent wheel-spin. last night I reduced mine to 100 psi and it seemed to work well. It's very different compared to on the road where tyre pressure makes little difference. This is because of the small diameter roller on the bkool turbo whereas on the road it's like an infinite diameter roller. Some of the guys here have gone from mid fielders to near the front by increasing their tyre pressures. You will of course need a track pump for this.
@BILL S :angry: You're giving away the secrets :stop: I got to have some help where the new riders are concerned :mrpig: :whistle:

Top Bottom