Team BKool CycleChat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

peterob

Veteran
Sounds like the stepper motor has got itself stuck.
When it winds into the lowest resistance it is very close to getting stuck.
Take the covers off, undo the two screws hold the stepper motor on and slide it out backwards.
No need to undo the small cable connection to the PCB but be sure not to strain it.
Once the stepper motor and magnet carrier are free from the turbo wind the carrier by hand down the brass screw.
If it was a bit tight to start with that confirms the diagnosis.
To prevent this happening again try and get some small thin washers between the stepper motor and the trainer body before putting the two screws back in.

Before you do any dismantling once you have the covers of switch the turbo on and look see what it going on. Press the reset motor a couple of times if need be.
Happy to send some phots if you need them.

I noticed a similar sound to @theboxers last night from my turbo. When I switched on there was a reverberating sound for a few seconds, which stopped and then repeated a second time.

I'm wondering if my stepper motor was getting stuck then this may explain the low watts I've been experiencing the last couple of weeks but I can't see how. If the motor were stuck in an 'easy' position then I'd expect to be getting higher watts (as the roller speed would be higher than I'd normally push). Conversely, if the motor was stuck in a 'hard' position I would get low watts, but my speed would also be low (and if anything I've been going quicker recently).

Thanks for posting the instructions/pics @AAAC 76C. I'll take the covers off tonight and have a close look and try adding some thin washers as you have described if it looks appropriate. One question though...would adding washers constitute 'mechanical doping'? (i.e. would the magnets essentially be the thickness of the washer further away from the flywheel plate and therefore a little bit 'easier'?:ohmy:)

peterob

Veteran
@peterob .
Next time you log into BSim check your devices to make sure your trainer is linked up correctly.
If you haven't already uninstall BSim and clean your registry and then reload from http://www.bkool.com/en-GB/cycling-simulator

Thanks for the suggestions @AAAC 76C. I did actually check my devices were connected yesterday before starting. BSIM was only just installed on the laptop last week.

I've posted above regarding a potential mechanical issue that I'll have a look at tonight.

Last edited:

bridgy

Legendary Member
Excuses excuses.

Felt crap to start with today, like I should have done a recovery ride on Sunday.
None the less once we got the steam up I was OK.
You were strong today again, bit like Stage 1 on Saturday.
That @peterob would have been handy on Saturday in the TTT
According to Strava, fastest time so far on that course - considering my legs were still aching and fragile from Saturday, quite happy with that!

Edit: I should clarify I mean MY fastest time so far - still only 5th on Strava behind Bkool legends like the mighty Turbo Tommy & Jacob Skovsgaard!

Last edited:

AAAC 76C

Large Member
I noticed a similar sound to @theboxers last night from my turbo. When I switched on there was a reverberating sound for a few seconds, which stopped and then repeated a second time.

I'm wondering if my stepper motor was getting stuck then this may explain the low watts I've been experiencing the last couple of weeks but I can't see how. If the motor were stuck in an 'easy' position then I'd expect to be getting higher watts (as the roller speed would be higher than I'd normally push). Conversely, if the motor was stuck in a 'hard' position I would get low watts, but my speed would also be low (and if anything I've been going quicker recently).

Thanks for posting the instructions/pics @AAAC 76C. I'll take the covers off tonight and have a close look and try adding some thin washers as you have described if it looks appropriate. One question though...would adding washers constitute 'mechanical doping'? (i.e. would the magnets essentially be the thickness of the washer further away from the flywheel plate and therefore a little bit 'easier'?:ohmy:)

There is a flag on the magnet carrier that interups a sensor to tell the SW that you are nulled so moving the stepper body less than 1 mm will have no impact on its operation.
Stick larger spacers under the flange and the stepper drive shaft will pop out of its housing which will litterally put the brakes on.

Last edited:

AAAC 76C

Large Member
According to Strava, fastest time so far on that course - considering my legs were still aching and fragile from Saturday, quite happy with that!

Edit: I should clarify I mean MY fastest time so far - still only 5th on Strava behind Bkool legends like the mighty Turbo Tommy & Jacob Skovsgaard!

5th is good. How far behind the ' legends' were you
I am falling behind them now, or they are running away from me, and considering my age I don't think I will be catching up any time soon.

BILL S

Guru
What tyres are we all using? I think we discussed recently but all I remember is the continental GP4000 coming high up in peoples favorites. I've had a Mavic on for ages which has never shown the slightest signs of wear and never seems to get sticky. I assumed it was good but perhaps it doesn't roll as fast as I first thought. Time for a new tyre I think so wondering what the quickest guys are using?

bridgy

Legendary Member
5th is good. How far behind the ' legends' were you
I am falling behind them now, or they are running away from me, and considering my age I don't think I will be catching up any time soon.
Screenshot_20180221-135728.png

bridgy

Legendary Member
What tyres are we all using? I think we discussed recently but all I remember is the continental GP4000 coming high up in peoples favorites. I've had a Mavic on for ages which has never shown the slightest signs of wear and never seems to get sticky. I assumed it was good but perhaps it doesn't roll as fast as I first thought. Time for a new tyre I think so wondering what the quickest guys are using?
Currently a 25mm conti gp4000s. I was on a different 23mm cheap tyre until recently which seemed to work just fine, but it's getting quite worn so I changed it before the NC. Can't say I noticed any difference. I will have a look and let you know what the other tyre was when I get home - can't remember right now

BILL S

Guru
Currently a 25mm conti gp4000s. I was on a different 23mm cheap tyre until recently which seemed to work just fine, but it's getting quite worn so I changed it before the NC. Can't say I noticed any difference. I will have a look and let you know what the other tyre was when I get home - can't remember right now

Thanks Paul. I'll probably get the conti gp4000s. I've had one on before and it worked well for a while so probably can't go too far wrong with that one. The 25mm one may help slightly with increased contact patch but difficult to say if that makes any difference or not.

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum

If that’s the stage we used for the NC qualifying then my time was defo fairy dust assisted.

peterob

Veteran

I'm currently on conti GP4000s too. For a month around NC qualifying I had slick Vittoria Zaffiro Pro's on. I've not noticed any difference tbh.

peterob

Veteran
There is a flag on the magnet carrier that interups a sensor to tell the SW that you are nulled so moving the stepper body less than 1 mm will have no impact on its operation.

That's good to know - I wouldn't like to think I was getting an unfair advantage.

Now where's that TUE?

Sorry Bridgy I think Bill was talking to me. I'm using a 25mm gatorskin hardshell.

Top Bottom